Bluemooncloud1
sboss18

Should we be nervous about how addicted we are becoming to Technology?

Bluemooncloud1 has forfeited round #2.
Started: 11/10/2016 Category: Technology
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Bluemooncloud1

Pro

We should because it may stop us from eating, exceriscing, and getting good grades.
We may eat less because we are addicted to our devices and don't feel the need to eat. It may stop us from working out and staying fit so we become less healthy. We are playing on our phones in class, replacing study time with technology, and making us so addicted to our phones we stay up late at night and will not be listening to the teacher during instruction time.
sboss18

Con

I thank Pro for starting this debate. I will be arguing against the resolution. Specifically, I will argue against the notion that we should be "nervous about how addicted we are becoming to Technology". As my opponent has their opening statements in their Round 1 post and failed to specify the format, I will begin by attacking Pro's individual points.

"We may eat less because we are addicted to our devices and don't feel the need to eat."

This is a ridiculous claim. It is baseless, unfounded, and given Pro didn't provide any evidence to support it, shouldn't be taken seriously. If you are genuinely skipping meals and unintentionally starving yourself because of your attraction to your smartphone, the device isn't the issue. This is a mental health problem.

"It may stop us from working out and staying fit so we become less healthy."

This claim makes more sense, but is still sans evidence. In fact, the opposite may prove to be true. Research has shown that obesity rates among certain demographics in America are down. And if they aren't down, they're at least stable. Quote:

"[In recent years,] there was a 43% drop in obesity rates among young children aged two to five. In 2003-04 13.9% children were obese; in 2011-12 this number went down to 8.4%. As for everyone else, between 2003 and 2012 there was no significant change in obesity rates. Depressing as it might sound, this is actually something of a victory. Steady obesity rates are much better than rising ones."

(Sources will be provided at the end of my post.) If we were truly becoming "addicted" to our technology usage (whatever that means), then your claim that it is causing a reduction in exercise and fitness seems to be false. In fact, studies have also shown that "More Americans are exercising but poor diet means they are not losing weight". It should be obvious that the reason people gain weight is not due to technology, but their diet choices.

"We are playing on our phones in class, replacing study time with technology, and making us so addicted to our phones we stay up late at night and will not be listening to the teacher during instruction time."

This just sounds like a personal anecdote. There is again no evidence to support it, and therefore no reason to believe its validity. \

Source(s):

http://www.economist.com...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

Posted by sboss18 2 weeks ago
sboss18
Oh yeah. I guess reading isn't my strong suit ha ha.
Posted by dquick 2 weeks ago
dquick
It wasn't my debate :P
Posted by sboss18 2 weeks ago
sboss18
Why did you not post in the debate if you had more to say?
Posted by dquick 2 weeks ago
dquick
Also to add, although Pro has offered no source evidence, to dismiss the claims made is equally farcical. There is much evidence into the 'blue light' phenomenon and how on average we are sleeping less because of it. There is also a study that suggests, due to poor sleep from 'Blue Light', weight gain could be on the rise again.
Posted by dquick 2 weeks ago
dquick
The con, where discussing the claim that it is not the problem of your smartphone if you unintentionally skip meals, but a mental problem. Then this must be true for all addictions. Forget regulating Gambling, anyone addicted to it just has mental health issues...
Posted by PinkSheep123 3 weeks ago
PinkSheep123
I agree with con
Posted by sboss18 3 weeks ago
sboss18
If you're going to forfeit the round, please post a blank argument so the debate doesn't get stuck in the "your opponent forfeited" stage.