august55433
Man_Of_Few_Words

Should we have welfare?

august55433

august55433

Con

I believe that we should not have welfare. I think that it makes people lazy, and it overall hurts society. I will look forward to my opponents argument. Thank you.
Man_Of_Few_Words

Pro

Hey august55433 I accept the debate and look forward to it. I'm going to jump right into this one by stating my opinion which is as followed: Welfare is necessary because even though some people may take advantage of the system, it is much better than having more people on the streets and homeless.
august55433

Con

Alright, so I believe that welfare should not be apart of society. My opponent says that it keeps people off the streets. He also said that not many people abuse it. I disagree with that statement. Lets run some numbers to find out.

According to the 2010 US Census Bureau findings, there are 114.8 Million families in the US. With 34.2% of US families on welfare". This means that approximately 39.3 Million homes receive monthly welfare benefits. The Federal government spent $451.9 Billion in 2012 on welfare expenditures. This averages out to roughly $11,500 annually per family or $958 per family per month.

If the fraud rate is only 2%-3%, how much money could it really be costing us? That is about 1.2 million families are illegally receiving welfare benefits. At the average rate of $11,500 per year, this is costing the tax payers about $13.5 billion per year!

Now just on to add to that list of facts, I just want say that having a safety net makes people lazy. If I am not working and I get free money from the government, I would never work again! Even if it is a small amount, I can still live off of it without working a day in my life. How is that fair to the guy who works 12 hours a day to feed his family? Then you have this other man who is sitting on the couch watching TV doing nothing.

My opponent said in the comment section "and if those sad individuals want to live off of just off of welfare and have a boring life then they can and I could care less." Really? You could care less? People do live of welfare and it's sick. What you could care less about is costing our country $13.5 billion dollars a year. So next time, you should think about what your saying before you engage in a topical discussion.
Man_Of_Few_Words

Pro

Man_Of_Few_Words forfeited this round.
august55433

Con

As you can see, my opponent has for fitted this round.
Man_Of_Few_Words

Pro

Man_Of_Few_Words forfeited this round.
august55433

Con

Please comment below, and make sure to vote!
Man_Of_Few_Words

Pro

Man_Of_Few_Words forfeited this round.
Posted by Man_Of_Few_Words 2 years ago
Man_Of_Few_Words
wait how did i forfit all of those rounds i only waited like 2 days ):
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Let a man's belly start to growl, and he will work.The times I didn't have work is when I did not want to work. That goes for everyone.

man............They would produce or get fired. That is how it works in the real world.There is nothing more satisfying than have a customer say, " well done."
Posted by Man_Of_Few_Words 2 years ago
Man_Of_Few_Words
but they will live a boring life if they do therefore if they had a job they probably wouldn't get anything done
Posted by Anthonyd114 2 years ago
Anthonyd114
Completely agree. Welfare burdens the populations as a whole. People will sit their butts on welfare for the rest of their life and will refuse to get a job.
Posted by Man_Of_Few_Words 2 years ago
Man_Of_Few_Words
There would be more on the street without welfare though, and if those sad individuals want to live off of just off of welfare and have a boring life then they can and I could care less
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Welfare is simply people freeloading off others.

It used to be there were charities that took care of poor folks. And they were few. Until government put their little pinkies in it. Then it exploded into what we have today. A welfare state.PRO said that if we did not have welfare there would be people living in the streets. We have that with welfare. And all the trillions of dollars wasted on Johnson's great society programs has just about collapsed America. We have gone over the cliff financially, just haven't hit bottom yet.
Vote Placed by Imperfiect 2 years ago
Imperfiect
august55433Man_Of_Few_WordsTied
Vote Placed by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
august55433Man_Of_Few_WordsTied
Reasons for voting decision: The resolution is normative and hence the burden of proof is shared. Pro made a couple of arguments which were subsequently rebutted by Con. Con rightly pointed out that welfare schemes are sometimes victims of fraud, and gave quantitative evidence of the true cost of the data. Con also rightly pointed out that welfare schemes create a disincentive in people to work. These were not refuted because Pro forfeited his final rounds. I am awarding neither S&G but I want to remind Con that its spelt "forfeited". I am giving Con sources, but Con should remember to post links to the sources in the future, so that data cited as evidence can be verified by his/her opponent and the voters.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
august55433Man_Of_Few_WordsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
august55433Man_Of_Few_WordsTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff