Bobbyli1014
Range

Should we terraform Mars?

Range

Bobbyli1014

Pro

people think we shouldn't go to mars but i think yes
Range

Con

People think that we shouldn't go to Mars? That does make my job here a bit easier. I accept.
Bobbyli1014

Pro

we should go to mars in case of an emergency. what if a virus strikes? what if we run out of food? we should go to mars for the advantages! more space, resources, and most of all, so many possibilities!
Range

Con

BoP is on pro's side, and this will be (it might already be) his downfall. I feel as if this will end up being carried through to the last round on my side, and that it'll be a strong reason for some RFDs.
I'll assume these are your main points of argument, since it's just logical that the first thing you post should be your case. Even if it is a case without warrants, evidence, links, or even explanations as to what you mean. And there was also no framework presented by pro, so we'll be operating under my cheery one: BoP lies with the side that has to prove that all this stuff is actually possible, which is exactly *not* my side.

1. Emergency
a. virus
b. food

2. Advantages
a. space
b. resources
c. "possibilities"

Emergency

Prove to me that there will be an emergency. Prove to me that there will be an event so catastrophic that we will have to evacuate the world. When you're done with that, move on to proving that humans will not be able to do it using the resources that are readily available today.
Mars One, our faintest hope at even settling, forget terraforming Mars, is set to launch in 2024, so knowing this, prove to me that this supposed calamity will not strike us before we all get supposedly red-zoned so badly we'll want to jump onto one-way-flight shuttles, but may that be after you convince me that they will even make it, or more importantly, that the fragile, puny humans inside of them will last through the trip, which, by the way, according to NASA, can not be any longer that 500 days without the life capacity of those humans becoming as fleeting as their past lives on the Blue Planet.
But by all means, let's talk about the even less probable disasters that could maybe perhaps possibly kinda come into our lives. Virus. A virus. One. Only one little organism that we can not only quarantine but wipe out much more easily than arranging space flights for what will be 8 billion people.
Second, food. If my last sentence is still churning in anyone's residual memory, then they skip over the next one, where I replace the concept of "virus" with "lack of food." Only a temporary shortage that we can not only gain back through the millions of people feeling the responsibility, but change much more easily than arranging space flights for what will be 8 billion people.

Advantages

More space is exactly what we have on the Moon. I really didn't want to have it come to a dispute over alternatives, but since I'm pretty sure now that it'll go through unrefuted, that won't be much of a problem. We not only have plans for mars, but we also have far more stable and resourceful plans for a Moon base! Would you look at that! More space that's accessible and more cost efficient, especially once we get that space elevator up and running! Consider my love for alternatives-type arguments rekindled.
I won't even begin to research what kind of resources we're going to get from Mars because they are going to be so insignificant that I'll be wasting my time. Why am I confident making this conclusion based on research I don't even have? Because I know about this huge little thing called asteroids. They're a cute wittle thing, and they're known to be packed stock full of everything we need to create another Manhattan from scratch. Adorable. I invite my opponent to read articles about them as I did on this one really long train ride I had to take.
Lastly, possibilities. Slightly less appealing visually, but I, as my opponent, do enjoy them as well. I like to keep mine a bit more down-to-Earth, however, or at the very least, reasonable.
What I know about possibilities is that they have to be possible. As much as I hate to carry this kind of tone, it's really helping me out here. In order for something to be a possibility, it has to be possible, which connects allll the way back to my first argument about my opponent's huge BoP. Prove to me that your possibilities are in fact possibilities and not mayb-ilities or perhaps-ilities, and then I'll acknowledge them as a legit argument.

I invite my opponent to flip a 180 and turn this into a philosophical debate where we talk about what we FEEL about terraforming Mars, but unfortunately my arguments here will carry through to the RFDs we'll receive, so do respond, or rather, write a rebuttal first, and then maybe perhaps we'll kinda possibly do that. If we FEEL like it.
Bobbyli1014

Pro

Bobbyli1014 forfeited this round.
Range

Con

My position is simply that if we have no apparent reason to necessitate terraforming Mars, then there is no reason to use our resources, and it will be a huge amount, obviously.
I do not have to provide any more reasons why not to, and I refute my opponent's squalid reasoning.
Thus, this debate is so far in my favor.
Bobbyli1014

Pro

Bobbyli1014 forfeited this round.
Range

Con

Do the extenderino
Bobbyli1014

Pro

Bobbyli1014 forfeited this round.
Posted by Idiosyncratic 2 years ago
Idiosyncratic
Why not just go to the moon? I can see people living on the moon, but I really don't think it is possible to "terraform". The only reason I can think of for going to mars would be to mine it for its resources. No environment to destroy there, so might as well use its great supply of resources and minerals. We will need all that stuff for when we build huge space vessels in the future.
Posted by ciel 2 years ago
ciel
I am torn on this issue. Do I think that we SHOULD terraform Mars? Maybe. If it will not result in the deaths of humans who are going there. Do I think that we will be able to terraform Mars in the near future (the next few hundred/thousand years)? Probably not.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
Other than Elton John who say "we shouldn't go to Mars"?
Posted by Idiosyncratic 2 years ago
Idiosyncratic
I wasn't aware we had the tech to terraform in the first place...
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
Bobbyli1014RangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Bobbyli1014RangeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture