lolaplant
prunesquallor

Should we put this much faith in science

lolaplant

Con

So many theories previously thought to be true were discredited and said to be false because new evidence comes along that shows that the new theory is more reasonable. Should we put so much faith in science so much so that any other possibility is declared useless
prunesquallor

Pro

So many theories previously thought to be true were discredited and said to be false because new evidence comes along that shows that the new theory is more reasonable. Should we put so much faith in science so much so that any other possibility is declared useless.

I have highlighted the salient points in my opponent's contention. My opponent asserts that science works in a fashion that discredits old theories in light of new evidence- to form new consistent theories that take this evidence into consideration. This, my opponent, is certain of.

However, after having said that, my opponent goes further to contend that we should not place faith in science so much so that "any other possibility is declared useless"- as to how a possibility can be useless is beyond me, although, I am willing to make a informed assumption- I will assume that my opponent wishes to state that- "we should not put faith in science so much so that any other explanation is rejected without due consideration". If this is what my opponent truly wanted to express, I would like to point out a looming contradiction in the entire argument (i.e.) when my opponent agrees that science is willing to reject older theories for newer more consistent theories- I believe my opponent accepts that science indeed considers newer possibilities and explanations.

Now, as a light dose of "reality check", I would urge my opponent to look around and contemplate over the presence of various instruments/equipments/utilities- even the computer and internet- which, I believe, my opponent must have used to introduce this debate into the DDO community, and think about how much faith we do put in science after all. The computer itself utilizes several theories stipulated by science that have been put to practical use- theories for semiconducting materials, boolean logic, faraday's laws, ohm's laws- and these are just the ones that come to mind at the moment.

I wait for my opponent to make a more compelling case. Thank you.
lolaplant

Con

lolaplant forfeited this round.
prunesquallor

Pro

prunesquallor forfeited this round.
lolaplant

Con

lolaplant forfeited this round.
prunesquallor

Pro

prunesquallor forfeited this round.