CoachRon
DamianFarson96

Should we let 6th graders play sports with 7th and 8th graders

CoachRon

Pro

Some say 6th graders should not be allowed to play sports with 7th and 8th graders.
100 years ago this was implemented on the football field for fear of 6th graders being hit by 240 pound eight graders. Today there are many sports that 6th graders could do and not have this fear. I also feel this gives the 6th graders an introduction to Middle School and feel safe at the same time. teaching 7th and 8th graders should be coached in the art of mentorship and leadership skills to help the 6th grader make the transition. CoachRon 30 years as a wrestling coach
DamianFarson96

Con

I disagree for several reasons , the first reason is this is a critical time during child development. Sixth graders have a lot of learning to when looking at it from developing social standpoint weather this be learning about sex, friendships, drugs ,alcohol, social groups. Yes they do have contact with one another in the hall ways and outside of school but not there main classes, allowing sixth graders very impressionable sixth grader to play sports with the older kids could do more harm then good. The second reason in regards to your argument regarding the fear of being hit by a 240 eight grader, while this is true ,letting sixth graders play with 7th and 8th graders would give the 7th and 8th graders a biological advantage meaning puberty. During puberty our body is changing mentally and physically ,we become more emotional, our muscular structure is changing , our height is increasing and we are getting faster and stronger, so based on this information very few sixth graders go through puberty at that age so it would put them at a disadvantage when playing school sports.
CoachRon

Pro

Thanks ! I will make 5 points and 1 finishing comment.
1) Yes This is a critical time during child development. As is with all stages of Childhood.
2) YES 6th graders have a lot of learning to do. As with all Grades
3) Also I agree "Yes they do have contact with one another in the halls and outside of school but not in the classroom.
I hope this isn't to imply that The halls and outside School is a better place to learn. but be that as it may. they do learn everything we don't want them to learn In the halls and outside of School. Under the supervision of a coach we hope they are learning Life Skills ( Respect, Accomplishment, Sportsmanship, The ability to overcome fears, Social interaction and making friends)
4) Allowing 6th graders to play with 7th and 8th graders could do more harm then good.... well allowing 6th graders to play sports with 7th and 8th graders could do more good THEN HARM !! Please this is not Sarcasm but think about that.
5)Letting 6th graders play with 7th and 8th graders a biological advantage Meaning Puberty >>> Puberty is the time in life when a young person starts to become sexually mature. In girls, puberty usually starts around 11 years of age, but it may start as early as 6 or 7 years of age. In boys, puberty begins around 12 years as age, but may start as early as 9 years of age. Duke University -
Out of 50 states 48 except 6th 7th & 8th graders in sports together.. some sports interaction is restricted like 6th graders against 8th graders on the football field. Some states have 6th graders only playing JV sports and some States allow for 6th graders to only Practice with the a jv 7th and 8th grade team. Team sports was limited in sports like Football, basketball, soccer , but sports like Ping Pong, Tennis, Wrestling, Baseball had No restrictions to 6th graders. Harvard University Studies : Texas University Studies
Improved Concentration
Howell Wechsler, director of the Division of Adolescent and School Health for the Centers for Disease Control, reviewed 50 studies that examined the effect of school-based physical activity on academic performance and discovered that half of the studies showed positive associations and virtually none of the research demonstrated any negative impact. Multiple studies demonstrated that even relatively short spans of physical activity helped increase the duration and intensity of concentration following such activities, including those in which the students never left the classroom.
Fitness and Test Scores
A study by James Pivarnik and colleagues at the American College of Sports Medicine discovered that middle-school students who performed best on fitness tests -- gauging aerobic capacity, strength, endurance and body composition -- also performed better academically. The study, which included 317 students, showed that the fittest kids scored nearly 30 percent higher on standardized tests than the least-fit group. Moreover, the less-fit students received grades in their core subjects that were 13 percent to 20 percent lower than their fitter classmates.
So in my final though: I hope all administrators in Middle School Do their Homework and develop handbooks that include the 6th graders in sports and I hope Coaches get educated better, for their role in the development of 6th 7th and 8th graders as well as all ages is one of Life skills
DamianFarson96

Con

1.You are not acknowledging the fact that 7th graders and 8th graders are going to have a biological advantage.Puberty is not just sexual maturity its everything like previously stated they get bigger and they get taller anyone who has gone through puberty knows this.

2. your point on number 4 is a fallacy and unsupported by facts.

3. Your "facts" at the bottom are to vague to be considered in this debate because it doesn't say the age of the children or what grades.you Your reference to fitness test do not hold merit because it's common sense that the less fit kids scored lower on the standardized fitness test when compared to the more fit kids. However what would be relevant is if we could see the scores from a standardized fitness test and comparing the 6th grader,7th graders, 8th graders. But these "standardized fitness test's" t don't measure speed and strength they just show Flexibility, Body composition, BMI. If the test's required running and lifting weights you might have a compelling argument.

My final thoughts: Please I encourage you to find a government issued standardized test that has this information. No hard feelings.
CoachRon

Pro

Ok you win !! There are so many studies out there for and against. Who are we to say we are right over another. One fact for sure is, as Coaches and Teachers and Parents we should provide a safe and educational atmosphere to our kids.

I should have posted more case study for you, I as I state there are so many that for everyone you find I can find one to counter you. So the reason I posted this is because some administrators want to just say NO and this cuts out so many kids that it would help. I feel student rules and hand books should have the rule that 6th graders may participate in sport with 7th and 8th graders with restrictions applied and after a meeting with the Parents, administrators ,Teachers & Coaches to see which sports their 6th grader in question wants to pursue.
If a 6th grader comes to me and says I would like to try Wrestling I sign him/her up on my club team which is a feeder program for the Olympic team and they get to compete with older kids. after hours of practice time and evaluation we determine if the youth is ready and can protect themselves on the mat. This is providing them with a door or means to having a feeling of accomplishment and its a way to show them how to set goals and become a better person. No its not for all kids but you and I both know there are many kids today being raised down the wrong path and if Sport gets them to a better way then we did what is right.
Don't it feel go to be apart of the team ? for 6th graders it does !!! by the way 75% of all Middle schools have 6th graders with 7th and 8th graders are they wrong ?
DamianFarson96

Con

DamianFarson96 forfeited this round.
CoachRon

Pro

CoachRon forfeited this round.
DamianFarson96

Con

DamianFarson96 forfeited this round.
CoachRon

Pro

CoachRon forfeited this round.
DamianFarson96

Con

DamianFarson96 forfeited this round.