Should we have genetically modified insects?

Before we get started, I have a couple rules
1. All you need to do in the first round is to accept the debate. You may continue onto your arguments if you want after accepting the debate
2. After the first round you HAVE to refute the opposite side of the debate
3. Be polite
4. No foul language
5. Be reasonable and not stupid

Now I would just like to talk about why genetically modified insects are bad. Genetically modified insects is not what we want. If we, for example, genetically modified mosquitos so they can't suck blood, then we would be killing their only means food. We would be KILLING their species. We might do this to TONS of insects just because we don't like getting bit by one. How would we feel if we were insects? Would we want people to torture us and ruin our species? No. We wouldn't. It isn't good and just because we can do it, it doesn't mean we HAVE to. These are still living creatures and we can't ruin their lives or species. We can go along perfectly well with ourselves if we didn't have genetically modified insects.

I accept. First: a Genetically Modified Insect is an insect who's genes have been changed by a human for varying reasons. Con, please state your argument(s).

My arguments:
1. Harm to species
2. Harm to other animals
3. The danger to Earth
I will only be going over the first point in this round and the other two in the last round.

The first point is the harm it does to that particular species. If we genetically modified insects, we could ruin their race's chances of survival. We could kill that whole entire species if we wanted to. We don't want to kill other species! What if you were an insect, and someone made sure that you couldn't suck blood anymore? Our whole species of mosquitos would die! Blood is mosquito's food. They are doing this to millions of mosquitos in Florida and species are dying out! Just because we don't like what some insects do, it doesn't mean we can just kill them all!

Proposition please state your points and refute.

Definition of "Invasive Species": Invasive species are plants, animals, or pathogens that are non-native (or alien) to the ecosystem under consideration and whose introduction causes or is likely to cause harm.

According to Fox New, the mosquitos of the Aedes aegypti species carry the Dengue and Chikungunya, "two extremely painful viral diseases" (Fox News). This species also happens to be the species that a British research group has been genetically modifying and had planned to release millions of the modified version in Florida. The purpose of the modification is to eradicate the species in order to drastically decrease the chances of either of the two deadly viruses making a serious appearance in the US and subsequently cause American deaths: "Mosquito controllers say they're running out of options that can kill Aedes aegypti, a tiger-striped invader whose biting females spread these viruses. Climate change and globalization are spreading tropical diseases farther from the equator, and Key West, the southernmost city in the continental U.S., is particularly vulnerable" (Fox News). The danger of the disease that the mosquitos that are being target carry becomes even more obvious when it became common knowledge that "there are no vaccines or cures for dengue ... or chikungunya" (Fox News). Therefore I conclude that the elimination of an invasive species from our country is worth while if it means that American families will be saved from the horror or fighting incurable viruses.

I'll make my arguments after I've rebutted your additionals in Round 3.

I read the first sentence of your rebuttal and I couldn't finish the rest. I am sorry to say that Fox News is the most untrustworthy source out there. I can prove it. Fox News said that Obama was born in Kenya, Africa but he was actually born in Hawaii. There are many other occasions that Fox News has been wrong, but I won't continue with them because I would like to carry on with my arguments. Basically, by having this untrustworthy source, your whole point is disregarded. Anyway, onto my points:

2. Harm it can cause to other animals. Genetically modifying insects could not only cause its own species to die, but it can cause many animals to die too. Certain animals can only eat a certain insect. If this species of insect were to go extinct, then many other animals would die of starvation. If this happens, many animals that want to eat those animals would die too. It would completely ruin the food chain for most animals and many species would die out and go extinct. This isn't what we want. We want all animals to live.

3. The danger it can have on Earth. We can't tell the future. We don't know what will happen if we genetically modified insects. We genetically modify insects mostly to protect ourselves, but who knows what could possibly happen. If we genetically modified a bee so it won't sting, how are we to know that we won't wipe out their WHOLE ENTIRE species just because we don't like the feeling of beeing stung (pun intended). If the bees all die out, than so will flowers and crops. It is just plain dumb to genetically modify insects and kill them. The world might be ruined even if we get rid of one insect. The opponents can say that we can genetically modify insects so that they won't die, but you can't. We may THINK that we can, but we can't. Any genetic change could possibly ruin that species forever.

If we can't find a cure to a disease that an insect carries around, we have to keep working and find one! We have to work our butts off to find a cure! We shouldn't just sit around, give up, and say, "Well ... we can't find a cure ... let's just completely obliterate the species and not care about nature and the world." Don't we want to help and protect nature? Nature isn't only just plants and trees. It is also insects, and we need insects. We need insects or we are slapping Mother Nature in the face. No opponent can say that we don't need insects. If they try and refute this speech, than they should feel shame. We need insects and we can't have them if we genetically modify them. If you believe me, if you understand what I am trying to say, please, VOTE FOR OPPOSITION (that's me ^_^)

Thanks for debating me. It was fun. Please vote for me and thank you viewers for watching and hopefully voting for me in this debate! ^_^ Thank you!

New source to confirm previous information given and for future quotes:

Rebuttal 1: It is extremely rare to nonexistent for a species other than the Aedes Aegypti mosquito to be genetically modified in a considerable way. Since the objective of the modification is to wipe of the species, it may seem like there is a risk. In reality though, there is little to no risk. There are dozens of other species of mosquito in Florida and other areas of the country but the primary problem is in Florida. With that being said, the extinction of the mosquito from Florida would be relatively harmless. Since the animals that rely on that species for food would have literally millions of other insects to eat, everything would remain balanced.

Rebuttal 2: Your whole argument here was really just an extension of the one before it. First, the Earth honestly has never been affected by any species that's ever inhabited it. Over 99% of all of the species that have ever lived on our planet, are now extinct. In the long run, we, nor mosquitoes, will have any effect on the planet. Moving on: your analogy to bees is not accurate. First of all, "bees" is not a specific species so by saying it is, you're already putting it out of context. Also, the genetic modification is not going to wipe out ALL of the mosquitoes. Only a very minuscule portion in them in a section of the US. As I stated before: the ecosystem will be fine. And again, onward: the researchers searching for vaccines for the two viruses have not decided to just "give up". The fact of the matter is that the southern-most area of the United States is vulnerable to infection which could cause hundreds or maybe thousands of deaths. It would be the Ebola scare ten fold. So while they continue to research, a safe guard against infection is always a good idea. Finally, no one is making it so mosquitoes can't bite. Researchers are simply adding a gene into the male mosquitoes so when the reproduce with the females, they pass on the faulty gene to the next generation. This causes the F1 generation to die off before reaching adulthood.

Conclusion: Overall, the benefit of modifying the Aedes Aegypti species of mosquito, the most ever modified insect, to help prevent two deadly painful viruses from potentially making an appearance in our nation seems worth it over the seemingly impossible ecosystem damage. Finally, eliminating the A. aegypti species is not harmful to "mother nature" as Con put it. The A. aegypti are invasive meaning they have caused harm to the local ecosystem just by being there. They're the milfoil of insects (for anyone who's an avid lake person).