AndersonRomanhuk
Hazzaboy98

Should we learn a Second Language

Hazzaboy98

AndersonRomanhuk

Pro

There are lots of studies that show the advantages of learning a second language. Besides that, we can also get around a lot easier by learning other languages, thus making personal, professional and academic lives not only easier, but also a lot more fun.
Hazzaboy98

Con

Before we begin the debate I would like to clarify one thing with Pro. Are you arguing that it should be compulsory that everyone should learn a second language, or just as a recommendation to people?

Apart from that I look forward to this debate, good luck!
AndersonRomanhuk

Pro

It is just a recommendation (for adult learners), but when it comes to kids/teens, it could be compulsory up to high school for example and after that they could choose if they wanted to continue pursuing the second language...
Hazzaboy98

Con

Well to state my primary argument, although I can see the benefits of learning a secondary language, I don't think you quite understand the time and effort that goes into learning one... unfortunately, not everyone is good at it! However, under your system kids up until the end of high school, which is a significant age, will be spending their time learning a language. This is wrong on two fronts. Firstly, is it really fair to force kids whose strengths lie in other areas to do a language? I believe this is simply a vicious circle, if the child begins to fail at the language because it isn't their forte they will begin to devote more time to it so as to pass exams. This child however may have a love of Mathematics and have no plans of travelling abroad, it is fair that they have to divert THEIR time away from their true passion to seek a goal that the nation thinks is "necessary" or "fun" as you put it!? I certainly think not. Secondly, kids at the end of high school will be looking at universities and colleges that they could attend. Many of these establishments are very competitive and are looking for only the best students to study at them, even a slight slip in grades could affect a students chances at one of these places, and where you go beyond school has a large knock on effect on ones life. Therefore I feel it is not fair to make students learn a language up until the end of high school, as the negative connotations that come with it are too great for it to be justified.
AndersonRomanhuk

Pro

AndersonRomanhuk forfeited this round.
Hazzaboy98

Con

I shall await my opponents response...
AndersonRomanhuk

Pro

AndersonRomanhuk forfeited this round.
Hazzaboy98

Con

I assume my opponent has either changed his mind or is unable to answer?
AndersonRomanhuk

Pro

AndersonRomanhuk forfeited this round.
Hazzaboy98

Con

That's unfortunate!
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
AndersonRomanhukHazzaboy98Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con highlighted the practical aspects, of learning a language, to be a sufficient barriers. The barriers of time spent in having to learn, and the effects on students at school, required addressing by Pro, in order to continue this debate. Pro forfeited from then on.