Aless1994
pliop

Should we be aloud to protest military funirals

Aless1994

Con

I want to hear a good argument about why people should be able to protest funerals with such hateful words.
pliop

Pro

This is my first debate, so I apologize if I get the formalities wrong. I will be taking the pro side, that people should be allowed to protest military funerals.

Con said, "I want to hear a good argument about why people should be able to protest funerals with such hateful words." I feel that this is not exactly fair. The con side has effectively made the claim that any protest must involve hateful words, probably with the Westboro Baptist Church in mind. I dispute this assertion; protests need not be offensive. Although the con side did not define the term "protest," I would think that my opponent would be hard-pressed to find a definition of the word that fit his claim.

i have more arguments but I will save them for the later rounds, as I'm not sure I was even supposed to make them here.
Aless1994

Con

As far my use of words you are right. But when I say hateful words it is because that is all I have seen people gathered around funerals with posters say "God i glad you died" and so on. Yes I am also referring to the Westboro Baptist Church. I want this debate to not be about the laws of the government but instead to morals of the people. And just to be clear I did mean protest in the mean of picket signs and people yelling.
pliop

Pro

I see no reason why these people should not be allowed to protest. Everyone should have a right to have let their opinion be known. If we selectively choose what people can say, then how is there really any free speech. And while I understand that you want the debate to about morals, it's hard to talk about what is clearly a free speech issue without bringing the government in. But I will try my best.

I think that the crux of the matter is your definition of morals. You have decided that it is immoral for these to people to picket the funeral. Why? What basis do you have for this claim? The people who protest often feel that it is their moral obligation to do so. The members of the Westboro Baptist Church are trying to draw attention to what they perceive to be the moral deficiencies of the rest of the nation. Thus, they feel that they are morally justified in what they are doing. And who exactly made you the decider of what is moral and what is not? Morals are all relative to the individual; what you perceive as morally wrong they perceive as morally correct.

Think of it this way: would it be right for me (a Jew) to proclaim that all Christians are immoral because they believe that Jesus was the son of God? I think that an unbiased observer would say that it isn't right. Just because I disagree with their morals doesn't make them immoral.

In conclusion, although we can use our own morals to judge others, we have no right to objectively and definitively say that we are right and someone else is wrong. No one has given us this power. Furthermore, the idea of freedom of speech and expression is worthless if we decide that only some people have a right to it.
Aless1994

Con

Aless1994 forfeited this round.
pliop

Pro

pliop forfeited this round.
Posted by Aless1994 3 years ago
Aless1994
sorry for the errors. the 3rd round ill take more time and processing