jynxx
funnycn

Should we shame teen pregnancy?

funnycn

jynxx

Con

To whoever accepts this debate, online debates are weird for me because you can't really understand the tone of the other person. In this case I'd like to point out that this is a friendly debate and no hard feelings.

Therefore moving onto my opinion of this subject. No, i do NOT think we should shame teen pregnancy. I am not necessarily saying that it is okay to get pregnant at the age of 16 (or any teenage year), I'm just saying we shouldn't shame it.

I think personally that getting pregnant at the age of any teenage year is wrong, but i can't blame them! With TV shows like MTV's "Teen Mom" or "16 and Pregnant" glorifying the idea of being pregnant at a teen age is WRONG. When i say "glorifying," i mean they take out all the hard parts of pregnancy, all the arguments or all the pain and how they deal with it. They cut out so many things, it seems to me like they are just giving them a good reason to get pregnant, cause hey! Maybe you can get on TV cause you get pregnant at 16!

Otherwise, even if because of that, don't give them the rough time about getting pregnant because maybe it wasn't her fault. Maybe the condom broke or he forgot to pull out? I know the idea of being pregnant at the age of 16 is bad, but don't give the girl even more stress to think about even if she didn't plan the pregnancy in the first place.

Take it away Pro.
funnycn

Pro

I accept this challenge.

I hold my position as Pro, and claim we should shame and punish teen pregnancy. My reasons are

i. It is stressful to the mother.

ii. It can cause health issues in babies.

iii. It is a bad decision.

First, it is stressful to the mother. At an age like 13, going through maturity is already stressful, painful, and not desirable. Imagine being pregnant at that age as well. There are numerous effects of stress. They include but are not limited to

i. Headaches
ii. Upset stomach
iii. Chest pains
iv. Insomnia (trouble sleeping)
v. Elevated blood pressure
vi. Anxiety
vii. Sexual tendencies.
[http://www.stress.org...]
[http://www.webmd.com...]
[http://www.mayoclinic.org...]

Enough stress can KILL you. How? Heart attack. As mentioned before, it increases blood pressure. High blood pressure is a HUGE factor for heart attacks. Even without shame, stress and pregnancy DON'T mix.

My second reason, the health issues it causes in the babies. Babies born to teenage mothers have a higher risk to have a disorder. Why? Teenage mothers are simply not physically ready for it. Going through maturity and being pregnant? That won't help the baby at all. Actually...babies born to teenage mothers have a higher chance OF DYING in the first year of their life. Even if they don't get any health complications they might die. What about the mother? Babies might not even be born vaginally because of the teenage mother's pelvic size. This means the babies will be removed via C-Section (cesarean section).
[http://health.howstuffworks.com...]

The babies being born alone to a teenage mother is risky with health but by C-Section it's even HIGHER. Breathing problems, scarring, and lower Apgar scores can be related to C-Section.
[http://www.healthline.com...]

So a baby being removed via C-Section from a teenage mother, is very risky. The mother might die via C-Section as well, though it is rare.

iii. It's a bad decision. Here are reasons why other than those already mentioned.

i. It's expensive for a teenage mother to raise a baby
ii. Babies born to a teenage mother have a higher chance to be abused.
iii. There is a higher chance the baby will drop out of school.
iv. There is a higher chance the mother will live in poverty
v. Only 30% mothers receive child support
vi. Teenage mothers that DON'T finish high school may not qualify for a well paying job.
vii. Children of teenage parents aren't raised as well compared to older parents.

[http://www.teenshelter.org...]

That is my argument. I am ready for the rebuttal.
jynxx

Con

Yes, it does sound like you are just saying it is wrong, and I agree, but I also do understand the fact that you're trying to say WHY we should shame it.

Your reasons to why we should shame it were:

"i. It is stressful to the mother.

iii. It is a bad decision."

One thing: "It is stressful to the mother."

I agree, but isn't most to all pregnancies stressful at one point or multiple points in time? Some mothers go through stress during pregnancy even if they aren't a teen, because hey that's 9 months of something growing inside of you. Shaming the girl won't help the situation, nevertheless the stress situation!

Secondly: "It can cause health issues in babies."

All in all, stress in a pregnancy can cause health issues, yes. But that just brings me back to what i said above.

Lastly: "It is a bad decision"

Yes, teen pregnancy is a bad decision, i agree. But we don't shame all bad things do we? Sometimes we just brush things off, but who are we to say?

I'd like to point out that your reasoning to the first argument was "At an age like 13, going through maturity is already stressful, painful, and not desirable. Imagine being pregnant at that age as well."

Yes, maturity sucks. Some kids at that age aren't even having periods yet though, so why are they even thinking about sex? think about the girls who are a little more older also. 16, 17, and 18. Maybe even 19. The older they get, the more they'll actually be ready. I'm not saying that it's right, but i'm arguing the fact that you just gave the lowest age.

You also said, "There are numerous effects of stress" And one of these things you listed was "Sexual tendencies."
Don't you think that's why they did it in the first place?

All the health issues you listed can actually be found in all pregnancies, not just teen ones.

