Stage13-10
wesley106

Should we abandon homework entirely?

Stage13-10

Pro

Yes, because it induces stress and sleeplessness due how frustrating and annoying it can get. I don't think anyone would like to study and do homework both at the same time, because that would be a great annoyance, but people have do it anyway. Yes, everybody knows, it's the real world, but that's no excuse to load kids down with homework everyday, and it's not really a necessity. What I'm saying is: Homework isn't needed at all.
wesley106

Con

First off, I'd like to start off with a normal schedule of a teenager/child in school. Most children that are in school wake up ranging from 5:30 to 6:00 and are in school until 2:20 - 3:30 or varying depending on where you live. Most children have bedtimes no earlier than 9 o'clock and sometimes later. That leaves you 6 hours to finish all school work and also allots time for you to have a social life and/or free time. I'm a high school student that takes Advanced Placement (pre-college) courses on top of my regular core classes. On average, I spent anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours on homework a night which leaves me the proper time to have fun with my friends, use my social media, complete my chores and anything else that I need to do.

Homework is needed to ensure that children are learning the material and know the concepts to the full extent. That's the only way to keep children in check and them to be ready for the next school day. Your house is not the only place you can complete your homework. There is the library, cafeteria, and simply in classrooms whenever teachers allot the time for us to complete it.

You cannot complain about being loaded down with homework because it simply deals with your organization and readiness. If you procrastinate and refuse to do it, then of course you're not going to have it done nor are you going to like it.
Stage13-10

Pro

For starters, homework is not needed because they already learned that in school. And judging by this: 'Homework is needed to ensure that children are learning the material and know the concepts to the full extent. That's the only way to keep children in check and them to be ready for the next school day.' This becomes questionable when: things like computers are in the equation, thus keeping children in check, well, that's up to you, because who knows if got their answers off the internet, and what adds insult to injury, is that you can't differentiate if the answers are real or just (blatantly) copied off the internet.

I am not intentionally saying this to be offensive, but do you really think that all people who don't like homework are lazy procrastinators?

And if homework was as good as it was chalked up to be, why do people hate it so much?
wesley106

Con

When you learn things in school, they are fresh in your brain meaning of course you're going to remember it before you leave the school building. When children retain things, they need to re-fresh it and before bed is the best way to do it. If your work is fresh in your mind either before you go to bed or shortly before you go to bed, when you wake up you're more likely to have retained more information rather than not. That works with anything; a book, a project or maybe even a speech.

Supposing an answer is copied off the internet, that's not going to help you on your test nor will it pertain when you receive a pop quiz on the material you were supposed to do for homework.

No, I do not think that all people that do not like homework are lazy procrastinators because I dislike homework my self. I however do find it useful and feel like I retain much more information as do all students that try to keep their GPA up. I hold a constant 4.25 grade point average because of my Advanced Placement courses on top of my core classes.

Students hate the fact of having homework because they believe as soon as they get home, that is their free time. That's not accurate. You have to earn what you want, and that includes putting the effort and hard work into completing your homework.
Stage13-10

Pro

Learning can be good. It's just the way how it's done that turns kids off from homework. On the general basis that they get it every day can devolve into a repetitive cycle that might burn kids out of learning things. You know the saying, 'everything in moderation?' The homework thing, is just overdone to the point that behavior may become a problem, and the student's well-being is at stake: http://news.stanford.edu... Homework is just there to force you to do it so that you don't fail, not to reinforce your learning capability. When it goes beyond 2 hours, too much is too much. https://www.healthline.com... Scratch that- school is dependent on homework, and your grade point average. Anything else beyond that, is useless.

I know that copying off an answer off the internet will backfire on you during tests, and other consequences for taking the easy way out.

The thing is, home is not supposed to not be school all over again, and that homework seems to stab itself in the back on most occasions.
wesley106

Con

Your resources, yes they state;

"Their study found that too much homework is associated with:

• Greater stress: 56 percent of the students considered homework a primary source of stress, according to the survey data. Forty-three percent viewed tests as a primary stressor, while 33 percent put the pressure to get good grades in that category. Less than 1 percent of the students said homework was not a stressor.

