AKMath
Marcuz

Should we ban semi-automatic weapons in the US?

Marcuz has forfeited round #3.

AKMath

Con

I'm pro-gun | Change my mind
Marcuz

Pro

Guns are cool but I mean what are we really using these combat weapons for? To hunt? Protection? All I see people using them for is to shoot up schools and drive-by's and acts of terror. Can we really say not banning them wouldn't be an effective 1st step in stopping those things? I think we have to do SOMETHING and id give up my assault weapon if it meant less innocent people would die because some psychos decided to use it to do stupid stuff, i'm not gonna say it wouldn't happen because we all know there will be people so determined that they'll find a way, but shouldn't we make it not as easy to get a weapon like that? I'm open to dialogue about this stuff.
AKMath

Con

I think we should not make it harder, but more thorough. I think backround checks should be more accurate and hold more information. I however don"t support banning semiautomatic guns. While there may be a few school shootings and things like that, guns save anywhere between 0.5-3.0 million people a year. Semiautomatic guns such as the AR-15 are proven to be the most effective at self protection.
Marcuz

Pro

If that's true I want to see proof that AR-15's are not an overly excessive instrument of self protection in non military, civilian combat situations such as home invasions or muggings. The Orlando shooter Omar Mateen bought his AR-15 legally and passed his "thorough" background check.
AKMath

Con

That's the point, it is overly excessive. This is why they are rarely shot in matters of self defense, as the abuser is scared to death (literally). Muggings would not be accurate as you aren't allowed to carry one publicly, but anything in your house or any other privately owned area is fine. The sad thing is nothing could be done to stop Omar Mateen from getting his gun. His record was clean except for one miniscule incident in high school. There is no way to know if someone is mentally ill unless they themselves go for treatment. As Sen. Marco Rubio points out no law besides banning guns as a whole could have stopped Orland, Parkland, or the very recent Santa fe from happening. Therefore I believe in privileged rights. Japan has a system where refugees, immigrants, and citizens are given separate rights (citizens getting the most). I don't think it's radical to think that only citizens should have the right to bear or have firearms. Please tell me anything you still have questions about. Sorry I didn't respond for so long, very busy at work. Lets try to finish this debate before time runs out.
Posted by psk 3 months ago
psk
The term 'Semi-automatic' encompasses more than rifles. Most pistols are semi-automatic, shotguns can be semi-automatic. If you are saying you want to ban semi-automatic guns you are basically saying you want to ban all guns.
Posted by asta 3 months ago
asta
Semi-automatic weapons effectively protect homes against multiple intruders. It's hard to defend against multiple people with a pistol.