Rjupudi18
batman01

Should we let Muslim refugees come to the West?

Rjupudi18 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Rjupudi18

Con

Post your first argument.
batman01

Pro

Alright, I have accepted best of luck to my opponent.

I think we should accept Muslim refugees into the west. First, I'd like to give a definition of refugee:

Refugee- a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.

In other words, being a refugee is not exactly fun. We obviously can help these refugees by allowing them to come to Western countries. We can help these people and I fail to see how being Muslim would play any part in our decision. The question then becomes: Should we let people forced out of their country because of war or persecution into our wealthy country? The answer is obviously yes. Perhaps my argument is not as logical or as technical as my usual argument but I think this is a rather simple issue. We need to love people who are hurting right now.

I understand that Con is a Christian and I would like to ask Con a question: do you really think Jesus would deny refugees access to the West? Do you think he would make some argument about terrorists or stealing our jobs? Obviously if he is the person we think he is, he would not. He would choose to help people who are hurting as opposed to the opposite.

Thanks, looking forward to my opponent's response.
Rjupudi18

Con

I thank my opponent for accepting the debate and posting a respectful and thoughtful response.

I agree with the fact that we can and should help refugees. However, this does not necessarily mean bring them in to Western countries. There are lots of other ways we could help such as supplying food, water and clothing. The fact that many refugees are Muslim does in fact play a role in our decision. Muslims (not all but most) do not mix with Western culture and would rather spread their religion than be a part of the nation that helped them. Most American Muslims even some born in the United States are Muslim first, American second. This is not to say religion is less important than patriotism but American Muslims can relate more with their Middle-Eastern counterparts than their fellow American citizens. If you look the statistics, you will see why Muslim refugees are a problem. Look at Germany for example. They took in hundreds of thousands of refugees and what do you have...that's right, a bunch of rapists raping innocent white German women. Look at all the attacks in Europe. The truth is Muslims can't seem to respect Western civilization and would change our countries to the same s**t holes they fled from.

You indicated we are wealthy nations. First of all, I don't think that's exactly true as we have economic problems as well. Besides, why is it always the burden on Western "Christian" countries to take in refugees from Muslim nations? Saudi Arabia is filthy rich and they don't take in refugees even though they're Muslim and have the resources to do so. I think Muslims should worry about their own brethren and we should mind our own business instead of jeopardizing the safety of our fellow Americans, Canadians, etc. from Muslim extremism.

The fact that I'm Christian doesn't change the scope of reality. I don't know what Jesus would do. Maybe he would let in refugees, maybe not. But I happen to be a human being from the West and I can't stand refugees coming in and getting high class services while our own poor are suffering on the streets.
batman01

Pro

REFUTATION ONE: "We can help them without bringing them into our country."

Not really. I mean true we can help them but sending them food and water as you suggest but this help is really just the bare minimum of what we could do. Sending refugees bottles of water is nothing when we could let them into the relative prosperity of (most) our Western countries.

REFUTATION TWO: "Muslims would rather spread their religion than become a part of the nation that helped them."

This makes the assumption that spreading Islam is not consistent with being part of the nation. On the contrary, the right to spread religion is one of the things which makes most Western countries so relatively great. One can work to spread the religion of Islam and still consider oneself a member of a nation.

REFUTATION THREE: "If you look the statistics, you will see why Muslim refugees are a problem."

I would look at the statistics but you didn't cite any. The Muslim Refugee crime idea is a total myth. A project called Hoaxmap found a total of 358 unsubstantiated rumors floating around the internet pertaining to refugee crimes. Since 2014 the number of refugees has increased by 440 percent and yet the amount refugee crimes committed has increased by only 79 percent. This can be seen at (http://www.theatlantic.com...).
Some more statistics, the rape rate in Germany is 10.7 per 100,000 people ("Statistics : Crime : Sexual Violence". Unodc.org. Retrieved 2013-12-04.). Germany has let in about one million refugees in 2015 (https://www.theguardian.com...), this means that with the influx of refugees if refugees were just as susceptible to give into rape that you would expect 107 added rapes from last year. That sounds like a lot but it's really just the rate of white German people applied to the refugee population. Muslim refugees aren't inherently worse than white Germans and there is no reason to think that the rape or crime rate would be significantly higher among this population.

REFUTATION 4: "Besides, why is it always the burden on Western "Christian" countries to take in refugees from Muslim nations? Saudi Arabia is filthy rich and they don't take in refugees even though they're Muslim and have the resources to do so."

What an incredibly fatuous statement. We have to take in refugees from Muslim nations because
A). We have the ability to and
B). It is the right thing to do.
We are not in wars creating refugees and they are. This is a generalization which I should watch out for but nevertheless we have the ability to take them in and we should.
You noted that Saudi Arabia is filthy rich and they don't take in refugees. Saudi Arabia does take in refugees it takes in more than the United States despite having only a tenth of our population. There are between 0.5 and 2.5 million Syrians in Saudi Arabia and Syrians are referred to as 'Arab brothers and sisters in distress' (https://en.wikipedia.org...). The United States admitted around 40,000 Syrian refugees last year (http://www.pewresearch.org...). For comparison Saudi Arabia admitted around 4 percent of its population in Syrian refugees, the United States admitted 0.0125 percent of its population. The Saudi Arabians admitted proportionally 320 times as many refugees as we did last year. Stop being ignorant and realize that we are doing and risking very little by helping this small number of refugees.

REFUTATION 5: "But I happen to be a human being from the West and I can't stand refugees coming in and getting high class services while our own poor are suffering on the streets."

How are they getting high class service? They are f**cking refugees man. Their lives have not been as easy as yours. They do not get high class service and if they did I think they deserve it. We do have poor people suffering on the streets but that doesn't mean we shouldn't help other poor people who are suffering on foreign streets. The choice of helping American life instead of Syrian life is the placement of American life above Syrian life which is both Nationalistic and just wrong.
Posted by David_Debates 1 week ago
David_Debates
I know. #savage
Posted by Overnight 1 week ago
Overnight
@Rjupudi18 Nah, @batman01's arguments are just superior to yours.
Posted by Rjupudi18 2 weeks ago
Rjupudi18
@Overnight Why, are you a refugee?
Posted by Overnight 2 weeks ago
Overnight
Dang, batman01's refutations are savage.
Posted by XDM 3 weeks ago
XDM
How is this a religious debate instead of a political one and what are the debate criteria? I am very interested in accepting