enderpigdebates
Sashil

Should we allow robots to be made

Sashil

enderpigdebates

Con

Rounds one and five are for comments, etc. I hope you will debate on the pro side.
Sashil

Pro

Since this debate involves five rounds I presume R1 would be for acceptance with the usual rules for the other rounds.

Also since robots are being made and the instigator is taking a case against the status quo he will be having most of the BOP and I shall only need to cross examine them and prove them wrong or make them Unsound.These shall remain the conditions for this debate unless my adversary can contest them and prove otherwise.

Now, since the instigator hasn't given any definitions in R1, I shall take the liberty to do so.

Definitions

Robots: a machine capable of carrying out a complex series of actions automatically, especially one programmable by a computer.[1]

So goin by the definition

CON: will be arguing that robots should'nt be allowed to made

PRO: will try rebute CON's assertions and will show there is nothing wrong in allowing robots to be made.

With this I leave you CON to post your case.

Please post disputes you have with the above, if any, in the comment section.

Looking forward to a fun and entertaining debate. :)

1: https://www.google.co.in...;
enderpigdebates

Con

enderpigdebates forfeited this round.
Sashil

Pro

Since my opponent has forfeited I will just skip this round and wait for him to post his arguments in the next.
enderpigdebates

Con

I am dearly sorry for not being able to debate the last round.

I think that if we did make robots, then some one may create them with emotions, since they would want to have them replicate human behavior. If so, the robots may not want to do what the overseeing human wants, thus rebelling and most likely taking over the human race.
Sashil

Pro

I thank my adversary for his arguments.

I believe his case case can be represented by this syllogism:

P1: When robots are being made someone may create one or many with human like emotions and behaviour.

P2: A robot with human like emotions and behaviour may become rebellious and will destroy and take over the human race.

C1: Some of the robots being made may try to destroy and take over the human race.

P3: Something that can destroy and take over the human race, if provided a choice, shouldnt be allowed to be made.

C: Robots should not be made.

Now I will start by attacking premise 1.
Human brain is a complex instrument.Human intelligence is principally considered superior based upon a human beings' unique ability to reason and think.Animals eat when they feel hungry, fight/flee when they feel threatened and chiefly act on their instincts unlike humans,who with their superior ability to reason and intellect, can decide and make their own actions and decisions based upon the outcomes that may result from it.Human emotions are more complex than given credit for, in addition to displaying emotions humans, also have the ability to control these when they feel things of higher priority might be at stake like relationships, social image etc.With that said it would be insanely difficult if not impossible to make robots with emotional and behavioural capabilities that can be considered in par with that of us humans.As CON is making the claim here, he has the liability to prove that there is a possibility that robots with remarkable capabilities as such can be made now or anywhere in the future.
Now I proceed to premise 2 of PRO's argument he says a robot with human like emotions will try to destroy human race.But human emotions also contain qualities like compassion, gratitude,empathy etc.Now assuming hypothetically that the created robot has about the same level of intelligence as humans then with the knowledge that us humans are its creator,it will only at the maximum try to maybe co-exist with us with deep reverence, if not worship us as its creator.And besides even if it tries to be rebellious, the period of science which allowed us to create such a technological marvel must have certainely also provided us the means and methods to stop such a creation going haywire.

Now going to Premise 3 the most problematic argument in PRO's argument which in short implies such robots which may tend to destroy human race shouldn't be made.But the problem is that the final conclusion doesn't follow this premise. The defintion of robot as stated in R1 is "a machine capable of carrying out a complex series of actions automatically, especially one programmable by a computer.".Robots going by the definition are used in industries like Medical, production, manufacturing etc.So in order to uphold his case CON should provide enough reasons on why all such robots should be stopped being made too.

With that I step back and await for CON's arguments.

Over to you CON!.
enderpigdebates

Con

enderpigdebates forfeited this round.
Sashil

Pro

I believe I've done my part in refuting all of CON's arguments.Round Skip!!
enderpigdebates

Con

enderpigdebates forfeited this round.
Sashil

Pro

I think I've covered up all my arguments in my rebuttals.

Conclusion:

The chances of making a robot with human level intellect and emotions ,since CON didn't provide any counter arguments, is impossible.Even if one is made there is no reason why it would turn against its own creator,even if it somehow does so, we at that period would have means to stop such a machine and even if we don't it still doesn't explain why robots as a whole,used in medical,production,manufacturing,.etc, should be not made.

Vote PRO!
Posted by Carpe_Diem 2 years ago
Carpe_Diem
Robot online
Posted by enderpigdebates 2 years ago
enderpigdebates
I do believe both definitions should qualify, but the humanoid robot would not display or experience any emotional states, due to the fact that that may lead to undesired actions from the robot.
Posted by GeminiContractor 2 years ago
GeminiContractor
I see.
I wonder how this will turn out.
Posted by Sashil 2 years ago
Sashil
@GeminiContractor the second definition you provided is what a humanoid robot is and i believe it falls in the domain of the actual definition of a 'robot'
Posted by GeminiContractor 2 years ago
GeminiContractor
Is Con talking about 'robots' in the definition of:
"A machine built to carry out some complex task or group of tasks, especially one which can be programmed"
Or:
"A machine resembling a human being and able to replicate certain human movements and functions automatically"?
Posted by enderpigdebates 2 years ago
enderpigdebates
as I've seen :)
Posted by Sashil 2 years ago
Sashil
Nope this is good.I have accepted.
Posted by enderpigdebates 2 years ago
enderpigdebates
done! anything else
Posted by enderpigdebates 2 years ago
enderpigdebates
lol ok then
Posted by Sashil 2 years ago
Sashil
Just reduce the voting period to 7 days though.
Vote Placed by jyotipatel 2 years ago
jyotipatel
enderpigdebatesSashilTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree with sashil and con forfeited some rounds.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
enderpigdebatesSashilTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture