stephannoi
ElphieMoose

Should we have regulation on video games and movies ?

Started: 7/10/2015 Category: Games

stephannoi

Pro

Hi, Elphie Moose.My real name is stephan but my nickname is stephannoi.I would like to challenge you to a debate whetever we should have regulation on video games and movies.I didn't say violent video games and movies should be banned but i think minors shouldn't expose to media violence because there are some scence that is inappropriate.Unless we should ban violent games and movies to minors.What about you.What would you say ?
ElphieMoose

Con

No, we should not have regulations on movies or video games. Why? Because parents should monitor what their child is receiving through television and the media. If their child is not mentally or emotionally mature for some content then block it. But if the child is mature enough for such content and it's been talked about or understood in your family then the child should be allowed to play or watch such content. If they no right from wrong and understand what's going on is not real then what's the problem? Why be restricted to an age limit? That's age discrimination which is very undermined. (It's all about gender/marriage equality right now which is cool :p). Also, there is no correlation between violent/mature content causing violent behavior in youth. If there is a problem to it please, address it. (Thanks and Good Luck Steph!)
stephannoi

Pro

But,you see that nowaday parents are irresponsible toward their child.They ignore the rating system and do not have a look wheter their child is mentally stable enough to play these games.There are certain age of minors that should not expose to media violence such as 5-7years old.But I guess 12-16 years are able to play mature games because they can distinguish between reality and fiction.
ElphieMoose

Con

(Used the wrong 'know' in my first argument, excuse me grammar Nazis :>) With your first statement, " But,you see that nowaday parents are irresponsible toward their child. They ignore the rating system and do not have a look wheter their child is mentally stable enough to play these games...." is very subjective. Every parent isn't like that, and parental blocks are very easy and efficient to use and maintain. Now let's assume every parent does not use a block or monitor, there still could be no such need for regulations because the parent can be the blocker themselves. If a parent is watching something they deem is inappropriate for their child then they can inhibit the child from viewing it in the home. With or without regulations a child may also always, find a way to play an M rated game or something deemed not appropriate for their "age". Pointing out age also brings me back to what I stated earlier about age bias, if an M rated game is set for the ages 17+ then everyone who is able to handle the game between the ages 12-16 are not given the opportunity to play it. One more thing, ratings may hurt the sellers. With movies and games originally set for a regulation of PG-13 may have to cut significant scenes out or bump up the rating to R, limiting their audience even further. Some movies that were originally set for PG-13 and pushed up to rated R have to spend extra time editing out parts and scenes that may have been more powerful for any type of audience between the ages of 12-16. But because of these regulations a lot of things that don't need to be censored and limited, are.
stephannoi

Pro

Although i know that violent video games does not link to violent crime and violent juvenile crime in united state as well as other countries has been on decline as violent video game popularity has increase.And there is no link between consumption of video games and violent crime.But eventhough,the violent crime is on decline,but we see some people commit violent crime such as Columbine shooting and sandy hook shooting which those people play violent games.It's better if we have background check on purchasing and playing video games.Such as mental unstable people or too young people who can't distinguish from reality and fiction shouldn't play violent video games.But i didn't say violent video games should be banned.
ElphieMoose

Con

I never say they should be banned either, I just think they shouldn't be regulated. You said it yourself that there is not link between violent crime and there is even a decline in video games as violent video game popularity increases. With that being said, sure there actually be a regulation with those results? Mentioning Columbine, if they were mentally unstable then the effects of violent video games or video games/movies in general had no affect on them anyways. These people were already messed up in the head beforehand. With the sandy hook shooter there was no mentioning of exposure to video games/movies and it said he had no motive, so video games and movies have no effect on these kind of people. Some say the video games even help as stress relievers and put as a barrier so people can perform such acts in a game and not in real life. So regulations should not be necessary. (Thanks for my first debate! I enjoyed it! xD)
Posted by stephannoi 1 year ago
stephannoi
So,you think the report said that Sandy hook shooter spend more time on non-violent games than on violent games.So you think there is no link between video games and motive shooting in case of Sandy hook shooting ?