NDECD1441
Hamza_mazin

Should we streamline students based on their exam results

NDECD1441

Con

This is a school related subject. Should we streamline them based on their exams? 1st round is acceptance, 2nd round arguments and 3rd round is rebutals. Good luck.
Hamza_mazin

Pro

I happily accept this debate, and I will be arguing that exam results should determine the academic future of students.
NDECD1441

Con

Thank you for accepting this challenge.

How they are going to be streamlined: Students given majors

Now lets start with the args.

1) No confirmation info has even been digested.

We can all agree that people have tried to cheat in exams and some have succeeded with leaked test answers. This is a really general point but it cannot be ignored. The more people succeed to cheat in exams, usually the more people WILL try to cheat in exams and it just turns into a vicious cycle and it keeps on repeating but only with a bigger population this time. If we base assigning majors to these people, they may not be successful in that class because they cheated. Yes you may say they deserve it but I am just going to answer no. These students just want to score the tests as much as the next person but they are just afraid to fail. If we make them study what they actually know little about, they may fail to ace that class and their life will just be worse.

2) What they want

People have this common characteristic to just hate to do what they hate. They show reluctance in trying to do what they are forced to do making them not give their best shot thus not doing a good job. I myself was an example. If they were put in a place where they do not want to learn, it doesn't matter how knowledgeable the student is in that particular subject but if they go to that subject they dislike so much then they are just going to have low spirits during that time. This way, it may end in conflict between teacher and student or guardians. This is, i'm telling you, not a good world to live in.

3) Jack of all trades, master of none

Yep. You saw the title. That is what a student becomes when he/she cheats and goes to a random subject they know nothing of. Yes they know things but there is is some space to improve. Having a major not in that subject is no help improving that person's skill of the absent subject. They may go to the subject they need but it is only chance.
......
In the end, if this is so bad, there has to be another way so here come the...

Other things to do:
If it is the STUDENTS major, why are WE giving them their stuff. Why not we just make recommendations only based on their exam results and let them pick what they want to learn. The subject they pick would usually be a hobby or something to pursue their ambitions. Let them pick what they want and just do our part. It's better that way.

With that, I would like to close. Don't forget, 2nd round is arguments and last round is rebutals. Thank you again for accepting this debate and good luck. :)
Hamza_mazin

Pro

Thanks for the good opportunity to debate this important topic.

1- The number of seats for each major are limited, and the competition is strong since there are certain majors that are commonly proffered by students because they provide more working opportunities and have higher future incomes; so there has to be a fair method to decide who can get which major, and I will argue in the next points that standardized exams are the best way to do so.

2- Exams do not only test students' skills in the subject but also reflect the degree of hard work and dedication they have. Also exams test the student's critical thinking and problem solving skills, and all are essential for success in their future careers.

3- Ignoring exam results as a way to evaluate students will open the way to other insincere and unlawful methods like bribery, because the results of other methods like interviews can be easily manipulated, since there are no legal documents to prove students' eligibility.

4- Exam results can be adaptable in a way to provide maximum efficiency; for example: considering the results of science subjects only for scientific majors, and literacy for students who want to study literature.

5- disregarding exam grades will promote laziness and negligence amongst students, who will miss the valuable chance to learn various skills and general subjects before they get into certain specialty.

The academic route and postgraduate studies are not for everyone, and people can still be successful in life even if they do bad in exams, but for the sake of qualifying the students to study majors exams are the best way to do so. And we should focus on making exams more efficient and versatile (ex: having both theoretical and practical tests) instead of canceling the system altogether.
NDECD1441

Con

Nice points there. I will point out the flaws of them

Overall, you based your points mainly on laziness, bribery, and reflection of hard work they have.

Before I rebut them, I will like to clarify myself as you seem to have misunderstood me. I am not saying exams should be ignored or are unimportant but they should not be used for giving majors. My school gives assignments and coursework for 70% of our marks as those cannot be cheated.

For laziness, exams are not the only way to give majors. My example above suits as an alternative for the motion. That 30% of marks will, if failed by the exam, only give them a B. That is only a narrow pass. Coursework does not promote laziness as that usually racks your brain. With this system, they will be, (if they do) lazy for only the minority of the time in school. Ignoring exams is not my case. It is not using them as key definitions to a student's talents.

Number 2. Reflecting on hard work and studies. Again, exams can be cheated on and when succeeded, the only hard work they reflect on is the planning on how to get the answers and write them somewhere the teacher won't see. Again, my assignment alternative solves the problem. Course works are completely cheat-proof and, this way, requires hard work and at the same time teaches the students' critical thinking and about the topic.

Number 3. Bribery.

That one word sums up this whole paragraph eh? Here is what is wrong with your point. Basically, we all know humans are greedy and can accept a bribe at the right amount. I am going to reveal what is wrong with it in 3 of the following sentences. In my class, at the end of every exam, we compare each other's papers. Evidently the students will see the same answer to the same question with different marks and will get suspicious so that student will go to report this to someone and the teacher and student will be in trouble. Last sentence: If they don't compare their papers and go through all that chaos, they might get sent to the wrong major and they will be miserable until graduation.

Ok. Challenge finished. Let's con's case.

My main points are:
Cheating, getting the wrong major and alternatives

My rebutals are based on:
Alternatives, getting the wrong major

So if you fit this altogether you get me destroying his points before he even launched them.

Overall, we shouldn't streamline students based on exam results and since I have proven that criteria, I urge a con vote.
Hamza_mazin

Pro

If my opponent wants to argue that exams should not be ignored completely but should be given less importance than other things like course works, then I want to argue for the opposite that exams should be given the major importance with assignments and course works given a smaller share of the whole evaluation.

1- Cheating in exams is possible but easier to control and prove.
My opponent has based his arguments mainly on cheating and the possible alternatives to exams, and my response to that is that cheating is possible in those alternative methods like assignments and coursework (ex: another person may do the assignment for them), it is much easier to control and to prevent cheating in exams, and it is easier to confirm cheating should it happen. So we ought to concentrate on standardizing the exam conditions and to supervise the students strictly and cheating would become negligible if not completely abolished.

Assignments and homework are good methods to help students understand the subject and learn how to look up information, but at the end of the day you need to test if the student had understood the subjects and accomplished the required goals, and this is best achieved by a unified exam. And as I mentioned above exams can come in various forms; practical, theoretical, open book ,etc. Each can test a different a skill a student needs to acquire.

2- We should not ignore students' preferences completely, but each student should register their choices and students with higher grades should have the priority in choosing the majors.

3- It seems that my opponent has based his views to exams on a bad experience in his school (ex: the abundant cheating and the unfairness by the teachers), but I do not think this is representative of all schools, and if reflects anything it reflects bad management in this particular school.

Finally if find my opponent's statement "So if you fit this altogether you get me destroying his points before he even launched them" equally arrogant to students who say "Exams cannot test my true abilities" without them showing any signs of special abilities or talents!
Posted by NDECD1441 9 months ago
NDECD1441
For your "choosing the majors" point, that was basically my point when i said the exams should just be recommendations but students pick.
Posted by NDECD1441 9 months ago
NDECD1441
Ok. Based on the motion, it wants to give students "majors" to study on based on exam results. I am against it.
Posted by sboss18 9 months ago
sboss18
Explain what you mean by "streamline students."