• Reductions in health: In their open-ended answers, many students said their homework load led to sleep deprivation and other health problems. The researchers asked students whether they experienced health issues such as headaches, exhaustion, sleep deprivation, weight loss and stomach problems.

• Less time for friends, family and extracurricular pursuits: Both the survey data and student responses indicate that spending too much time on homework meant that students were "not meeting their developmental needs or cultivating other critical life skills," according to the researchers. Students were more likely to drop activities, not see friends or family, and not pursue hobbies they enjoy."

This information pertains to a homework overload. Meaning if a child is working more than 3 hours or so on their homework these effects may apply. If you work effectively and persistently there is no reason for you to be working on your homework for more than 2 1/2 to 3 hours a night unless you're taking additional classes that you KNOW will require extra work. (i.e AP classes you're informed that your homework load goes up.)

Your argument based on the internet doesn't pertain to the objective of homework, if you know that it's going to backfire then why would you do it? I don't think someone could be such ignorant to do such a thing knowing they will get caught red-handed.

As stated before, home is not school all over again a simple few hours to refresh your memory and finish school work that needs to be finished is all. Homework is necessary to keep children up to par on their studies, if not it could be detrimental to their education. Studying is apart of homework, as well. So, regardless you must complete some homework to pass throughout your school years.

Posted by snkcake666 1 year ago
snkcake666
But that was not my point.
Posted by wesley106 1 year ago
wesley106
Of course with AP courses you're going to have more because it's an advanced course, which I do on average. But normally, my core classes only take up to an hour max of my time to complete studying and all homework.
Posted by wesley106 1 year ago
wesley106
Sorry I could not put this in my rebuttal as I did not see your comment until after it was posted, but here you go.

The National PTA recommendations fall in line with general guidelines suggested by researcher Harris Cooper: 10-20 minutes per night in the first grade, and an additional 10 minutes per grade level thereafter (e.g., 20 minutes for second grade, 120 minutes for twelfth). High school students may sometimes do more, depending on what classes they take (see Review of Educational Research, 2006).
Resource:
http://www.nea.org...
Posted by snkcake666 1 year ago
snkcake666
Full AP class curriculum, and homework can average well around six hours a night. Honestly, homework is just mindless indoctrination to dissuade personalized thought at home hours. Just reinforces the whole 1984 mentality. To them students are no more than capital tools for industrialization, void them of their individuality.
Posted by Willie53 1 year ago
Willie53
both of you make good points but I do think that it would help to introduce some statistics to support your opinions; not just moral values
Vote Placed by diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid 1 year ago
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Stage13-10wesley106Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Before and after the debate, I felt homework (in moderation) is an effective learning tool. Right state learning theory that practicing a lesson after learning it is important for retention of concepts. This is absolutely true. Right gets the edge in arguments because he forced left to change his position. Left initially argued against homework entirely. Then left acknowledged the need for homework in moderation. "Everything in moderation." Left does not support the assertion that homework fails to reinforce learning capability. Left uses sources, which right also cited. While they were both using the same source, right actually used it in the argument rather than making a statement and just including a link.
Vote Placed by kkjnay 1 year ago
kkjnay
Stage13-10wesley106Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither of the debaters were particularly well versed in their respective arguments. However, Pro appeared to give this topic at least some outside examination. Con's argument was really not all that much of an argument, and more so encouragement to do homework so you don't fail.. which is good advice, however is not relevant to the debate topic.
Vote Placed by snkcake666 1 year ago
snkcake666
Stage13-10wesley106Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither side presented a particularly strong argument in itself, and little supporting evidence was provided on this behalf. For that reason, argument will be tied for both side as well as conduct and grammar, since those appeared about equal as well. However, pro did provide some supporting evidence in round three, stating the "stress" of homework. Point for reliable sources goes to Pro.