Should we be flaunting Margaret Thatcher's flaws in public so soon after her death?

Margaret Thatcher died recently, leaving millions devastated, and millions relieved. And quite frankly, I think it's disgusting how people are rejoicing over her death so suddenly. Acknowledging that she was despised by millions at the time of her leadership, how can people show such a lack of respect towards a death?

I accept this challenge and will show why people have a right to flaunt Margaret Thatcher's mistakes even in death, why so many people disliked her and the lessons to be learned from her example.

I will allow my opponent to give their case first, but I will just leave with a quote by an unknown author that I feel sums up way many people dislike her " If one destroys a sword it doesn't heal the scars it left behind."

May I add to my previous argument that I never once said people should never ever flaunt her flaws ever again. I said, as a sign of respect, and kindness, even if it's just to the family, or the supporters, to not question her actions, and appreciate the velocity of this astounding woman while she has just died! Would you appreciate it if when someone close to you died, everybody just went around shouting their flaws?

While I would agree that I wouldn't like people disrespecting my family members when they recently passed away, but I could understand why some would be celebrating if my family member has died if they were a politician that their decisions affected their lives. To answer the statement about flaunting the flaws so early in death I ask when would be an appropriate time be to flaunt her flaws death is death their is no turning back from that it is the line to never be uncrossed when it has been crossed.

The reasons why so many people dislike her

1- She supported dictators from around the world like General Pinochet of Chile.
2- She said feminism was a poison.
3- Her government supported the Cambodian Communist revolutionary Pol Pot who committed Genocide.
4- She sold off council houses, making it extremely difficult for working class families to even hope of owning their own house one day.
5- She sold arms to Saudi Arabia causing terror to spread.
6- She cut the manufacturing industry and coaling industry, leading to mass unemployment that affected the poor that created a unemployment that still affects them today.
7-Her economic policy caused 3.6 million unemployed the highest figure in England history and the highest proportion of the workforce in history and three times the previous government.
8- She closed down coal mining which raised the cost of energy to all time high they now have to import expensive coal from abroad
9- With poverty expanding crime rates went up.
10- She cut 75% of funding to museums, galleries and other sources of education
11- In the Thatcher years the top 10% of earners received almost 50% of the tax remissions that burdened the poor with taxes.

She caused a lot of pain in the poor and working families that caused problems to this day. I would ask if lets say a harsh dictator died today would the people under his/her rule have the right to celebrate their death I think it is safe to say yes then why can't it be the same with her who wasn't the worse leader ever, but the pain she inflicted still stands today.

What people have to learn from her is that you life and die by the decisions you make and don't be surprised if some come back and bite even after death.

georgioscoxios forfeited this round.

I extend my argument
Posted by Mac10 3 years ago
Glenda Jackson CBE gave a wonderful and eloquent speech on the Legacy of Baroness Thatcher and the Social, Economic and Spiritual damage done by "Thatcherism". She told the truth regarding her policies without using a personal attack.

I now live in Trinidad but was born in the UK and lived through some of the worst Thatcher years. I will never understand how she was reelected over and over again.
Vote Placed by Contra 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: While I don't think some of Pro's arguments are true -- I don't know how Mrs. Thatcher could shut down the coal industry -- Con didn't refute Pro's claims, and Con also forfeited, so I have to give Pro the conduct point.