Dr.Montgomery
Viciousglowworm

Should we have genetic engineering in babies?

Dr.Montgomery

Pro

We should have genetic engineering in babies because it can cure diseases if all goes right such as lung cancer and mental illnesses. This can revolutionize the world of medicine and science to make humans thrive.
Viciousglowworm

Con

While genetic engineering in babies may seem like a good idea on the surface, its disadvantages outweigh it's benefits.
My first argument is that there are many areas in which this procedure could go wrong, leading to mutations in the genes, which will cause babies to die, be malformed, or be born with diseases. My opponent himself states that genetic engineering will only be effective "if all goes right."

My second argument is that a rise in popularity of genetic engineering will create a large divide between those who can afford it and those who can't. These procedures are expensive, and if there was a way to give your child complete resistance to many dangerous diseases it would be in high demand. Therefore, only the upper class would be able to afford this treatment. This would create an even larger gap between lower class citizens and upper class citizens as genetic engineering in humans advanced.

My opponent has only glazed the surface of this incredibly deep and complex issue. He is using an idealistic viewpoint and hasn't explained or proved any of the advantages to genetic engineering in babies.
Dr.Montgomery

Pro

If we allow genetic engineering, it could help us along the path to completely get rid of genetic disorders. I don't think parents should nitpick over hair and eye color, but if parents could access technology to ensure their child is not born with health issues that run in the family, society as a whole could reap the benefits to health. Therefore saying that if we all gave this medicine to a generation, diseases would be rare and less people could die each day. Plus there wouldn't be mutations in the genes considering that most of the genes come from healthy humans and will be checked before the gene targeting process. Lastly, the price of the operation would only cost roughly around 18,000 dollars, the price I got my car for! And with the new government policies about heath insurance the price shall even be reduced.
Viciousglowworm

Con

Viciousglowworm forfeited this round.
Dr.Montgomery

Pro

Dr.Montgomery forfeited this round.
Viciousglowworm

Con

Viciousglowworm forfeited this round.