Blargog
AllAboutContent

Should we legalize marijuana

Blargog

Pro

I believe the United States should legalize marijuana. Not only should the government not impress their influences on everyday people, there are good uses for marijuana.

In 1920, the United States government put into place the 18th Amendmant of the constitution. This called for the ban of selling, buying, and making of alcoholic drinks. It was called the Prohibtion. According to Wikipedia, during the Prohibition era, deaths from alcohol poisoning soared much higher than before the 18th Amendmant was put into place. Not only that, in more than 30 cities, it was reported that crime rose more than 24%. There were stuides saying that this was because of organized crime related to alcohol dealing. If the United States government were to legalized marijuana, crime from drug warfare would go down, just like it did in 1933, when they repealed Prohibition.

There are good uses for marijuana. For example, medical marijuana. Some diseases such as Glaucoma, an eye disorder, marijuana is a effective treatment. In other cases marijuana can be used to kill pain.

I rest my first round argument for the legalization of marijuana.

AllAboutContent

Con

I do not think the government should touch the status quo of marijuana use.

I smoked it twice (not inhaling of course) in my youth, back when just about everyone I knew was doing it. It did not do anything for me so I never tried it again afterwards. I went to a Bob Dylan concert back in 1970 and saw the haze hanging around and smelled the ubiquitous vapor of the burning grass. Cops were walking the ailes of the huge coliseum but they made no efforts trying to stop folks from smoking the illegal stuff.

Smoking marijuana remains illegal to this day. It also ironically remains accessible to the public. People grow the plant in their basement under artificial lights or in public woods which are not frequented by visitors (I even saw a plant in the backyard of a house once), they buy the leaves from friends or suppliers, they bring the stuff in returning home after visiting a foreign land. At the airport, dogs trained to smell out contraband drugs actually ignore the smell of marijuana. They are more interested in the hard drugs.

So the system actually works: smoking marijuana is illegal but anyone who wants to smoke it get to do it without too much fuss. Why change the system if it works? We should devote our time and energy working on things that are broken or more urgent instead.

I doubt very much smoking marijuana is worse than smoking tobacco which is strangly LEGAL. Smoking tobacco is clinically proven very very bad for one's health - it raises one's risk to lung cancer, bladder cancer, metabolic syndrome and many other health concerns. But being less harmful does not equate having no ill effects. How can inhaling a lungful of fumes be good? If we run marijuna fume through a gas chromatography machine, we will for sure find carcinogens in the fume.

At for the benefits of smoking marijuana, is it really the treatment of choice when it comes to pain or glaucoma? I doubt it since FDA certainly has not approved the use of marijuana for such indications. I handle a lot of clinical data. Not once have I seen anything suggesting smoking grass has medicinal efficacy.

So let us not argue about whether it's good or bad to do grass. The truth ruth is doing marijuana remains a recreational activity. People smoke it because it's "something cool to do" just like smoking cigarettes, chewing gums, or even playing yoyo. Some thing to keep us occupied. Not a big deal.

Why should we waste government money (really, taxpayers' money) legalizing it when those who insist on using it can pretty much get it anytime anywhere?
Blargog

Pro

I agree with you that marijuana is more available than is should be, being an illegal drug but the fact that is "illegal" makes all the difference. Many people avoid buying marijuana just because it is illegal. You said that "I doubt very much smoking marijuana is worse than smoking tobacco which is strangly LEGAL." so if it is less dangerous than tobacco, why not make it legal? Keeping it illegal was just prevent people from expressing their personal interests.

You also said that marijuana is a recreational activity, well, if I were to use marijuana as a recreational activity, I'd rather know that is would be legal. The looming presence of the "law" will always make some people think twice before breaking the law. It is a big deal that smoking marijuana is illegal because according to you, it's only a recreational activity.

Lastly, the government should use the money to legalize the use of weed because, even though you can get weed in many places, there is always a chance of some cop catching you and arresting you.

AllAboutContent

Con

AllAboutContent forfeited this round.
Blargog

Pro

I bring another case for the legalization of marijuana yet it is a less common one. If we legalize marijuana, the disproportionate amount of arrests for blacks and Hispanics would be reduced. Not only that, it would dim the perception that the law enforcement agencies are racist. According to http://www.alternet.org..., African Americans make up 13% of the countries population. They make up about 13.5% of the United States' annual marijuana users. Yet they make up 26% percent of arrests. With the legalization of marijuana, there would be no problem because you wouldn't be arrested for smoking.

Another reason for the legalization is that marijuana is safer and less addictive than alcohol. According to http://www.saferchoice.org.... Marijuana is 10 times more effective than alcohol. So why should we treat smokers harshly when they're using a much "safer drug than that of alcohol users?

It makes no sense. Would you want to be punished for doing something that was less dangerous than the worse thing that is allowed?

AllAboutContent

Con

AllAboutContent forfeited this round.
Blargog

Pro

Blargog forfeited this round.
AllAboutContent

Con

AllAboutContent forfeited this round.