yoon172
christ88

Should we ban video games?

Con Tied Pro

yoon172

Con

I disagree. Video games, like movies, books, music and any other form of art, are there to enjoy not restrict.

What most people fail to realise is that the video game industry, just like the film industry, is heavily regulated with a strict code of parental guidelines already in place. Even the consoles have parental controls.

Where the system goes wrong, however, is not that the video games are too violent, but that some parents believe it's okay to give their children 18 rated games even though they are well under that age.

Come on people, you wouldn't let a 10-year-old watch Alien or a horror movie like 28 Days Later would you? So why most parents let a 10-year-old play Gears of War, or GTA with its gang, crime and sexual overtones, beats me.

When commentators then say that video games are very influential on the youth of today, they are probably right, but then the youth of today probably shouldn't be playing violent video games, just as they shouldn't be watching violent movies, or reading violent books like American Pyscho, or listening to explicit lyrics.

I mean it's like saying that an actor shouldn't be allowed to play a part in a play or film because he or she might feel that playing that character will influence someone to behave in the same way. It's ridiculous.

You don't expect any one who plays Macbeth to hunt for witches, murder their boss and then have their wife go insane, so why should you expect video games to have any affect on those who play it?

So what should the government do? Well, not waste 6 months proving something that we already know to be true. Not all video games are for children.

The days of video gaming as "just another toy" are far behind us. Sony's PlayStation 3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360 are both aimed at the adults of the family with the consoles doubling up as media centres streaming and playing more than just games for your home cinema set-up.

As for dealing with the problem that violent video games can influence the young and impressionable, well police it better. Get on with educating parents that adult games can be just as bad as adult films, i.e., scary.

However, until parents up and down the country understand this, it will be left to the sceptics to bash the industry and stifle its creativity.

Frankly, I couldn't think of anything worse. The last thing that I want to do is go into my local video game shop and only be able to buy games that are clean and aimed at 3-year-olds, such as Patience or The Sims.
christ88

Pro

To begin this; where did the government come into the banning of video games? Did congress suggest to ban them? Why would any part of the argument be "So what should the government do?"

You also explain that video games are like any other form of artwork, but is this really true? People say that art makes a positive influence in society. I would challenge you to tell me the positive influences of video games.

Also, art is made from the existence of spare time; however, this does not mean the spare time was used wisely. The art made is not the positive part of culture; it is the other things that are created by this spare time. Ideas are passed around quicker, people interact and communicate better, communities grow larger and this leads to economic improvement.

The question of whether to ban video games is not a viable argument because it is an ultimatum. Ultimatums are nearly impossible to defend because you have set yourself up so that all you have to do to prove my argument wrong is have one video game that does not deserve to be banned. Therefore, I would suggest that the majority of video games are useless and unnecessary, and they would not be missed in society. Also, since a complete ban of anything is impossible, a limit on video games or a public discouragement towards them is needed.
yoon172

Con

I found something on the internet that has a list, ten (technically twelve) most addictive video games of all-time. These aren't necessarily just the games that I personally found most addictive because then the list would have to include games like Monster Rancher , Suikoden , Double Dragon , Pirates! and others. These are games that I think are generally addictive to everybody.

We make games so that people can enjoy them, and I've noticed that throwing around a dirty word like "addiction" is a lot like throwing rocks at people. Heavy rocks. I try to be very careful with how I use that word in relation to games, because it's a very, very complicated subject. Yes, South Korean and American gamers have died from exhaustion. Yes, this makes bored journalists and unpopular politicians very happy. China has already thrown a fair bit of legislation at video games, whether or not games are the problem.

e symptoms of a video game addiction would be similar to that of other psychological addictions.[8] Like compulsive gambling, video game addiction is said to be an impulse control disorder. The symptoms of impulse control disorder include regular or repetitive displays of at least five of the following

1. Persistent thoughts of the activity or performance of the activity. (Preoccupation)
2. Use of activity to escape problems or relieve bad mood. (Preoccupation)
3. Need for increased time spent on the activity to achieve satisfaction or diminished reward for the same amount of time spent on the activity. (Tolerance)
4. Inability to control, stop or diminish the behavior. (Loss of control)
5. Restlessness or irritability when prevented from partaking in the activity. (Withdrawal)
6. Lying to friends or family about extent of involvement with activity. (Continuance despite adverse consequences)
7. Committing illegal acts to sustain activity. (Continuance despite adverse consequences)
8. Relying on others to finance activity. (Continuance despite adverse consequences)

There have been three well-documented deaths caused directly by exhaustion from playing games for long periods. In South Korea, Lee Seung Seop died after playing Starcraft for over 50 hours. In Jinzhou, China, Xu Yan died after playing online games for over 15 days during the Lunar New Year holiday and an unnamed 30 year-old died in Guangzhou, China after playing for 3 days straight.
christ88

Pro

Addiction. Did I "throw that dirty word" around anywhere? No. But perhaps I should have. As I said in my argument, banning all of anything is virtually impossible and is a relatively absurd attempt.

I believe that video games should be discouraged and limited, thus attempting to end addictions to them.

Your argument didn't really address anything in my argument, so it is a bit hard to respond. The simple fact is that video games do bring entertainment to people, so it can be viewed positive. However, video games do not have a positive influence on society as a whole. Keep playing your video games, but the next time you do, think, what else could I be doing for these five hours of my life. Try a sport, get a job, study a little. Progress your life so that you don't end up being a thirty-year old man coming home from McDonald's and playing Halo 4.
yoon172

Con

whoops, I made a mistake. I thought I was for "in favor"

Anyway, to fix up my mistake I'll begin my next arguement.

