benhazelton
tyler3923

Should we have guns?

tyler3923

benhazelton

Con

Let's go Tyler. Should we? Use your common sense please
tyler3923

Pro

Thank you for the opportunity to have this debate. As you did not outline any guidelines for this topic, I wish to impose a few in addition to clarifying the highly vague debate topic.

Guidelines:

Just one actually. Present your side of the debate with fact and refrain from using overly personal opinions, anecdotes or individual ethics.

Definitions in relation to the aforementioned vague debate topic:

"Should" shall not be read so as to mean whether or not it is ethical to own a firearm but rather the legality of owning said firearm.

"We" will be defined as legal residents of the United States who are not otherwise barred from ownership of a firearm; i.e., felons, the mentally ill.

"Guns" will be used in reference to all firearms in common use which are NOT listed as title 2 under the gun control act of 1968. This exclusion includes SBR's, SBS' s, suppressors, machine guns and all other destructive devices.

Relevant legal text/court findings for reference in your opposing statement. Failure to address the legal precedent for the right to keep and bear arms qualifies as a failure on your side of the debate as to why firearms should not be allowed.

Second Amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

District of Columbia v. Heller: "The"Second Amendment"guarantees an individual's right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit affirmed.

McDonald v. City of Chicago:""The United States Supreme Court held in a 5-4 ruling that the Second Amendment applies to state and local governments in addition to the federal government. In doing so, the Court reversed a Seventh Circuit decision that affirmed the dismissal of Second Amendment challenges to handgun bans in Chicago and Oak Park, Illinois."

Peruta v. San Diego: (excerpt from the decision) "The Second Amendment secures the right not only to "keep" arms but also to "bear" them"the verb whose original meaning is key in this case. Saving us the trouble of pulling the eighteenth-century dictionaries ourselves, the Court already has supplied the word"s plain meaning: "At the time of the founding, as now, to "bear" meant to "carry."" Heller, 554 U.S. at 584.3 Yet, not "carry" in the ordinary sense of "convey[ing] or transport[ing]" an object, as one might carry groceries to the check-out counter or garments to the laundromat, but "carry for a particular purpose"confrontation."

I look forward to your rebuttal and hope that you present a fact based argument to support your casen
benhazelton

Con

Awesome, here we go.

