Anopey
Parisien

Should we have school uniforms?

Anopey

Con

I would like to argue that we shouldn't have school uniforms and be free to wear whatever we want, with a few rules (you cant come naked or with only underwear etc)
Parisien

Pro

Hello, I am Parisien.

I am looking forward to having a good debate.

Since I am Pro, I will define my arguments

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals (No new arguments)

Definition:

- School Uniforms: A uniform primarily worn by children at school.

- School: An education institution for students in grades Kindergarten to 12. As well as teaching you subject skills, such as science, math, english, etc, school teaches you social skills and learning about the world.

No competition over clothes
Anopey

Con

To be Honest, my school uses uniforms. Although the officials argue that the uniforms maintain equality and make school seem more formal, the pros of uniforms are outweighed by the cons.

Let's start with the equality part. Making people LOOK the same is never going to make them equal. They are going to have different appearances, different intelligence levels and different hobbies. Uniforms may make them look the same at a first glance, but the effect will be worn off in a matter of seconds by how they look and act. It can easily be said that uniforms don't really make us equal.

Even if all the schools had uniforms, the students will graduate one day and be forced to pick clothes of their own. It should be common sense that a graduate who has worn uniforms will have less experience in choosing cheap and good clothing than one who hasn't worn uniforms.

Unlike most people think, uniforms don't stop bullying. Kids will find another reason to bully someone if they want to be bullies. Taking away the freedom of clothing because of some kids making fun of others isn't a smart idea as kids make fun of each other for many other things. Bullies are bullies and they will always find a reason to bully and making the bully and the bullied wear the same clothes doesn't really make them buddies.

School uniforms destroy creativity. Kids love to express themselves and uniforms destroy their opportunity to show creativity in who they are. A kid interested in music could wear a t-shirt with his or her favorite band which would both make him or her express himself and boost his morale, encouraging him to learn more as his morale is boosted. They both eliminate the concept of individuality in school and make the student less happy.

The way the uniforms are made aren't really the best anyway. Most uniforms are uncomfortable, boring and don't really vary that much among themselves. That makes the kids get bored easily and make them feel uncomfortable. We really shouldn't make school a more boring place for kids then it already is. The more bored they are, the less they will learn.

In the end, it should be clear that school uniforms take away individuality, destroy creativity and don't really stop bullying or create an atmosphere of equality. They even make the students less encouraged to learn.
Parisien

Pro

I have went to schools that had uniforms and schools that did not have it.m My friends and I mostly believe that we should have uniforms.

I'll continue on to prove my point.

As mentioned, I will rebut in the 3rd round, and only post my arguments in this round.

Arguments:

Argument 1: School Unity

Argument 2: Discipline

Argument 3: Sense of Equality

Argument 1: School Unity

Let's take a look at why sports team's all wear the same clothing. It is to show that they are one, and that they are strong when they are a team. Do you think the sense of unity, or the sense that the members are a team will be as strong when they all wear what they want?

Uniforms aren't like the old days. They aren't stiff, formal clothing that are extremely uncomfortable for children. They are loose, comfortable clothing for students, that are similar colors, to show that they are all a team and to show that they are united.

As well, wearing the uniform, with your school's mark or logo will make you feel pride.

Argument 2: Discipline

Although school uniforms are comfortable, there is a sense of discipline created. Too casual and free clothes may make the student concentrate on other things and feel over-relaxed. However if everybody is wearing the same clothing, students will focus more, and have an incentive to respect classmates, the school, and try harder in school subjects.

According to the article, "Dressed to Distraction", it states "
"It depends on the fashion trends - that year, strapless tops were popular for girls," Hammons said. "(Uniforms) provide for less distraction, less drama, and more of a focus on learning. It takes some embarrassing clothing situations out of the scene." as well as " "When either boys or girls come to school in revealing clothing, it distracts from learning," Superintendent Hazel Bauman said of the new restrictions."

At school, the focus should be learning, not competition over who dresses better.

Argument 3: Sense of Equality
" When all students are dressed alike, competition between students over clothing choices and the teasing of those who are dressed in less expensive or less fashionable outfits can be eliminated. In a 2013 survey by the National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP) and uniform manufacturer Lands' End, 86% of school leaders said uniforms make "a significant, positive impact on peer pressure," and 64% said uniforms reduce bullying. [32] Arminta Jacobson, Founder and Director of the Center for Parent Education at the University of North Texas, stated that uniforms put "all kids on the same playing field in terms of their appearance. I think it probably gives them a sense of belonging and a feeling of being socially accepted." [5]Virginia B. Draa, Assistant Professor of Human Ecology at Youngstown State University, said uniforms can decrease peer pressure and blur class lines between students." said by Jennifer Weiss, at the New York Times.

Sure, bullying won't completely stop. But bullying over who is more wealthy, who wears better clothes, and etc will be eliminated due to uniforms.

Clothing is not the most important in school. But it is slowly becoming the most important. Many students, on the "poor side" are cyberbullied, as well as physically bullied for their clothes that are not as expensive.
School uniforms should be implemented, because of bullying due to clothes, and the benefits it brings in terms of concentration at school and better performance of students.

Vote for PRO

=======================================================
https://en.wikipedia.org...

http://www.cdapress.com...

http://www.nytimes.com...

1. Sense of Equality 2. Discipline 3. School Unity http://www.debate.org...;
Anopey

Con

Anopey forfeited this round.
Parisien

Pro

Parisien forfeited this round.
Posted by XxBeccaxX 9 months ago
XxBeccaxX
I think that we should NOT have school uniforms because the way children dress is them being creative about them selves and showing the world there own personality and not some school uniform shutting them down.