Orion12
TheRightChoice

Should we build a City Ship?

Started: 10/9/2013 Category: Technology

Orion12

Pro

Hello, this is a debate purely for fun.

What I propose is as follows: Should the United States government and its allies devote there resources to the building of the City Ship Atlantis. For those of you who have never seen Stargate Atlantis, a city ship is basically just that, a city that is also a ship. Protected by a energy field it is not only able to go under the water, but go into space as well. It it about the size of Spokane WA. A link to the picture of what it looks like will be at the bottom of this (just so that you know I have never tried to do a link of this so it may or may not work. if it does not just copy and past it or look up "Stargate City Ship")

My reasons for doing this is the pure benefit of the human race. Our world is dying and we are running out of space to grow. If we were to build this City Ship we would not only make the greatest creation in the human race to date, but also save humanity. Even if it is just a few thousand, we are still saving a little bit of humanity and they can go out into space and make a new world for us. Now, before you guys go look up the power system for this city and notice that it is 100,000 years ahead of us, I believe a slightly smaller version of Atlantis would be able to fly and support life for a much great period of time living off of just 4 nuclear reactors and solar panels. Now also, you guys might also say "Well, it will take us years to get to any possible life sustaining world" This is true, but with a city ship does it matter? We can have artificial grass along with a food supply of cows, pigs, chickens, etc. For water and any materials needed for repairs or re-fueling can easy be gotten though the asteroid belt and the mining of it. Also, radioactive waist, we can eject it into space once we are a safe distance from earth so that it does not fall down to the planet. Though it might take years in order for Atlantis to reach alpha-centauri. While they are traveling, it shall be no different from how it is now. People will need jobs mining asteroids and debris, farming the live stock, and manning the power generators. Well, after all of that, I think I am done for this round. Anyone may join with there side of this debate. I look forward to gross words with you whoever you may be.

Orion

https://www.google.com...
TheRightChoice

Con

I propose that a City Ship is not needed at all. What I see is that you're saying that humanity would be saved by this ship if something catastrophic has happened. Is that what the situation is? Because "running out of space to grow" is hardly even a statement. By the time that we have the compatibility to build the ship, we would all probably be digital by then.

I see your understanding of why we would do it. It would probably only happen if we weren't able build the technology that we have today. The only benefits I see is storage, maybe a way of transportation to explore, but it would be needed to save the human race. The world is not dying, it's actually growing and it's been proven. Plus, you think that the United States and its allies would be able to build this? It would probably take the whole world offerings to build this city ship. I agree with you on if we did have one, we would be able to get any possible life sustaining in a smaller amount of time that most people would think. I'm done for this round. I wish you good luck and a great debate.

TheRightChoice
Orion12

Pro

Interesting concept indeed. Though sadly like most of the people who i have debated this with in the past, you dont see the bigger picture. At the moment we have the resources so that if something goes wrong, oh well we can try again. If we wait till the last possible moment, even the smallest thing will put as back years and even end it complete. You say the world is growing? What do you mean by that? It has been proven that by 2060 the ocean will be dead, no water left. We have global warming, we are cutting down hundreds of forests, you call the growing? And even if it is growing, more power to the building of a City Ship! The sooner we Seattle on a new world, the sooner we will be able to breath easy. We have the technology to destroy the world in a matter of minutes, we can go to bed at night and never wake up, and if you are lucky enough to wake up, billions of others will not be.

Thank you
TheRightChoice

Con

TheRightChoice forfeited this round.
Orion12

Pro

Orion12 forfeited this round.
TheRightChoice

Con

TheRightChoice forfeited this round.