Should we keep the death penalty?

I believe that we should keep the death penalty. I feel that people who have committed crimes against humanity, don't deserve to live. They certainly are not worth the $168,00 dollars that we spend on them per year in prisons. That's why I think we should keep the death penalty and I expect a lively debate with my opponent! Thank you.

1,000 characters! Hopefully that'll be just the right amount.

I'm glad you challenged me to this debate, it's nice receiving debate requests regarding my opinions on big issues.

Anyway, let's get into this.

Right off the bat, I've found it costs (on average) between $20,000 and $40,000 a year to house an inmate [1], [2]. So the main question is: is it worth it? And I would say yes. Death can be an escape, or an adventure for people. Even a "free pass," as we are unsure what happens after death - it could just be nothing. For people to be punished for their actions in their living lifetime would reduce the amount of crimes, as if people who shot up schools were only "set free of their lives," there wouldn't be much reason not to shoot up a school.

I'll give my own arguments next round, thanks!

I will start out with this. Between $20,000 and $30,000 is the lowest of the low for housing an inmate. The overall average to house an inmate is about $47,000 dollars a year. Take $47,000 and multiply it by the years they are in prison, and you will get a big amount of money. Im sure my opponent will argue the cost it takes to give someone the death penalty, so ill argue that right now. It costs about $3 million dollars per execution. The average life sentence is 80 years which means that life in prison would cost $3.7 million dollars. That means that life in prison is actually more expensive. As prisoners age and become infirm, they can cost taxpayers two to three times as much to house and care for as younger, healthy prisoners, as the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation reports. In my next argument, i will explain the morality of the issue

For you to take a life sentence into consideration, you need to take into account of the actual amount of time spent in prison. For someone to really spend 80 years in prison, they would need to live to be 100+ while still in prison. The average life expectancy for people sentenced to prison at the age of 25 is 64 years [1], so that's about half of your 80 years. That means half of that $3.7million figure, which is about a million dollars less than execution.

So there goes the argument about money.

Alright, I'll bring up my point - there is zero punishment in the death penalty. People will die painlessly, and be set free from whatever Hell they're living in, or from whatever punishment they have to endure in real life. There is no pain in their "punishable" life time, and they can end their existence possibly not painfully at all, with possibly nothing after death.

Well I wouldn't say "So there goes the argument about money." because there is still an argument to be had.

I would like to acknowledge the statement "there is zero punishment in the death penalty." I don't think that this is true. Any bible believers out there would disagree with you. Judgement will happen after this person dies, and that punishment is worse then sitting in a nice jail cell getting fed.

Genesis 9:6 "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image.

Exodus 21:12 "Whoever strikes a man so that he dies shall be put to death.

Those people who don't believe in the bible can think about this. Is it fair that they are still alive? Should we be spending any money at all keeping them alive? If a man kills another man, why should they still have the privilege of being alive? Life is the most precious thing on this earth is it not? Its not fair to the family's of the victims, that the killer is still alive and well.

If there is still an argument about money, please present it, as I have shown it costs less (on average) to keep a man in prison than put him to death.

If you wish to quote the Bible, you'll need to prove it is truly the word of God, and that God exists. The Bible is real like a state law book is real - it gives us morals to live by.

You're saying that because the Bible says to put someone to death who commits murder, it makes sense to execute him? What is death? The lack of life. What happens after death? Possibly, or probably nothing. For the result of killing someone to be... well, nothing... wouldn't make much sense, would it? Wouldn't it make much more sense to see physically that a murderer is actually paying for his actions, instead of being set free? Wouldn't you want to know for a fact he is being punished for killing an innocent human and destroying their families lives?

Or would you rather literally say "oh well maybe he's suffering, even though science says otherwise"?

I'm saying that just because something costs more, does not mean that its better. Also, I quoted the Bible because i thought it would appeal to people who are believers in the Bible. Yes, I agree. The Bible does give us morals to live by, and that is why I chose those quotes because I think that they would help us make this decision. "You're saying that because the Bible says to put someone to death who commits murder, it makes sense to execute him? " Yes, i thought i made that clear? Isn't that what this debate is mostly about? I think it does make sense because they shouldn't be here anymore! We don't want them here!

You keep saying the same thing over and over. You made this into weather or not the afterlife exists. I will say my final statement one last time. I dont think that these people deserve to be on our planet. We are better off without them. If you imaginae the world with all the convicted murderers gone... I would want to live in that world. Thank you.

Mister_Man forfeited this round.
Posted by Mister_Man 1 year ago
Undecidedaboutlife - Thanks a lot for your input, although I guess others felt I didn't do so well in the debate, it's good to see someone with a good input.
Posted by august55433 1 year ago
I would rather spend money to sentence them to death, then to keep them alive.
Posted by undecidedaboutlife 2 years ago
august55433, I think you should've researched this topic more before starting this debate. Being sentenced to death by execution does not mean the convicted person will be killed straight away. They usually spend years in prison, sometimes up to 30, waiting for their execution. Appeals have to be made, people have to keep working on the case, which means families of victims don't get the closure they deserve. Also, there are cases where the sentenced person is found innocent after spending decades in prison. If they were in a place where the death penalty was legal, they could have died for no reason.

I strongly agree with Mister_Man's point about how death can be considered freedom. If someone was planning on dying anyway, and they were faced with the possibility of a painless death, where is the incentive not to kill 20 people on their way out of this world? By sentencing them to life without parole they are faced with the possibility of living in a small cell, usually only one instant chance at appealing before being locked away, and having to face decades living with their guilt (hopefully) and their own thoughts. Personally, I'd rather the painless death.

And I'd also like to argue against august55433's point about why should we waste our money on people, paying for their life in prison. There has been a lot of research into what is more expensive, and probably 90% of these results show that the death penalty is actually more expensive.
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Really sorry for missing the last round, you have a good points, but you don't dispute mine at all - there is no punishment to anyone if they receive the death penalty. More people will be killed because people won't worry about suffering in jail for dozens of years.
Posted by august55433 2 years ago
Just wanted to add, if we put those murders to the death penalty, less people would die. Three New Hampshire prisoners that were convicted of murder, escaped and killed several people. Would they have died if they faced the death penalty in the first place?
Posted by august55433 2 years ago
Sounds good, im looking forward to it too!
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Thanks! I'll accept when I get the chance, I think tomorrow sometime.

I like your dollar figure argument, looking forward to a good debate!
Vote Placed by SebUK 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Mister Man showed that the death penalty is more expensive which Pro did not really fully respond back to , Pro also used a religious argument which was dissapointing to see as we do not live in a theocracy and our laws should not be based on religion.