Fact one: According to the Carpathia Society Survey taken in 2013, 90% of people agreed that guns are not the answer. Rather, the entire Carpathia Agency said that we must put down our guns and be peaceful. Isn't this a relevant fact, just like all of yours.
Plus, you are a wee bit stupid. I don't really want to follow your rules. If you wish to tell me what to do, I can tell you what to do. Put down your guns and sing with me! Listen to this video, . Direct evidence at its best. I am going to win this debate. I would love to continue this debate in a serious fashion once you get your act together and understand why we are here on the planet. The reason we live is to love. The reason to live is to help others, just like the people on the Carpathia did. We must put down our weapons and love each other. I will say it, I love you.....jk. You kinda treat me like dirt. But back to the point, people of the U.S., don't you agree with me! We must cherish every second on the planet, and I think my sister agrees. Your laughing at this tyler dude right now, aren't you sis. She would laugh at you so hard. She had the best laugh. She was the sweetest. She knew exactly how to cherish every second. you need to have the mindset of my sister. You are spending your days typing away with children about childish political issues on whether we should use a PC or a mac to game or whether water guns should be illegal. Go outside and smell the roses. Listen to this song Do you here that bass drum, that be me. I am pounding my heart away felling the Carpathia within me. Why have guns when we can hit big drums. See what I mean!!!! and here i am playing soccer. go me. Go and live your frekin life tyler, there is so much in the world to enjoy. Live like the carpathia. Go and help some people like they did. For example, go volunteer with the disabled. Every saturday I volunteer with the disabled in memorance of my sister. The program is called RVAccess. It brings me so much joy. It makes me feel that I am doing something great in this world, something you would never attempt. Go and help someone instead of shooting frekin guns. I need no huffington post articles or video tapes of people killing people, go and help someone.
I will say, having these serious debates with you is pretty stupid (and a little childish of you). Thanks for the help though. One day, I will be president, have your 20 cats as co-vice presidents, and thank you for the experience you gave me on debate.org. Then the whole world will thank you for being a great, liberal teacher. Go Tyler. Thats the Carpathia life. By the way, are you and that JonathanDJ dude friends, cause like you two were teaming up on me in the opinions section for are guns thing. That got intense man. Let me quote the whole article.
I think I must have guns! As an American the right to keep and bear arms to described as a right I am born with and that the government may not infringe upon. The Heller case made it clear that the right is an individual one like speech or religion. Without this right all my other rights are an illusion. The government can violate any of my rights at any time unless I can do something about it. I know this sounds extreme but the point in the Second Amendment is to protect you from the police.
Posted by: JonathanDJ
benhazelton:
You are an idiot
JonathanDJ:
And you are a child rapist, now that we've got the pointless name calling out of the way would you like to make a substantive point?
benhazelton:
BTW, I don't think it is very smart to call a child a child rapist. I find that calling someone an idiot is much nicer than directing the term of a rapist to someone. Now that that is out of the way, nice to meet you. I just do not agree with you side of the argument. Is that nicer? I am sorry for saying that I wish to take away your guns, its just that you have already shown how you can be mean to children and I just want to prevent future harm. I mean, guns create problems. We just need to open our eyes. I am a kid, and I hate guns. Guns are stupid. I don't even like gun games. They rot brain cells. I hate kids my age that are obsessed about air-soft, call of duty, and other crap. These people make me mad since guns cause so much violence in this world. Plus, they are plain stupid. Why in the world do we need guns? Plus, what is the whole thing about protecting yourself from the police? I found that a wee bit strange.
benhazelton:
Plus, what do you even use your guns for? I mean, is there any point to owning them. I mean, are you actually using them. Would you really be that angry if you were to just have a background check. I mean, seriously. You seem to have a lot of time on your hands, debating with 14 year olds and all. At least I am studying for a Earth Science Test right now. Then I will go to Harvard, become president, and be known for my high mental acumen.
JonathanDJ:
I didn't know you were a 14 year old nor should I be expected to. If you can't run with the big dogs get off the track. The purpose of the Second Amendment to the Constitution is to give the citizens the ability to protect itself against the government. The government armed force of enforcement is the police. Lord Acton said "Power tends to corrupt and absolute power tends to corrupt absolutely." Human beings have a natural tendency to want to control other people. They need to have sufficient motivation not to do that. Fear of a bullet to the head is highly motivating. With out a gun you don't have any rights. You don't have freedom of speech because the police can just come and lock you up and you'll be silenced. If you and your neighbors are all armed the government will think twice about trying to silence you. It's the same for the rest of your rights. We got our rights by using guns and we have to keep them the same way. If we can keep the pressure of a threat present then we might not have to actually use the guns. Boys play guns and army games because they have a natural warrior instinct in them. It's a biological trait. They are training through play to learn how to protect the tribe. It's not bad that you don't like it it's just not the average. I wasn't at all serious about the name I called you, I was being extreme for a reason. First I wanted to demonstrate the absurdity of arguing by insult and I also wanted to point out how it feels to have some on just up and out of nowhere personally attack you.
tyler3923:
Allow me to answer the question regarding what I use my guns for. I have 6. My 30-06 and 12 gauge are for hunting, my other 12 gauge is a beautiful 50 year old o/u that I intend to give to my future son. My M4 is for fun/varmint control. My .45 is for when my house is broken into again and its damn fun to shoot. And lastly, my .380 is my carry gun which I can fit in my pocket without anyone knowing.

Next I would like to say that never in my life have I heard a 14 year old classify themselves as a child. So I suspect one of two things. Poss 1.) You are a member of MDA posing as a child to get your point across or 2.) Your generation is utterly coddled and hopeless.

And finally, your contention about having a backgroumd check displays utter ignorance of the entire system. The only sales that are not subject to a background check are the ones that are done privately and in person.
benhazelton:
Thank-you for the apology. I need some clarification though. Why in the world would the police try to lock you are your neighbors up. Did it have something to do with guns? Guns cause problems. If we had no guns, guess what, the police will not try to lock you up (problem solved). And, I just find the argument of gun control highly hipocrytical. You and fellow NRA lovers say you want guns to protect you from guns of other gun lovers....Listen....Here that....BOOM. Common sense is in the house. Plus, how in the world is shooting zombies through a video game training. WHAT ARE WE TRAINING FOR. A zombie apocalypse. I mean, really. As amusing as killing live things is, we really don't need to have guns. Wouldn't it be better just to go and volunteer somewhere or just smile instead of shooting guns. There are so many other things you can do. Try to make an impact on the world (in a beneficial way, not with guns). For example, I am highly involved in the special needs community. I grew up with a severely disabled sister. She has shaped how I see the world. She passed away a year ago at the age of 15. She was the happiest person on the face of the earth. Today, my family expanding her impact by growing a program called RVAccess. I volunteer every Saturday with special needs children. It brings me so much happiness knowing that I am doing something to improve this world. I have seen friends, Democrats and Republicans, play with these children and see their viewpoints change. I am just saying, why choose guns when you can do so much else in this world.
benhazelton:
Man, @tyler3923, you really are a gun enthusiast. I love your second paragraph. It makes me laugh. And No, I am just a normal *teenager. Oh and I am so sorry that I am utterly ignorant in the gun possessing system. Being educated by a holy one as yourself makes me jitter with excitement. Are these sarcastic statements more teenage-like?

