Should we get rid of English classes in high school?

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals and further arguments
Round 4: Summary

English Studies

English studies is an academic discipline that includes the study of literatures written in the English language (including literatures from the United Kingdom, the United States, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, the Philippines, India, Pakistan, South Africa, and the Middle East, among other areas),

English linguistics (including English phonetics, phonology, syntax, morphology, semantics, pragmatics, corpus linguistics, and stylistics), and English sociolinguistics (including discourse analysis of written and spoken texts in the English language, the history of the English language, English language learning and teaching, and the study of World Englishes).

More broadly, English studies explores the production and analysis of texts created in English (or in areas of the world in which English is a common mode of communication). It is not uncommon for academic departments of "English" or "English Studies" to include scholars of the English language, literature (including literary criticism and literary theory), linguistics, law, journalism, composition studies, the philosophy of language, literacy, publishing/history of the book, communication studies, technical communication, folklore, cultural studies, creative writing, critical theory, disability studies, area studies (especially American studies), theater, gender studies/ethnic studies, digital media/electronic publishing, film studies/media studies, rhetoric and philology/etymology, and various courses in the liberal arts and humanities, among others.;

Dpowell forfeited this round.

No, we should not get rid of English classes. It may help students learn respect for others and complete arguments they start.

First of all, I'd like to apologize for missing that last round. I ended up being busier than I thought.

I'd also like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate and I wish him luck.

Section 1:
English classes are a very poor way of learning English.

In English class you hear a lot of bad English (pronunciation, grammar, and Vocabulary) from your peers, and occasionally, if not more often, your teacher. Hearing this can badly effect your knowledge of how to speak proper English. It is a proven fact that listening to people speak a language is a good way to learn it. Is listening to bad spoken English the same?

English classes are bad for practicing your speaking skills. The teacher either won't let you talk at all or will talk more than they need you. This takes away your opportunity to practice your conversational skills.

Teachers like to use textbooks (unless you're my English teacher, and the majority of the time we're talking about religion), this is because they find using these easier to teach. These are very ineffective. Within these textbooks are stories that you have to read with questions you have to answer, that have absolutely nothing to do with learning proper English.

Learning grammar rules is pointless because no one can memorize all 100+ rules, you have little to no time to think about what tense to use. Learning this will only improve test scores, not your ability to speak English.

You get to review the useless things you just learned (Grammar rules). And then testing. This helps compare your knowledge with other people, it doesn't help you learn. Also, you get boring assignments that have the same exact function as the tests. In this case why do we need either of them?

Section 2:
Teachers will not teach you pronunciation, most usually ignore. This is because their pronunciation can be bad. Some teachers will correct your mistake, but others won't teach you how to avoid making these mistakes, or how to say them at all.

Section 3:
English teachers won't usually encourage you to get more practice with you English learning; ex: reading English books, listen to English recordings, and other conventional means that can give a good sense as to what proper English sounds like.

Section 4:
Millions of people take English classes, and don't improve at all. So why are they in High Schools?

Section 5:
You have more of a chance at succeeding in life if you take a foreign language class, than English classes. English is a dying language, with more and more people speaking Spanish, French, Arabic and other large, rising languages, there is no need to learn it. For instance, if you want to become someone who works with computers, you'd have more of a chance of being hired if you know French, because that's the second language on computers.

Section 6:
If you've noticed, in college, you only have to take English for 2 years. This is probably be because even the teachers realize how useless it is. Or, it maybe because finding a job that requires you to take an English class is very (if not extremely) rare to find. More research is required for this, but I hope the readers will take this into consideration.

Section 7:
I'd also like to point out that my opponent has pointed out many different aspects of an English class. Now I'd like to point out that each of those subjects have their own, individual classes, so this just helps prove my point that English class is useless.

If any of you are interested, the website I got my information from, comes with some tips about how to improve your English. Feel free to check them out.

Debate photos.

Almost the entirety of Pros debate is anecdotal " retelling his poor experience in English classes that as best I can tell are English as a second language.

Sections one through four I will refute simply by anecdote in kind. I had great English teachers. Not one of the issues experienced by pro. Section five in implying English is a dying language is simply wrong. English is the second most common language behind Mandarin and more than double the third, Spanish [1].

In section seven, the only reference to English studies of literature and culture is wrong. There is no other field of study that addressed the topics of literature for literature itself.

Section 1:
I'd like to state that only one of the things I have said are of my own experiences. In this case, I'd like to inform the readers that my opponent is making assumptions. And so far all the reasons I have given for getting rid of English classes are valid and true, unless my opponent makes an attempt to prove them wrong. I'd also like to add that my opponent did not completely follow the rules of the debate and made no attempts to rebuttal any of my arguments.

In any case English classes are useless. You can't get a job with English class, and you don't learn anything. Every skill you need dealing with literature is in every class but that one. If anything it's a waist of time. Either that or it's just something that teachers came up with to fill in credit slots. But no matter what thoughts you may have, it doesn't need to be around. Out of multiple high school classes, replace, if not completely get rid of the class.

Pros has, as stated, offered no evidence to back his anecdotal debate. I offered anecdote in response, and had no rebuttal from him. I offered points on the second most widely used language that was not addressed. He had the burden of proof, and came well short.

He used the last round to scold me for breaking a rule of the debate - I did not. I offered a description of the topic English Studies. He forfeited a round, I accepted the apology, and he attempts to use a petty issue to sway voting.

English in high school as well as secondary education is vital to all fields of study, all professions and is culturally critical.
Posted by TBR 1 year ago
What does lack of an official language have to do with this?
Posted by Dpowell 1 year ago
Actually, Idiosyncratic, America has no official language. This is because America was built off of too many different countries and languages, that the government decided against choosing any one language.
Posted by Dpowell 1 year ago
I'd like to say none of this was short and amusing.
Posted by TBR 1 year ago
mea culpa accepted with thanks. I have become very frustrated with abandon debate, and in return apologize for my snarky reply.

For what it's worth, I would appreciate any voting to ignore the miss round.
Posted by Esiar 1 year ago

Not as bad as Islam.
Posted by Idiosyncratic 1 year ago
So, you want America to be even less literate then it already is by not studying its official language?
Posted by TBR 1 year ago
Just definitions -
Posted by Dpowell 1 year ago
Starting a bit early don't you think?
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con's the only one who used sources so he gains that point. I also find it funny that I'm sure Pro is meaning to site a source in Round 3, but forgets to post it. I looked in the comments as well and it's not there so Pro does not have a source in my books. Conduct is null due to Pro's forfeiture and Con breaking the terms of acceptance in the debate. I find it funny that though Con is definding English classes his grammatical skills are worse than Pro's, so with that Pro gains the S&G point. Arguments is a tough one. Neither debaters actually refute each other's arguments, so I have no choice to give this part to Con since his arguments went unrefuted the resolution is thus negated. If either debater would like me to clarify this RFD they may feel free to PM me.