It's really hard to argue with your statements because it sounds like you're arguing the fact that teen pregnancy is wrong, and i'm probably not helping by arguing back (haha). I agree 100 percent that getting pregnant at ages 13-19 is wrong, let alone before marriage shall i say.

My main point is that if being pregnant is stressful enough, why should we shame them and make things more stressful?
funnycn

Pro

I said I was going to explain how my reasons would be used to support my argument. This is it.

First, health effects would be a great place to start on why it should be shamed. If I saw a pregnant teenager, I would definitely berate them on how they could ruin their child's health because of their poor choice. Why shouldn't you? You say we "stress" them when we scold them for making poor choices. Well shouldn't we explain what will happen to their child because they made a bad decision? We shouldn't sugar coat it. Why should someone lie to their child and say teen pregnancy is okay? Maybe they DON'T say it's okay but the parents would still be making a bad choice by not explaining what the bad side is for being a pregnant teenager. Isn't that lying in some way? Even if it isn't, it's still wrong to let them be in the dark or say it's okay to be a pregnant teenager? If we don't shame teenage girls that are pregnant we should at least explain how their choices could lead to serious consequences mostly for the child. Shaming a pregnant teenager isn't wrong, or any more wrong than the choices they already made and the punishment they brought on themselves. But think of the child first. A baby born to a teenage mother could die in one year! And we are going to NOT shame them for that? If you thought stress was bad when you were pregnant, then think of what it will be like after the child is born. 10-20% mothers experience postpartum depression. Add that with the stress of raising the child and you have disaster. [http://www.webmd.com...]

If the father hasn't already left the mother, he might after the birth. Relationships in teenage years are already rickety bridges; the bridge after birth is worse. Should we shame the father as well? Yes we should. Both parties are involved, both should share the shame.

If you had a teenage daughter that came home pregnant what would you do? I would show her my first argument about the effects of teenage pregnancy. I might as well mention it isn't morally right either, however I will not go into that. If I do, it might turn into another debate.

Continuing, I will now examine your argument.

I should ask, is English your native language? If not I found an error in this sentence.

"Yes, teen pregnancy is a bad decision, i agree. But we don't shame all bad things do we? Sometimes we just brush things off, but who are we to say?"
The "I" before agree was not capitalized. To further state why should we brush it off?

Are you saying you would brush it off if your teenage daughter (pretend you have one) came home and she said she was pregnant? I doubt it. You would probably be irate (very mad).

Next,
"Yes, maturity sucks. Some kids at that age aren't even having periods yet though, so why are they even thinking about sex? think about the girls who are a little more older also. 16, 17, and 18. Maybe even 19. The older they get, the more they'll actually be ready. I'm not saying that it's right, but i'm arguing the fact that you just gave the lowest age."

I gave 13 because that's when teenage girls start to mature and have periods. Actually less than that, more like 12. Regardless however, 13 and pregnant is not uncommon.

"All the health issues you listed can actually be found in all pregnancies, not just teen ones."

I am aware. However the effects of the pregnancy is MUCH worse at the ages of 13-17. The lower the age, the worse.

"It's really hard to argue with your statements because it sounds like you're arguing the fact that teen pregnancy is wrong, and i'm probably not helping by arguing back (haha). I agree 100 percent that getting pregnant at ages 13-19 is wrong, let alone before marriage shall i say."

Two I's not capitalized. It just bugs me, sorry. If English isn't your native language you are excused.
jynxx

Con

I apologize ahead of time for not capitalizing the "I's" in my sentences. I am not used to doing that.

Okay, so you say that if you saw a pregnant teenager, you would berate them, correct? Would you do that publicly?

Not ALL teen pregnancies end up bad. Not all teen pregnancies end up with health effects on the kid, and don't you think the parent of that child knows there is a risk of health problems?

No, we shouldn't sugar coat it, we shouldn't for anything in matter of fact, but i never said anything about lying to your child saying that it is "okay" to be a pregnant teen, because it isn't. But if the child was raised correctly, and not from in a broken home, they most likely wouldn't be thinking about that in the first place.

One thing: "But think of the child first. A baby born to a teenage mother could die in one year! And we are going to NOT shame them for that?" COULD die in one year, sometimes they don't. We shouldn't shame them for that because we don't know if the baby is going to die or not in that first year.

Some girls get pregnant at a teen age by choice, and that I can maybe be a little more lenient towards shaming the girl. But what about the girls who didn't plan this?

Relationships. Yes, they can get ridiculous. Even if the father of the child leaves, it's not TOO stressful because the girl has the family left and best friends who help for support and who knows, she could even find another guy, a BETTER guy, and that would be less stressful. No matter if the boyfriend leaves or not, the girl has support still from SOMEONE and should feel comfortable with what they have.

There is something I agree with in your argument; "Should we shame the father as well? Yes we should."
But that's only if the father decides to leave.

Now, going back to "Are you saying you would brush it off if your teenage daughter (pretend you have one) came home and she said she was pregnant?"