Now to the political issues. I find it extremely strange and quite horrible how you wish to carry around a hand gun in your pocket. And why is killing living things fun. Isn't that against everything christian-related. KILL KILL KILL DEATH DEATH FUN FUN FUN. Its quite barbaric. My sister died when I was 13. Yipee. Death is so much fun. Please reconsider your thoughts Tyler. And try to do something positive other than killing things.

Crap, too many words. I will site the rest later for America to enjoy. I think I am winning, just saying. Go me. yeah. Bye
tyler3923

Pro

Your post is not worth a response since it does nothing to argue your half of the topic. I will be blocking you upon the conclusion of this debate.
benhazelton

Con

Nuh-uh. I gonna block you on conclusion of the debate. Looks like you give up. I win. I provided a superior argument since I used sources and evidence. I gave a great moral lesson and crushed you. Go Carpathia, go life.
tyler3923

Pro

Again, not worth a response.
Posted by benhazelton 2 years ago
benhazelton
Remember this Tyler, "Next I would like to say that never in my life have I heard a 14 year old classify themselves as a child. So I suspect one of two things. Poss 1.) You are a member of MDA posing as a child to get your point across or 2.) Your generation is utterly coddled and hopeless." As we have proved, this generation is incredibly amazing.
Posted by elisofly2 2 years ago
elisofly2
Benhazelton is a nice and smart dog/turtle/person/goldfish. He is a shapeshifter. He was on the Carpathia and he saved me as I was about to drown when the Titanic wrecked. You need to be more like the Carpathia. The Carpathia cared. You don't care about people. I watched that whole video and I did not see any evidence that you endangered your life for a turtle. You wasted TEN HOURS of my life. How does that make you feel? Do you want me to show you a ten hour video to prove that Benhazelton is a shapeshifter? You know what? I will. Let's start the video. Grab the popcorn. If you can. Benhazelton will teleport to your house and steal your popcorn. Enjoy the video though. Just watch closely because there will be a spot where Benhazelton shows up and then turns into a turtle and pulls me a out of the water.
Posted by jamonster 2 years ago
jamonster
Please watch this video on why we should have guns Tyler. This may give you a reason to debate.
Posted by jamonster 2 years ago
jamonster
Tyler, you suck at debating.
Posted by elisofly2 2 years ago
elisofly2
Why were you playing in traffic?
Posted by tyler3923 2 years ago
tyler3923
I have zero complaints about the current system nor do I have a problem having a NICS check before I purchase a firearm.

You cannot stop evil with legislation. Recently in China, 26 people were fatally stabbed and another 140 wounded. There was another incident around the same time as Sandy Hook where 20 children were stabbed to death in China.
Posted by fdp1 2 years ago
fdp1
Tyler3923, it just so happens that benhazelton and elisofly2 and I are all kids (or children). The point I am making? Stop trying to act like you are so much better than us and stop being offended so easily. I would like to extend a part of this debate to myself. Lets talk about the 2nd amendment for a moment. When that amendment was created, the founding fathers thought that no one would start unnecessary violence. They made that amendment so that no only they could protect themselves from the invading British soldiers, but also to satisfy the other colonies so that they would unite. Now that there is all of these school shooting, most notably Sandy Hook, we must do something to stop this evil in the world. If it is as simple as getting a background check, let it be, but the death of first graders is nothing to be taken lightly. And why are you so upset about getting a background check? If you want the gun and are going to use it responsibly, there should be nothing you should have worry about. A criminal does not shoot 10 people and then turn around and say "I will now use guns like a civilized person". And if you still are complaining about it, are you just too lazy? If so, I do not think you should get that gun anyways. Just get off of your lazy butt and go down to get a background check. That is all I want to say.
Posted by tyler3923 2 years ago
tyler3923
I present to you video proof that I like turtles. It's in their somewhere... make sure you watch the video in its entirety.
Posted by elisofly2 2 years ago
elisofly2
I would like to see some evidence.
Posted by tyler3923 2 years ago
tyler3923
On the contrary, I have nothing against turtles of the "non-snapping" variety. When I was a child I saved one that was stuck on its back in the middle of the highway. As the weird zombie turtle kid so eloquently put it- "I like turtles."
Vote Placed by invisibledeity 2 years ago
invisibledeity
benhazeltontyler3923Tied
Reasons for voting decision: PROS arguments were better, and CON was rude!!!
Vote Placed by Seeginomikata 2 years ago
Seeginomikata
benhazeltontyler3923Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to pro. Both agreed to a serious debate and the con posted the most random illegible argument I've ever seen on this website. Record holder right here. As for the arguments, pro did not expand on his/her logic, but at least had some form of opinion. Con's entire argument can be summed up as... what the f***? Half of it is off-topic. The other half is unsubstantiated rhetoric.