Should we use Nuclear Weapons?

Hello, first I would like to say that this is my first debate, and I hope this will be very enjoyable!
secondly, I would like to thank my opponent (whoever he may be) for debating with me and I hope we both do very well!

now lets begin.....

Nuclear weapons are explosive devices that get their destructive force from nuclear reactions. They are know for their explosive power and devastation
they are also know for the mass amount of lives they take.

The first nuclear weapon used was on Hiroshima during the end of WW2.
when drop, approximately.......

90,000-160,000 people were killed instantly.
20,000-30,000 people were killed in a 4 month period after the bomb from radiation.

a total of at most 190,000 people were killed!

Later, another nuclear bomb was dropped on a city named Nagasaki.

60,000-80,000 people were killed instantly.
10,000-20,000 people were killed in a 4 month period after the bomb from radiation.

A total of at most 100,000 people died at Nagasaki.

The death toll of both bombs together is at most.......

Since then, Nuclear weapons have been getting even more destructive!
The most powerful nuclear weapon; The Tsar Bomb; can destroy an area BIGGER THEN THE MODERN DAY CITY OF PARIS!

Weapons such as these have no purpose but to kill people and destroy everything in its blast radius.

If there is ever a time when we are in a problem, we have many non-nuclear ways of solving it.

Using nuclear weapons will only do more harm then good!

I would like to thank my opponent for giving me this chance to debate.

My opponant says that the U.S. should not use nuclear weapons, and I say we should and I will do my best to prove that I am right.

My opponent's intire argument is based on the fact that they kill a lot of people, and destroy lots of buildings.

contention 1: Nuclear Weapons even though highly destructive are much better then a large scale war. Ever since ther developement they have successfully averted a third world war. During the Cold War and even now every country in the world that has nuclear weapons are afraid to use them since they saw what happen to Japan during World War Two. There has not been a third world war thanks to the use of nuclear weapons.

Contention 2: Nuclear weapons as destructive as they are, do not cause as much death and destruction as the small arms that are commen today. One such example of this is the AK-47, which has killed more people tthen anyother gun. It kills a quarter million people each year, and has even been dubed 'the real weapon of mass destruction.'[1] Therefore, if anything we should regulate the ammount of small arms in the world rather then get rid of our last line of defense.

Contention 3: Everyother superpower has nuclear weapons also, so if we were to say openly that we would not use nuclear weapons then all our enemies would launch their's at us and the U.S. would cease to exist.

In conclusion,

The very fear of nuclear weapons prevents a third world war.

Nuclear weapons do not cause as much death and destruction as the small arms we see everyday.

If we get rid of our nukes then our enemies would blow us of the face of the earth and we could not do a single thing about it.

The U.S. should keep and if necesary use nuclear weapons.

Vote Pro!

Goldmarker forfeited this round.

Deathbeforedishonour forfeited this round.

Goldmarker forfeited this round.

Well this was a diapointment. I thought this would be a interesting debate and it looks like I was wrong.

Obviously vote Pro.
Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 5 years ago
We don't want to do that, but the fact is the Middle Eastern countries hate America and our ally Israel they have for years. Iran is trying to get nukes of their own and all the islamic countries are supporting the palistians who are launching rockets, morters ans shells into Israel. This whole thing would stop if the Islamic countries of the Middle East would stop trying to pick a fight!
Posted by i8JoMomma 5 years ago
yes...... level the whole middle east and take all the oil....kill em all .....let god sort em out
ok thanks (:
Posted by Goldmarker 5 years ago
i was editing the title to say "Should the USA use nuclear weapons"
but as i was editing, you entered the debate and i was unable to edit it.
so yes, as in "we", i mean the USA.
by we do u mean the U.S.?
Vote Placed by petersaysstuff 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I voted Pro (although I didn't want to) because Con forfeited and didn't respond to any arguments. Also, a critique for Con USE PROLIF AS AN ARGUMENT! Turn the whole "averted war" around. But alas I must say, good job Pro.