Sam_The_Debator
Broadnixdebate

Should we believe in a god?

Sam_The_Debator

Con

Why should we believe in a god that we have no knowledge of? Why do we bother to look at nonsense that has been created possibly to control us?
We have no proof of a god and yet our minds feel it compulsory to create thoughts that have never been proved. The first person to come to me with an image of a god in flesh or an angel can have a fiver as I truly believe you will never find it.
I do realise that sometimes we find great things come from religion. However there have been many wars that have killed thousands of people. Even in WW1 the Germans all had a belt with the words "got mit uns" (god with us) while the British carried bibles and had a violent war where lots was lost due to a religious belief.
The crusades are my main argument. I am referring to specifically the children's crusade where 10,000 children where killed or captured and made slaves. Should we really be convincing our children that a cause that has never been proved real is worth them dying over? What if we have been wrong on our beliefs and convinced our children that they should sacrifice themselves rather than letting them have a fair start.
Even nowadays there are terrorist attacks compelled by religion that have caused many many deaths and casualties. I speak from a personal experience of having gone home 5 minutes early next morning the train I would have gone on was blown up by a bomb.
The cons of a religion far outweigh a that of the pros therefor we should not disband religions or ban them that would only make it worse. We should simply collect an appeal to slowly discourage religion.
Broadnixdebate

Pro

It is simply bigoted and narrow-minded of one to proclaim the non-existence of an unseen being. What do you think science composes of? How does one simply explain what an atom is? What do we know about the idea of gravity? What solid evidence do we have to explain natural phenomena? The point is,must because you cannot see proof, does not mean it isn't there. As a famous scientist once said, "I have not failed one-thousand times, but discovered one-thousands for something not to work." One cannot conclude that something such as God simply does not exist as a result of multiple failures, or lack of supposed "evidence" to conclude his existence. If fact, religion does not constitute as a evidential fact, but a belief in faith, or belief and trust in something, regardless of its proof.
Sam_The_Debator

Con

Sam_The_Debator forfeited this round.
Broadnixdebate

Pro

Broadnixdebate forfeited this round.
Sam_The_Debator

Con

Sam_The_Debator forfeited this round.
Broadnixdebate

Pro

Broadnixdebate forfeited this round.
Posted by dhardage 2 years ago
dhardage
The pro commentator is indulging in numerous logical fallacies and blatant misstatements of fact. Science does not take anything on faith, it requires evidence and repeated testing to try and falsify the theory or hypothesis being tested. Religion, and the belief in any god, depends solely on faith since no such testable, repeatable evidence has ever been presented. There is no methodology to falsify the hypothesis of a god or gods existence since that is, by definition, a supernatural occurrence and beyond the scope of science. In short, there is no viable evidence that a god or gods exist so the answer to the question proposed is no.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
It's far too common to see religious theists trying to defend their beliefs by relying on faith, claiming both that faith justifies their position and that their beliefs are based on faith.
So will reason and logic be used by both in this debate?
Even if religious theists don't intend it in this manner, it seems that in practice "faith" is simply pulled out whenever attempted arguments based on reason and evidence fail.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
What's bigoted about "proclaiming the non-existence of something that is unseen"?
I didn't see Con proclaim it in the first place, but even if they did, I don't see what part of it is bigoted. Is it bigoted of me to say that square circles don't exist?