spinosauruskin
Stottinator

Should we bring back dinosaurs?

spinosauruskin
Started: 6/21/2014 Category: Funny

spinosauruskin

Pro

This is not an argument on it being viable. This is purely a debate on whether it would be better if we brought them back.
Round one for acceptance.
Do you agree with these terms?
Stottinator

Con

I accept your challenge.
spinosauruskin

Pro

I will start by suggesting some potential benefits of bringing back dinosaurs.

1) Business would boom from the sale of pet dinosaurs. How many kids would want one?
Let's face it, you would want one. I for one would want a pet velociraptor. It would be so cool!
2) Farming cows would be made redundant. Because cows are warm blooded, they release excess heat, which is a waste of energy in their food. However, a triceratops would have a lot less energy wastage as it is cold blooded, and they are larger and so have less energy wastage.
3) Guard T-Rexes. 'Nuff said.
Stottinator

Con

OK, let me begin with... NO, NO and NO!

Now for some elaboration:

1) What sane individual would want a pet dinosaur in their house? Most herbivorous dinosaurs are gigantic monstrosities that would cause your house to collapse the moment it decided to take a rest against the wall. As for the carnivorous ones? Well, to use your velociraptor as an example, any small child who got near the 3-foot high chicken from hell would have their jugulars punctured by the pointy claws and their flesh eaten by their new pet.

2) Where would you find the room to keep a herd of triceratops, considering that each one can exceed 10 metres in length? Also, there is a good reason reptile meat isn't widely consumed: it tastes like crap. If you've ever tried crocodile jerky then you'll know what I mean. Plus, as a cold-blooded creature, they could only be farmed effectively in hot countries, not somewhere like England.

3) Guard T-rexes!? Are you out of your mind!? Some poor paperboy's walking down the street and OH MY GOD WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS!!!???

Now for my negatives about bringing back dinosaurs:

1) There's already enough for swimmers to worry about with sharks in the water, but now you want to add moesasaurs to the mix!? The oceans will never be safe again!

2) The events of Jurrasic park. Make of that what you will.

3) By reintroducing old creatures into the ecosystem, you will thrown the entire natural balance out of whack. Using my oceans example, the newly created moesasaurs would devour what few whales are left in the wild. Then you would have T-rexes, native to the USA if memory serves me well, rampaging about devouring the humans!
spinosauruskin

Pro

"OK, let me begin with NO, NO and NO!"
Bold words, let's see if your arguments hold up.

"any small child who got near the 3-foot high chicken from hell would have their jugulars punctured by the pointy claws and their flesh eaten by their new pet."
Several thousand years ago that would have been the argument against allowing wolves to get closer.
I guess it would have been more like "wolf attack man, wolf bad"
Super-predators can be domesticated. The velociraptor is the new wolf.
Also note that took several thousand years of natural selection for wolves to become less aggressive to humans. If we are on the tech level that this would probably require, to make the "chicken from hell" into a badass looking pet would be easy through a cool thing called genetic engineering.

"Also, there is a good reason reptile meat isn't widely consumed: it tastes like crap"
It would probably be more comparable to poultry. Birds are dinosaurs, and considering that would probably be the origin of the resurrection, that part wouldn't be changed as much.

"It couldn't be farmed effectively in places like England"
You do realise that is kind of a good thing! It would help grow the economies of countries in Africa.
They are quite large, but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

"Some poor paperboy"
I DIDN'T MEAN COMPLETELY ALLOWED FOR EVERYONE! I was talking about high security areas. Could you imagine a prisoner escaping a prison only to see a Tyrannosaurus staring him in the face? It would be a great deterrent! I was postulating the convicted paedophile escapes and gets sliced in half with several dozen steak knives, or the same fate to the terrorist who tries to get near the bomb shelter.

These next few arguments are strawmen. I am by no means advocating for reintegration into the wild!

1) no I will not allow mosasaurs into the oceans. If those came in the package, they would purely be in aquariums.

2) Jurassic park is fiction. It is a story and needed a plot. A bad security for a park full of big scary dinosaurs sounded viable. As for parks on that scale really only having a single shotgun ever in view? I doubt it. Implants of micro-explosives in the heads of trees would most likely be mandatory. And the focus of the raptors to hunt the humans down was unrealistic.

3) again with the reintegration! This is not about bringing them back to everywhere, it is for a highly controlled addition of dinosaurs. We practically have to make a decision for each individual dinosaur to be born! Remember they lay eggs!

You seem to think dinosaurs existing automatically causes them to overpopulate the planet, and all they want to do is kill things. They are animals like no other.
Stottinator

Con

Stottinator forfeited this round.
spinosauruskin

Pro

My arguments still stand. I like the idea of a real-life Jurassic Park, and on the off-chance a few dinosaurs do escape, I'd personally hunt them down myself with a Bowie knife if that was what I needed to get this on my side. Dinosaurs are just too cool to miss out on.
Stottinator

Con

Stottinator forfeited this round.
Posted by spinosauruskin 3 years ago
spinosauruskin
Like I said, we would be genetically engineering birds. The immune resistance of birds wouldn't need to be affected.
Posted by KingOfTheHill 3 years ago
KingOfTheHill
Modern day viruses & bacteria Vs. Dinosaurs? No contest....
Posted by zommunist 3 years ago
zommunist
Stottinator loses 1 point for bad conduct
Posted by PlumberGirl123 3 years ago
PlumberGirl123
As cool as it would be to have live dinosaurs, it would do only harm in this world. All the bad people would get their hands on them and this world would be the biggest war ever
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
spinosauruskinStottinatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by Phoenix61397 3 years ago
Phoenix61397
spinosauruskinStottinatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: We shouldn't bring dinosaurs back, even if we could. However, pro argued better and didnt forfeit.