jgmckill
FizzyBits

Should white people be allowed to have their own sports leagues?

jgmckill

Pro

I don't mean it in a malicious way but I really feel that sometimes most white athletes can't compete with the athletically superior blacks. I mean we take measures to academically represent Blacks and other groups in this country so maybe we should at least reserve a more proportionate number of positions for Whites, Asians and other underrepresented groups in sports. What about women, if they can get their own league is it much of a stretch for white people to as well?
Example- The NBA was in 2011-2012 18% White, 77% African American, 3% Hispanic, 1% Asian, 1% other while the U.S. is 63% White, 13.1% African American, 16.9% Hispanic, 5.1% Asian, and 1.9% other.
FizzyBits

Con

Of course white people should not have their own sports leagues. This isn't the olden days. Today we live in a society where we are all equal, regardless of sex or race. This is why the civil rights movement happened in the first place. All people are equal and all races should be able to compete in professional sports.
jgmckill

Pro

Maybe you are right but shouldn't there be some sort of affirmative action so that less represented groups can be represented more? Some minorities have been poorly represented in certain professions, and educational institutions etc. so we compensated with affirmative action so they would be included. If it is okay to require a quota in universities why not in sports leagues?
FizzyBits

Con

Let's be honest, if we made a white's only sports league, there would be riots. I mean what if the Olympics were only white people, or only black people. If we are all equal in this world, then anybody should be able to compete in sports leagues, regardless of race. I mean most race's are better at some sports because of their culture, not biological difference. People in South America are good at soccer because it's what they grow up with, not because of their race. We are all equal. Some people being better at sports is a matter of practice and physical ability, not race.
jgmckill

Pro

You didn't address my argument on whether there should be quotas (affirmative action) like in universities, and government jobs etc. However you stated "most race's are better at some sports because of their culture, not biological difference" but some have clear advantages based on the average height, strength etc. For example an African Pygmy with an average height of 4.64 ft is likely to be biologically less apt at basketball than say a member of a Sudanese tribe with an average height of 6.3 ft maybe this is extreme but different racial, and ethnic groups do tend to have general differences if not innate differences that aid them in sports. Perhaps this example is extreme but how would a team of pygmies fair against a team of the Sudanese tribe? I think you know and I don't think it is a problem if one racial, ethnic group, etc. wants to compete in sports independently of others. The hypothetical pygmies should be allowed to have their own league (if they wanted) to feel competitive. Like it or not no one is truly equal in every aspect, we are all individuals with different biological attributes that are more common in certain racial, and ethnic groups. To be competitive some groups might need to form their own leagues filled with their peers. ( I don't know why but it really bothers me when I see a soccer, or rugby team or whatever from a country that is mostly white and it is mostly black. I have a hard time believing some racial, or ethnic groups are not better than others at some sports like Africans, Polynesians, etc. in Australian rugby leagues. Its not that Aussies don't like rugby but most of them are at a biological disadvantage compared to Africans, Polynesians, and Melanesians. Maybe there should be both segregated and integrated leagues)
FizzyBits

Con

FizzyBits forfeited this round.
Posted by Finalfan 2 years ago
Finalfan
It was very racist but also innocuous. I can see what he is saying. He was not implying a back of the bus regime. In fact he was almost bowing down in admiration!
Posted by redly333 2 years ago
redly333
This is the most ridiculous & racist thing I ever heard. (no racist intent understood) But it sounds like those other guys are better than us then we are going to take our ball & go home. Get over it & join us in the 21st century.
Posted by Arob324 2 years ago
Arob324
Pro is basically supporting segregation
Posted by MUSA 2 years ago
MUSA
Well, maybe someone with some investment capital should answer. Since money rules the world. Would anyone care enough to watch. Just like Roman gladiators were used to keep people focused on something else other than what the emperor was doing to the people. That's what sports are today, nothing more. They are physically superior, but not necessarily intellectually . That's why some black kids in college are allowed to read "Green eggs and Ham" by Dr. Seuss for a reading requirement. The smartest black person is one who maybe dumb, but marries a smart white person without their physical abilities. Genetics is everything when it comes to physical abilities. However, how many Hockey players are black ? What about Hispanics starting to dominate baseball ? Everyone should be on the same playing field.
Posted by LittleBallofHATE 2 years ago
LittleBallofHATE
Blacks are not better athletes. They may excel at some sports, especially at distance running, but they can't swim. They would also fair poorly against Asians in sports that require agility and quickness. They are not inherently better. Just different.
Posted by tswizzle36 2 years ago
tswizzle36
This is actually logical and not a racist debate if the pro aims her contentions right. other races are know to have biological differences (I've heard something about their heal bone and other things) that make them literally born different and if we split the races it would be good for us all, because the competition would be more equal. But in this case I feel like the harms outweigh the benefits. Con could say segregation is never good and if we tried to put this into action we would be braking laws and undermining equality in itself. It's interesting to think about though.. NO ONE FORFEIT I WANNA STAY TUNED WITH THIS DEBATE:)