SteelGraph
Capitalistslave

Should we cut funding for planned parenthood?

SteelGraph has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

SteelGraph

Con

Hello. I will be taking the position that Planned Parenthood should not have it's funding cut. I'd like to lay out some basic rules for this debate: 1. Please use proper grammar and type in English. 2. I'm okay with moderate swearing, but nothing serious and no slurs. 3. Round 1 will be only for questions regarding the rules and format. Round two is for building your main points and providing most of your evidence. Round 3 is responding to the argument last made by the opposition, but evidence and new points are allowed, but new points are discouraged. Round 4 is purely for rebuttals, so no new evidence or arguments, just review and summarization. 4. Any evidence cited must be paired with a source and the date created. 5. Please be respectful.
Capitalistslave

Pro

So, we can't use round 4 with new evidence, even if the new evidence rebuts what the opponent said? I think an effective rebuttal is one that is backed up with evidence. Rebutting an opponent's claims with no evidence seems to be rather weak. I suppose I would be find with that since neither of us can use evidence to rebut the other's claims, so it puts us both at a disadvantage against the round 3 arguments of the opponent.
SteelGraph

Con

My apologies to my opponent and everyone in this debate, but due to unforeseen scheduling conflicts, I will be unable to continue this debate, however I strongly encourage everyone to read this article: http://www.motherjones.com...
I concede the debate and congratulate my opponent on their victory.
Capitalistslave

Pro

Could you ask someone to delete this debate then? I would prefer that it not get forfeited, and thus be in my "you have debate arguments due" page forever. When the debate is forfeited, it stays there. Though, I suppose it won't now since I am posting an
"argument". It will instead be in your "you have debate arguments due" page forever unless you ask someone to have this debate deleted.
Or were you planning on having us go through the motions of this debate and just have me be declared the winner since you conceded? Let me know what you wanted done.
Posted by SteelGraph 1 year ago
SteelGraph
To answer my opponent's concerns about round 4, round 3 is new points but not new arguments. So if you say during round 2 planned parenthood receives too much funding because... in round 2, I rebut that in round 3 by saying it also causes...(New point backed up by earlier evidence), but in round 4 you can say "My earlier evidence..." Without bringing up new evidence.
Posted by SteelGraph 1 year ago
SteelGraph
I was willing to debate either one but will happily debate the funding cuts with you and changed the funding accordingly. Also it should go without saying but no personal character attacks.
Posted by Capitalistslave 1 year ago
Capitalistslave
I meant pro, not con. My comment should say "are you saying PRO is going to be arguing..."
Posted by Capitalistslave 1 year ago
Capitalistslave
So, are you saying con is going to be arguing that planned parenthood should be shut down, or that con is arguing that planned parenthood should have its federal funding cut?

The title of this debate indicates the former, but what you said in round 1 indicates the latter.

Depending on which you mean, I may accept the debate. If you mean the latter, please change the debate title to "Should we cut government spending to planned parenthood?" and I will accept then. However, if you mean the government should shut down planned parenthood, I would be opposed to that.
Posted by SteelGraph 1 year ago
SteelGraph
I don't believe either of those things, which is why I'm debating against it.
Posted by ChadIrvin 1 year ago
ChadIrvin
One question before I accept the debate. Do you believe funding should be cut to Planned Parenthood, or that it should be shut down altogether?