DebaterDracon
seanic

Should we continue to fund NASA?

DebaterDracon

DebaterDracon

Pro

Aloha my fellow debaters! I come to you all with a topic that has been discussed before, but not too recently. It's a topic I would really love to see discussed once more. Now then, onto the rules and regulations:

1. This is an open debate. Anyone may challenge my position on this topic.

2. Should you forfeit at any point during this match all points shall be awarded to I as you have just admitted defeat. Vice versa for I as well.

3. You may use any of your rounds for a rebuttal, argument, etc. I only require this first round be an acceptance and the last round a conclusion.

4. Please cite your sources if any should be used.

5. Finally, have fun! I hope for a grand debate.

This is more a suggestion than requirement, but as in all good debates, please be respectful of my opinion as I am of yours. As stated before I hope this shall be an exciting debate, and please do enjoy yourself!
seanic

Con

I'm definitely willing to debate this topic, so I accept to the thesis statement-

NASA should have limited to no funding (correct me if I'm wrong).

Good Luck
DebaterDracon

Pro

Aight, let's get this show on the road!

To start off this debate, allow me to direct you to NASA's current funding:
https://media.nationalpriorities.org...
I am unable to figure out how to post the image itself, so I'm sorry for any inconvenience. Moving on:
As you can see on this chart here, only THREE percent of our national budget goes into science.[1] Want to know how much of that goes to NASA? 0.48%
Meanwhile, over fifty percent of our budget goes into funding the military. Why we fund the military so much is a different topic entirely, but for now I believe that the NASA budget should not only be continued, but increased. With so much being spent on military, everything else suffers. Imagine what we could have if we had even put 2% of our budget into NASA? We'd of landed on Mars by now!

Not to mention, NASA isn't strictly focused on space. They've invented wondrous technologies such as - but not limited to - cell-phone cameras, baby formula, and the tool that you use to even get on here; the computer mouse.[2] There are so many more, - well over 1,800! - but we'll save that list for another day.

So, to put it simply, without NASA, we wouldn't have the luxuries we have today. If we were to stop funding them, then our progression through technology many exactly stop, but it will slow to a dismal. I mean, look at other first world countries such as China and Russia. They're pouring in money to their space programs because they've realized just how much an advantage it would be to come up with these technologies first.

That shall be all for now.

Resources:
[1] https://www.nationalpriorities.org...
[2] http://www.businessinsider.com...
seanic

Con

seanic forfeited this round.
DebaterDracon

Pro

As the rules stated, forfeiting was admitting defeat, therefore my opponent has lost the debate.

Now we simply wait for time to run out.
seanic

Con

seanic forfeited this round.
DebaterDracon

Pro

Awaiting for the debate to end.
seanic

Con

seanic forfeited this round.
DebaterDracon

Pro

This is where our debate comes to an end. Hopefully next time I'll face somebody who is active.
Vote for Pro, the only guy who bothered to type an argument.
seanic

Con

seanic forfeited this round.
Posted by dr_sepheroth 7 months ago
dr_sepheroth
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration Originally received funding from The Department of Advanced Research and Projects Agency, this was back while NASA were doing so well. But then funding got transferred from DARPA to the Taxpayers and now DARPA is doing brilliant and NASA is slipping behind.

I find this saddening because if there is one organization that is capable of sorting out the theory behind faster then light travel NASA is there, but they no longer have the Resources to test such a Theory.

It is my firm belief that NASA and DARPA as two separate government agencies with basically the same goal (to research technology) should be merged in to a organisation, which can share scientific talent, resources government funding and facilities. I already came up with a name for such an Organization. NASARD
Posted by dr_sepheroth 7 months ago
dr_sepheroth

Posted by DebaterDracon 9 months ago
DebaterDracon
Why thank you, my good man.
Posted by Glovski 9 months ago
Glovski
I completely agree pro, nice job.
Vote Placed by fire_wings 9 months ago
fire_wings
DebaterDraconseanicTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for the forfeiture, and because Pro is the only one who made arguments, arguments to Pro by default.
Vote Placed by U.n 9 months ago
U.n
DebaterDraconseanicTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeiture