ZBestDebater
mrhappy

Should we, as christians, Doubt the Bible sometimes?

ZBestDebater

ZBestDebater

Pro

I think we should doubt the Bible in some areas. Now, I'm not saying to doubt God- Just the Bible. See, the Bible has existed for over 6000 years- ANYONE could simply change it's contents over time. Every hundred years, more and more new versions are released, and over time- these could change most of the original content of the Bible. Second, the Bible was written by Man-Not god. What if God said something, but someone misinterpreted it, and put the incorrect information in the Bible? And man didn't have as much information back then. In the Bible, it says God stopped the sun- No, God stopped the rotation of the EARTH. So it's a pretty simple concept, go ahead and accept if you're against this.
mrhappy

Con

Thank you for challenging me to this quite interesting debate. First I would like to state that I have asked myself this question plenty o times before and I figured it out. Its all about faith. God never makes mistakes and I haven't found any inconsistences.
ZBestDebater

Pro

" First I would like to state that I have asked myself this question plenty o times before and I figured it out. Its all about faith." Well, yes. Our belief is based on faith in GOD- but what about those humans that wrote the bible?

"God never makes mistakes and I haven't found any inconsistences." I never said God made mistakes- He didn't make the bible. People did- it's a documentation of the acts God and Jesus have done. I'm just saying that we should doubt the bible sometimes, because God didn't make it- so it's bound to have mistakes and be fallible in some areas.
mrhappy

Con

Forgive me for not making myself clear. When I said God doesn't make mistakes I meant He wouldn't have let the Bible continue on if what he said in it isn't true. The same way he knocked down the tower of Babel he could have very easily stopped the creation of the Bible. And how do you believe in God without the Bible.
ZBestDebater

Pro

"hen I said God doesn't make mistakes I meant He wouldn't have let the Bible continue on if what he said in it isn't true." Correct, but if you think about it- Modern man could have changed the bible. I mean, think about it- There's a bunch of new versions coming out, and the words are slightly changed every time. With time, it'd be completely changed. We do believe In God, but i'm just saying we should doubt some things in the bible. It's made by man- it has to have some mistakes.
mrhappy

Con

Yes and No there is plenty of Bibles but the KJV version is the closest and if you go by that one it is accurate. Things in the Bible such as the flood, or the creation itself. How do you believe in what the history books tell you? because of what you can observe it today. that's the same with the bible. Just like the tower of Babel. And how do you believe in God but not the Bible its one in one.
ZBestDebater

Pro

"Yes and No there is plenty of Bibles but the KJV version is the closest " That proves it. It's true that the Bible has been changed at least a bit, and that bit should be doubted. See?
mrhappy

Con

Well now you have to decide if the history of the united states is true. The reason why you know its true is because of the things you observe today. Just like the Bible I haven't found any inconsistences with it.
ZBestDebater

Pro

"Well now you have to decide if the history of the united states is true. " Might be, Might not be! It's made and recorded by man, so it's gotta have a least one mistake- and we have to doubt the bit with that mistake. And I see many reasosns why modern American governments might change history to make America look better.

"The reason why you know its true is because of the things you observe today." Yes, but how do I know whether or not Columbus discovered America? Maybe it was someone else. Anyways, US history is only about 600 years old. The bible is...Dare I say it? Over 9000 years old.

"Just like the Bible I haven't found any inconsistences with it." Well, here you're using the argument many Atheists use. "I haven't found it, so It's not there". There's got to be a mistake- Do you agree with this? Or do you think humans are capable of making a perfect book, with no mistakes? I believe only God can do this.
mrhappy

Con

well I don't doubt the Bible one bit and I wouldn't ask anyone else to disbelieve their belief either. Its a faith thing, just like atheist believe in evolution, or Buddhist believe in Buddha. Simple enough you must have faith.
Posted by Zymoox 1 year ago
Zymoox
Did he really say "atheist believe in evolution"?
Seriously?
Please, do some research.
Vote Placed by JuliusCaesar 1 year ago
JuliusCaesar
ZBestDebatermrhappyTied
Reasons for voting decision: I am Jewish, so I consider both of are beliefs to be quite similar. Anyways, the Bible is constantly being changed over gay marriage and abortion. I simply agree that being gay and having an abortion is COMPLETELY legal and that we should not follow that it is not in the Bible. And God did not right the Bible we did, he does not control our actions he simply watches over and he would be pleased to see that we are better human beings.