miadm.13
RobertF

Should we encourage the idea of Santa Claus for Kids?

miadm.13

miadm.13

Con

First Round is for Acceptance only.

I will be arguing the side of: we should not encourage the idea of Santa Claus (being still alive and real)

Definition-Santa Claus: bringer of Christmas presents: Christmas personified as a jolly old man with a white beard and a red suit who brings presents to children.
RobertF

Pro

Well first of all I think the premise sketches a bit of an odd situation. There are several ways to interpret the question. For example, you could say: we should stop telling our kids Santa Claus is real and actively tell them he is fake. One could also say that you don't have to tell he is fake or actively tell your kids he is real either. Also, you could argue from a point where we are either changing or or continuing a situation. We might already encourage the idea of Santa Claus and therefore stop doing that. We might also have never heard of him and therefore start encouraging the idea of Santa Claus.

I would argue that to a lot of people, Santa Claus is a cultural figure that brings joy to the lives of young children and that there isn't really a reason to actively stop encouraging the idea of Santa Claus. However, I also don't believe it is somehow necessary to have a 'Santa Claus' in your culture. I think it is unnecessary to actively protect your kids from the idea and therefore prevent an awkward social situation. I think most kids soon realize he is fake and that in the end no real harm is done.
miadm.13

Con

miadm.13 forfeited this round.
RobertF

Pro

RobertF forfeited this round.
miadm.13

Con

The side I am taking is that we do not need (or should) tell kids that Santa Claus is real. How you said it: "One could also say that you don't have to tell he is fake or actively tell your kids he is real either."

I have a few reasons.

1.a. It's a blatant lie.

When parents purposely lie to their children...and the children later in life find out that they have been lied to for years...that trust is tented. I remember when I found out, I was irate.

1.b. Lies are remembered

Once a kid finds out that someone has lied to them, their trust (specifically their parents) isn"t strong anymore. If we want the kids to believe in Jesus (who is actually real) how are they to know that we are telling the truth, and it"s not just a big hoax?

2. It hinders the real meaning of Christmas.

Of course, for Christian families, we celebrate Christmas for "Christ." By having Santa as the main celebration...it takes away the real meaning.

3. It is a source of Bribery.

Not that all bribery is necessarily bad...but, lying to the kids to make them be good or else they will get coal is kinda sad. Plus that isn"t the point of Christmas.

"I would argue that to a lot of people, Santa Claus is a cultural figure that brings joy to the lives of young children and that there isn't really a reason to actively stop encouraging the idea of Santa Claus."
-A more appropriate way of handling it is telling children how Santa came to be"(saint Nicolas) and how he is a symbol of love and joy"then leaving the children to decide what they think about the whole matter. The parents not ever blatently saying that Santa is real, and saying he was a real person who gave gifts, who we can look at as a way of spreading the Christmas spirit.
"I think it is unnecessary to actively protect your kids from the idea and therefore prevent an awkward social situation."
-Protect? I don"t understand this. Reveal what actually happened.
Furthermore"someone commented about imagination. I would totally agree that imagination is crucial. I was always imaginative"still very am, but kids don"t get their imagination from Santa Claus. My brothers were taught somewhat similarly to what I"m describing. They are one of the most imaginative groups I have ever seen. They play cowboys and Indians all day long. My youngest brother (who is 4) tells me he is going to go hunt coyotes in the living room. (we live in the city")
My dad"s kids are encouraged with santa claus. Not just that but they also do elf on the shelf (which I think is fun, but really creepy) My oldest sibling on that side is 8. She still believes in just about every single typical lie that parents give their children. Even something called the "baba fairy" who comes to your house and takes your pacifiers then leaves a bike or some other gift you want.

Kids don"t deserve to be lied to. They can be told the true story, and then leave them up to decide what they think about the entire deal. They are left with their own imagination and thoughts about Santa.
RobertF

Pro

RobertF forfeited this round.
miadm.13

Con

All of my past arguments still stand. Santa claus should be given as the way I described: truth/room for imagination.
RobertF

Pro

RobertF forfeited this round.
Posted by IndianaFrank 2 years ago
IndianaFrank
The purpose of children believing in Santa, the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy is to broaden there imagination skills.... Imagination is an essential skill for success for life.
Posted by debatergorl 2 years ago
debatergorl
Part of being a kid is having a little fun and surprise in life. We don't want kids to lose that imagination before they have to.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
But we want them to trust strangers who desire entrance to their homes in the middle of the night while their parents are asleep. Especially ones that are laughing for no apparent reason, and have a large bag full of unknown contents.
Vote Placed by ShadowKingStudios 2 years ago
ShadowKingStudios
miadm.13RobertFTied
Reasons for voting decision: There is not an argument Pro can give that justifies lying, deceiving, & looking like an @ss to your kids every year for up to 7-8 years of their beginning life. Con won the moment she posted debate.