No more children could be seen giggling, laughing, running, screaming, playing and swinging in the parks. At many places children parks look sad and lifeless. Even at homes where families used to have more than a single child and it was a joy to play games like hide and seek monopoly and others. Peels of laughter could be heard where the children gathered but with the changing time, growing needs and price inflammation on each and every commodities families are opting for a single child so that they concentrate and look after the one well and joint family got converted into nuclear family.

A single child feels alone and isolated with no one to play or share with. They are prevented from going out alone because there had been so many bloody incidents where children had been kidnapped with different ugly reasons by the kidnappers to accomplish their deadly desire had left the parents to act strictly just for the safety of their children. It is even worse when both the parents go out for service. Isolation does not dwell in a child who is fortunate to survive in the environment where he/she gets the chance to interact with other children but what can be done for those unfortunate single children having no/minimum chance to share their beautiful thoughts and interact with someone of their age?

Fortunately computer is there as a friend to play game with the children and so parents need to work and snatch some time from their regular schedule to bring happiness in the sad face of their children. Look for a good gaming site that offers free online games and download few free online games and play with your child in the beginning to guide him/her accordingly. Although it is true that playing online computer games may not be same as playing in a group of children but as everyone knows that something is better than nothing.

You can find a wealth of online game choices for your child that your child will enjoy and will increase their skill while playing against the skill of the computer. These computer games will not only provide the children hours of pleasure and entertainments but also sharpen the intelligence. The level of skills of your child could be increased raising the level of the game step by step. Online games are surely a boon for families with single child that gives company to their child in their isolated hours and also save the members of the family from their guilty conscience of not having any body to play with their child.
christ88

Pro

What is that? An Ad? A fictional story? What about facts? When has there been this situation of a poor little kid with kidnappers around every corner, no family, no friends? And educational gaming, is that a joke? Look at the top selling games on the market, that is the mass majority; you'll come to realize there are no educational games there, just violence, sex, and drugs. Like all the media in our society, video games are negative influences. Don't come into an argument with "what if"'s; hypothetical situations prove nothing.

What if... there was a new game sweeping the world, knocking Halo, Guitar Hero, even Grand Theft Auto off the map, but there's a secret. This game has a subliminal message. It makes people want to kill others. Not just think about doing it, but actually doing it. Everyone starts to die; no one is safe. Family members, friends, teachers, no one. The world ends because of video games...

What if... you came up with a real argument.
Posted by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
Christ88, art doesn't necessarily positively influence the society. Ever listen to rap music?
Posted by Karoz 9 years ago
Karoz
You were arguing that video games aren't a form of art. Your debate has to be somewhat truthful in order to win.

Also to be honest, you lost the debate as well.
Posted by christ88 9 years ago
christ88
Yes I understand how everyone feels, we love video games, but isn't it who won the argument not who do you agree with? I mean if you really believe he had the better argument go for it; maybe his story really did convince you...
Posted by Karoz 9 years ago
Karoz
As a video game graphic ARTIST myself, I feel video games are very much a form of art. They have visuals which in themselves are art, but they also sometimes have a well thought out storyline and usually very well composed music. If anything, they're every type of art combined in one package.
Posted by or8560 9 years ago
or8560
TO : Yoon

Thank you for responding, but the error that occured in my argument was that I wrote Korean in the form, but when it went to online, it couldn't understand Korean that it did something like this; !%235@#$%? So I did not copy and paste and once again, thank you for responding even with your busy work!
Posted by Creed-Diskenth 9 years ago
Creed-Diskenth
Yoon, you said a lot but did absolutely no arguing. that's just sad man. I agree with you completely, but ignoring your opponent... well, i cant say you're the smartest person ive ever met. Anyone can look up stuff online. You need to show a great deal of thoughtful interpretation and actually challenge your opponent.

And kingdom hearts 2 was one of the best games ever.
Posted by yoon172 9 years ago
yoon172
Did Paul teacher tell you that Daniel?, sorry, some of them i did. One of them is the 2nd debate, about symthoms of addiction. But, its only research, and our debate (which government is the best) you copy and pasted that too. Which was about king sajong
Posted by christ88 9 years ago
christ88
Can I ask what Yoon proved? Or is the votes going that way simply because of people's intial biases?
Posted by or8560 9 years ago
or8560
TO Yoon

Am I right in saying that you Copied/Pasted some of your arguments? If it is, you should be ashamed of yourself. If not, why is it that some of your arguments look a bit unusaul to your writing?
Posted by paul_tigger 9 years ago
paul_tigger
To Chris:

Your comments are a bit brash especially when you mention that Yoon only brought hypothetical situations to the debate. It seems apparent to me that your arguments are also not solely based upon fact, rather a lot of your arguments are also based upon your opinions or interpretations of what you perceive to be reality. Now as I see it, I believe both arguments can have a healthy dose of research and citations of where the information came from. All in all in the end, I do believe you gave the more persuasive debate.
Vote Placed by Shestakov 7 years ago
Shestakov
yoon172christ88Tied
Vote Placed by Pyromaniac 7 years ago
Pyromaniac
yoon172christ88Tied
Vote Placed by Riddick 9 years ago
Riddick
yoon172christ88Tied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
yoon172christ88Tied
Vote Placed by ginashin 9 years ago
ginashin
yoon172christ88Tied
Vote Placed by advanceh 9 years ago
advanceh
yoon172christ88Tied
Vote Placed by turtlecool2 9 years ago
turtlecool2
yoon172christ88Tied
Vote Placed by paulsckwon 9 years ago
paulsckwon
yoon172christ88Tied
Vote Placed by Mickeymouse 9 years ago
Mickeymouse
yoon172christ88Tied
Vote Placed by DeATHNOTE 9 years ago
DeATHNOTE
yoon172christ88Tied