danonspark21
fallaciousargument

Should we allow the use of Artificial Intelligence for military purposes?

Started: 10/28/2015 Category: Technology

danonspark21

Pro

Note: This is not an acceptance round, the reason it is larger is to allow for the debate to encompass every thought and argument. This is a philosophical debate that can bring in many arguments.

The reason why I believe Artificial Intelligence is perfect for the army is due to many different factors. We live in an age now where it is possible to have a fully autonomous self driving car, at the moment only as an autopilot software update. Many of our devices also use Artificial Intelligence such as the Siri software on our iPhone and iPads.

Now it is time to realize that the ideas that Artificial Intelligence is bad militarily are false and prejudged. If anything the idea of AI soldiers can be the best reason for defense we have ever thought of. Right now there are predator drones flying all over the USA and Yemen who are trying to stop terrorism and keep our borders safe.

Artificial Intelligence doesn't have to have emotions, the idea of the self-driving car can easily be applied to a self-patrolling drones. Right now, we have hired military staff who are controlling the drones from bases. If anything we can imagine we are actually vulnerable due to the fact that we have computers that are directly controlling these drones. All computerized and can be used for very dangerous things, such as hacking into Las Vegas internet networks (http://www.ibtimes.com...).

However with a fully autonomous Artificial Intelligence based drone that might not be the problem at all! You see Artificial Intelligence doesn't exactly rely on the internet so much as a series of sensors and satellites. Satellites that are programmed to specifically circumnavigate the earth in order to collect information based on where streets and roads cross (http://www.montana.edu...).The same satellites have also been used to find Osama Bin Laden were all from space.

A very important point that needs to be told is the fact that the Artificial Intelligence of a GPS satellite does not function on wifi, it mainly functions on radio waves that are traveling at 300,000,000 miles per second. So it is completely hacker proof (http://www.mio.com...). You see radio waves do not have the same frequency as wifi waves. While Wifi waves operate on an even higher frequency then UHF level( 300-3000 MHz), Radio signals from a GPS satellite only operate on the VHF level of frequency between 30-300 MHz.

What we would be doing with this is going back to the old days of the 1940's when people used to use radio waves in order to contact one another.As for the Enigma Code hacking though, that was the only time in history where a code was hacked against the Nazis and that was all on very basic forms of computers.

Although I have got off point for a second, I only did that in order to have my opponent and audience understand the dynamics of what kind of software Artificial Intelligence is dealing with. It is not the same as the Wifi Links which we all love to think.

My next point is explain how Artificial Intelligence works. Artificial Intelligence is basically a very organized pattern of sensors and logic controls that are used in order to simulate a human mind. For Siri, we like to have Siri speak to us in a certain manner but what people don't notice is that Siri actually only has a few commands EG "Siri, search for table on google". But for most things we say Siri is actually quite useless and does not fully understand or accidentally mistakes another word. As for the "Siri will you marry" phrase those are just joke commands specifically for light hearted humor.I'd like to also point out that one of the simplest forms of Artificial Intelligence is the spelling check right on your phone and computer, we have all wrote the phrase "I'm so ducking mad" before. So what the point I'm trying to make is, yes Artificial Intelligence is similar to a human being but it is still completely the same thing as a machine. Artificial Intelligence has no means in order to think or feel emotions that are not specific to it's design. We shouldn't be worried if robots think because they can't for themselves in a million years.

As for Geopolitics, the two main countries that we fear most of getting this technology militarily, China and Russia, are actually not as bad of enemies as we like to think. China has no interest in destroying America and neither does Russia. Russia has many of it's own issues with the depleting birth rate and economy. What Putin wants to do is recreate Russia to where it was in the Russian Empire and that's it.

And as for China, why would China want to destroy one of it's best customers? That would be like a restaurant owner stabbing his customer to death. The only people who have to worry about having a war with them is the United States for having this aggressive foreign policy of where we have to defend Ukraine or we have to defend Japan, who wants it's own military.
fallaciousargument

Con

Radiowaves are part of the ElectroMagnetic Spectrum which travels at the speed of light, that is, 3*10^8 metres per second, or 300,000,000 metres per second, and NOT 300,000,000 miles per second. Thus your argument is INVALID. I WIN :D
(In fact, my most reliable and only friend, Google, has just informed me that the speed of light in miles per second is 186282) (Can you be my friend?)
danonspark21

Pro

My opponent failed to address the actual debate. You can research Google, your friend, for the definition of a debate.i don't debate trolls I only report them and move on. By the way here in the USA it is spelled Meters NOT metres.
fallaciousargument

Con

fallaciousargument forfeited this round.
danonspark21

Pro

I have just blocked this creature from accepting anymore debates please disregard this as a debate will create another one
fallaciousargument

Con

danonspark21

Pro

danonspark21 forfeited this round.
fallaciousargument

Con