jlara00
ErenBalkir

Should we be allowed to keep the confederate flag?

ErenBalkir
Started: 8/28/2015 Category: Economics

jlara00

Pro

People claim that the confederate flag is racist and should be taken down. Are they right? Well I believe they are wrong. Round 1: Stating why they are wrong/right. Round 2: facts that back up Round 1.
ErenBalkir

Con

Firstly we must understand what you mean by "keep" the confederate flag. I will assume it is one of two things, either local government at the state and federal level keep the flag, or society as whole accepts it as a symbol of southern pride etc..
To both of these, I say it is wrong to keep it as either a symbol of the south or use it in government. Now, to be clear, no-one is saying that individuals should be stripped of their right to fly whatever flag they want, whether it be a swastika or union jack. What I am saying is that governments should not keep the confederate flag and that society as a whole should condemn those who do use them- like we would those who use the swastika.

Secondly, why should society condemn the flag? It is a symbol of three key things that no-one can deny. It represents slavery, treachery and segregation. Why should society be ok with a flag that represents that? Government, by using the flag is, in a sense supporting those ideas.

Lastly, we need to understand the history of the flag. It was actually never the official flag of the confederacy but is widely seen to represent it. The confederacy was formed when white, southern slave owners rebelled and broke off from the US, essentially becoming traitors. There motives have been debated but it was fundamentally about the north wanted slavery being restricted while the south wanted to keep slavery. Now why would anyone support slave owning traitors by using their flag? It is beyond me.The next part of the history is during the civil rights movement where southerners used the flag as a sign of their support for institutionalized racism and segregation. Again, why would we want to support that?
jlara00

Pro

jlara00 forfeited this round.
ErenBalkir

Con

I have no idea why you forfeited. I guess that means i won?
Posted by TBSmothers 1 year ago
TBSmothers
I just finished debating as con in a debate like this.
Posted by TBSmothers 1 year ago
TBSmothers
Posted by TBSmothers 1 year ago
TBSmothers
Posted by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
Are you saying it should be illegal?
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
jlara00ErenBalkirTied