pinkdonutz
SocialistAtheistNutjob

Should we be afraid of aliens?

pinkdonutz

pinkdonutz

Pro

I will start this after the contender accepts the challenge.
SocialistAtheistNutjob

Con

Hi, this should be a good debate. Good luck to pro.

Pro has burden of proof to show that we should be afraid of Aliens.
pinkdonutz

Pro

We should be afraid of aliens because of one thing, and one thing only: WE DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM. We all know when a person doesn't know anything about something, they are relatively scared to that mystery. Also, they might be immune to things that may be fatal to humans, like diseases that is fatal to us and can't be cured by Earth technology. Also, under the conditions that they are similar to us(yes, there may be some aliens that look completely different from us; example, the Daleks) and think similarly, they would try to conquer us. You can see it in almost every part of history where somebody discovers new land(for example, the Spanish people when they discovered the Aztecs, and Columbus when he discovered America). And as scientists say, just like animals, if an alien's eyes are close together and face forward, just like us humans, they are predators. Human flesh for dinner, yum.
SocialistAtheistNutjob

Con

I think it says a lot about the human state of mind when it comes to those that are different than us. Humans seem to believe that any Aliens that come to earth would be extremely hostile. Movies like War of the Worlds have put an image in our head of aggressive life forms from other planets. I argue that this is an incorrect assumption. Over the course of the last few thousand years humans have gone from war being honorable, to war being terrifying. Veterans are treated like garbage, and world leaders lose a lot of credibility if they resort to war. I doubt that we will see a war like World War II any time in the near future. We're able to kill each other way too efficiently now, and this is the first time in history that we could actually end humanity. I argue that the idea of war will not even cross an alien species' mind as they will be more technologically/culturally advanced than we are. If an Alien war began, it would be our own fault. http://www.imdb.com...
pinkdonutz

Pro

I partly agree on your argument there, that humans are really capable of killing each other. However, unlike what you said, we have no actual proof that those alien species are scientifically advanced than us. NASA claims the farthest we can get at alien encounters is meeting some alien moss, and the only reason we say aliens are far more advanced than us is because of UFO sightings or alien abductions. As I say again, we don't know anything about aliens, what they look like, planet of origin, whether they're compromisable or not. And ignorance has always been a good reason for fear in numerous cases in Earth history, that is why we should be mutually afraid of extra-terrestrials.
SocialistAtheistNutjob

Con

"We have no actual proof that alien species are [more] scientifically advanced than us."

My gut tells me that an alien species that traveled billions of kilometers would be more advanced than us.

Pro argues that we should be afraid of them because we know nothing about them, yet he has failed to give any real evidence that Aliens would be aggressive. I extend my arguments in round two that a civilization that advanced would have moved past war. Even humans have progressed farther than most will admit. If we discovered that Venus had "animals" on it, we wouldn't kill them. We'd do whatever possible to study them

Pro claims that the aliens will think "Human flesh for dinner, yum." (Round 2)

What are the odds that their bodies, that have never seen human before, would know what to do with human flesh? If we ate some space moss, we wouldn't digest it. We'd throw it up if it didn't kill us first.

Finally, any aliens that came would probably be murdered by our microbes. No war needed.
pinkdonutz

Pro

Sorry to be so short in text, but I didn't say anything about aliens coming to us. What I had in mind was quite the opposite, in fact. We should be afraid of aliens IF we reach them first.
SocialistAtheistNutjob

Con

SocialistAtheistNutjob forfeited this round.
pinkdonutz

Pro

pinkdonutz forfeited this round.
SocialistAtheistNutjob

Con

Posted by SocialistAtheistNutjob 2 years ago
SocialistAtheistNutjob
I didn't realize how short the response space was when I first accepted. We only get 1000 characters.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
pinkdonutzSocialistAtheistNutjobTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm surprised to vote this way. Pro's main argument was that we should fear the unknown. Con never touched that argument, instead trying to get to the plausibility of aliens as hostile. I think it was an EXTREMELY weak argument, but it was on Con to rebut it. It sorta fizzled with the forfeits there at the end. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.