NO, I would NOT just "brush it off" but I wasn't saying that we should brush off teen pregnancy, but I wouldn't shame her either. I'd be moral support because I know that if i didn't things could get worse. And that in my opinion needs to happen with parents. They need to step up and be an adult and not SHAME someone for maybe who knows an accident. (And yes, I actually do know what irate means), and like i said before, if i raised my child correctly, she wouldn't even be interested in having sex until later ages.

I apologize for any grammar issues, for I am German, and I'm working my best on perfecting English grammar.

Back to you Pro.
funnycn

Pro

"I apologize ahead of time for not capitalizing the "I's" in my sentences. I am not used to doing that.

Not ALL teen pregnancies end up bad. Not all teen pregnancies end up with health effects on the kid, and don't you think the parent of that child knows there is a risk of health problems?"

No problem about the I's. Anyways, not all teenagers are educated about teen pregnancy. Which is why we have sex ed in school, to teach the public about the dangers of under age sex and teen pregnancy.

"One thing: "But think of the child first. A baby born to a teenage mother could die in one year! And we are going to NOT shame them for that?" COULD die in one year, sometimes they don't. We shouldn't shame them for that because we don't know if the baby is going to die or not in that first year."

They could die in one year. I think we should shame them for that. Also, there are ways to test the child to see if it will die.

"Some girls get pregnant at a teen age by choice, and that I can maybe be a little more lenient towards shaming the girl. But what about the girls who didn't plan this?"

I'm sorry, but the only way I wouldn't shame it is if it was rape. Other than that, if you jump in a bed with a man and get pregnant it was your choice.

"NO, I would NOT just "brush it off" but I wasn't saying that we should brush off teen pregnancy, but I wouldn't shame her either. I'd be moral support because I know that if i didn't things could get worse. And that in my opinion needs to happen with parents. They need to step up and be an adult and not SHAME someone for maybe who knows an accident. (And yes, I actually do know what irate means), and like i said before, if i raised my child correctly, she wouldn't even be interested in having sex until later ages."

Moral support?

The definition of moral -"concerning or relating to what is right and wrong in human behavior"
[http://www.merriam-webster.com...]
So now you're stuck with answering my question. Since Moral means the definition given above, and you said you would give moral support, would you shame it or support teen pregnancy? I want this question answered. Because you already said you weren't for it but now you wouldn't shame it. However this statement says you have to support one or the other. No, you can't be neutral about teen pregnancy. Just like you can't be neutral with murder. It's good or bad here no in between.

Now, my argument.

Secondly, bad decision. Yes, we all know it's bad. We will now look into it more however other than the morals of it (because we already know it's wrong)

Right, the first thing I listed was the cost. It is expensive to raise a baby. Now the teenager obviously has parents or is living with a relative. If not, her boyfriend. Regardless, they need income. I don't think any relative would want to throw cash her way to raise a child. However they would, most likely. I would certainly not be happy tossing in a lot of money to raise my child's child. So really, I'd be raising two children at once. I'd have to stay home or I'd have to spend MORE money to get a baby sitter. You already see the cost of this right?

Then, was the abuse. I would MOST DEFINETLY shame a person who abused their child. Actually I'd have them arrested, but it's wrong regardless. Abuse is horrible. If you wouldn't shame, hate, or be horrified by this, then what would you feel or do?

Then the higher chance the child will drop out. Education is VERY important today. Letting a mother raise a child that will just drop out isn't right. Wouldn't you shame them for that too?

The poverty part. Already discussed this kind of. Unless the teenager is living with the parents this isn't a big topic to discuss. However teens do run away from their problems to live with their boyfriend.

Child support, not really another big issue.

Not getting a job also fits with the poverty very well. If you don't have a job (unless you're a teenager) and you have a child then that's really sad. Don't have a child you can't raise. This is referring to planned pregnancy.

Children of teenage parents not being raised as well. Yet again, don't have a child you can't raise. Every child should have the chance to be raised well, and be born into a good home. Sadly, teen pregnancy often ruins that chance every child should have.

Take it away con.
jynxx

Con

jynxx forfeited this round.
funnycn

Pro

My opponent has forfeit the last round.
Posted by Max.Wallace 2 years ago
Max.Wallace
Teenage pregnancy with no husband and no family is a very brave thing, and equally as selfish and stupid.
Posted by funnycn 2 years ago
funnycn
I would and you probably would too.
Posted by jynxx 2 years ago
jynxx
We can't really tell what anyone can or cannot do, we have no say in that. If they get pregnant at that age, we can't tell them off.
Posted by funnycn 2 years ago
funnycn
FURTHER NOTE-Yes, those are my reasons why we should shame teen pregnancy. It seems like I just argued about what is wrong with it, however I am really explaining why it should be shamed. Further debating will show it.
Posted by samal90 2 years ago
samal90
who are we to tell anyone what they can or can't do?
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
jynxxfunnycnTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by a_mysterious_stranger 2 years ago
a_mysterious_stranger
jynxxfunnycnTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited, didn't use sources, and agreed with pro. Pro had sources, and organized his arguments.