ss12
BearWithMe

Should we receive less homework?

ss12

Con

Adolescents in schools should not receive even less homework. Having an average amount of homework is sufficient for encouraging academic work. If students receive less homework, they will be used to not having as much discipline. They will become lazy.

In addition, having homework maintains a steady focus for keeping up with lessons and the curriculum taught in class. If not tasked with homework, we can forget what we learned in class, resulting in a less productive class the following day because the students are slower to grasp the next subject as they had not thoroughly learned the first.

It's important to students to have homework because it encourages being studious, puts them right on track in school, and teaches them discipline.
BearWithMe

Pro

Can you prove they will become lazy? I doubt this will change anyone's person, a lazy person to an industrious person or vice versa, and there's the moral question of it being right to force someone into being industrious.
All I see is a set up for failure, not inspiration for those who have problems with being lazy.

Many students suffer from sleep deprivation, causing a negative impact on alertness, memory and cognitive ability. http://www.webmd.com...

"It's important to students to have homework..." We are not debating if they should have homework or not, we are debating if they should have less homework, and as far as I'm concerned it promotes wanting to be done studying and even growing a distaste for studying because it is forced and they may not enjoy studying it.

ss12

Con

I'm apologize if my reasoning doesn't seem to make sense to you. But, you still never supported why you agree with students receiving less homework. The point of this debate is to argue with reasoning and evidence to support your points, not correct the other opponent on what he/she is supposed to do.
Disclaimer: Not trying to instigate a fight.

I think that it is perfectly sensible that students can grow a distaste for studying. However, the purpose of a good amount of homework is to keep the student interested and updated with what they have been studying recently, not to make them dislike it.
BearWithMe

Pro

"you still never supported why you agree with students receiving less homework." In debating your reasoning I have provided my reason for support, you never laid out specific rules, so I just began with the refutation. "The point of this debate is to argue with reasoning and evidence to support your points" Which you have not, I have with my facts on sleep deprivation.

"not correct the other opponent on what he/she is supposed to do." Which is exactly what you are doing to me. Correcting someone on how to debate can important to keep things going smoothly, instead of turning chaotic and fallacious. I am not demanding anything out of you, I am just asking for a proper debate.

"the purpose of a good amount of homework is to keep the student interested and updated with what they have been studying recently" Okay, so we're back on point, can we just agree to disagree on the rest that doesn't really have much to provide to the actual argument and instead focus on refutation and defense? Anyways, how do you decipher how much is really needed for this or that there is no room for homework cuts? There's variation throughout schools, but maybe you can find a medium that we can actually debate on.
This debate has already derailed quite a bit but it might be possible to save it.
ss12

Con

ss12 forfeited this round.
BearWithMe

Pro

can be important*
Posted by BearWithMe 2 years ago
BearWithMe
Right, Con never explained this very well. @reissalvin1998
Posted by reissalvin1998 2 years ago
reissalvin1998
Is there a standard of amount of homework given? I feel homework varies from teacher to teacher. Then on what measurement should homework either be reduced or kept, increased?