MWonderWolf
SJM

Should wolves be feared, or are they just as scared of us as we are of them?

MWonderWolf

Pro

I am pro, so I will be arguing that wolves are not scary. I am for wolves. First round is JUST FOR ACCEPTANCE! Please do not accept if you do not take this seriously. So, if you accept, your first round argument should just be something like, "I accept". It is under the tab 'education' because this will test how much education you have had on real wolves, and not the big bad wolf, which isn't real. Thank you for debating.
SJM

Con

I accept. Also just an observation, wolves do not only have to be scary in the POV of humans.
MWonderWolf

Pro

Wow, that was fast. Wolves have been misunderstood for centuries. They are not the nightmarish beasts in the fairy tales. Some people think that wolves are ecological angels, and some think that wolves are ecological gangsters that do nothing but kill. In reality, however, wolves are neither. They are simply other wild creatures with whom we share this planet, similar to bears and cougars and coyotes.*

My questions for you:
What is a POV?
Why do you think wolves are bad?

*Mission: Wolf Rescue, by Kitson Jazynka with National Geographic explorer Daniel Raven-Ellison
SJM

Con

Definitions: Scary- causing fear

Firstly, my opponent starts off by giving background about how wolves were misunderstood for centuries and are not the nightmarish beasts seen in fairy tales, even though that is correct, that does not mean they still can't be scary. Wolves are, as my opponent correctly says, wild animals. Thus meaning that they are uncultivated and not disciplined. Such animals that have the abilities to kill humans and other animals, and is not disciplined in how to act in non hostile ways. And people are scared about things that cause them danger. There are people that are scared of bears, cougars, and coyotes because they are dangerous animals as well.
Answers:
- Perspective
- Reasons I have said and am about to give.

"After reviewing evidence, which included wolf tracks left around the body, the finding of a coroner's inquest was that Carnegie had been killed by northern timber wolves."

Sources- https://en.wikipedia.org...
MWonderWolf

Pro

http://www.dictionary.com... They have the ABILITY to, but do they often exercise this ability? No. Like your source says, the wolves had been feeding at a garbage dump, causing loss of fear of us. Furthermore, he had seen the pups just earlier. Wolves have an AMAZING sense of smell, and the adults probably smelled the human on the pups, and decided, to protect their young, to kill the guy. That also is the ONLY known case of humans being killed by healthy wolves in the wild in North America. In the Old World, there are more, but they are still very infrequent. "The wolf is neither man's competitor nor his enemy. He is a fellow creature with whom the earth must be shared." -Dr. L. David Mech, wolf biologist. We kill about ten times more of them then they do of us. If one creature should be feared, it's us. Not wolves, us. What did the wolves ever do. Those spine-tingling howls, which light up the night, sparked the ideas for many stories we hear today. They aren't true.
SJM

Con

Yes they do have the ability to and they are uncultivated, for example when people walk home at night in the dark and there is a man following them, they still haven't committed the act but people are still scared because they have the ability to. And what you essentially say next is that the wolves wanted to protect their pups from the men who wasn't there, but had his scent on them? That sounds like something very vicious and dangerous that provokes fear in humans who are worried about being killed, because humans will be worried about leaving their scent everywhere. Also, I couldn't find the part where he had left his scent on pups so I would like my opponent to provide that.
My opponent says that wolves aren't our competitors, of course they are, as long as we have scarce resources on this earth. Every living things competes for food.

My point is that they are wild dangerous animals that from history we know that they have shown their deadliness to humans as well to other animals.
MWonderWolf

Pro

I'm trying to hold in my laughter right now :-) That's true. But then again, why would someone walk back to their house alone at night? I'm guessing that you are relating that to a hike in the woods alone, however, so I will use that. Rule number one for a good hike: DO NOT TAKE IT ALONE! Because of the wild animals. Wolves care about their pups at least as much as a human mother cares about hers. Think if humans had amazing sense of smell, and a mother had a kid which she had left home while going out. When she comes back, she detects the scesnt of an unknown wild animal on it. Concerned for her babies, she tries to find it. She finds that it poses a threat, and attacks. I can't find the part again, but I clearly remember reading it. Don't criticize me for that quote. L. David Mech said it. And how often do we eat elk and deer? Not very often. So they are not a huge competitor for food. HISTORY!? History never said anything bad about wolves, but false tales did. Those are false.
SJM

Con

Why are you holding in your laughter first off, and from what?

And I'm trying to not to be mean when I say you totally just proved my point. People shouldn't take hikes alone because wolves are wild animals, meaning they are dangerous. Even if hikers are stupid for taking hikes alone, which I'm not saying they are, that does not mean that wolves aren't something to be afraid of. And again even if you question why someone would walk home alone at night, that doesn't remove from that fact that they fear getting mugged or something. The definition of scary is not "causing fear unless they have made dumb decisions".

Then she says to not criticize for that quote, but I have to because she used it to back up her side of the argument and it's my job to take it down. Also, she said they aren't competitors because we kill a lot more of them, but that doesn't remove them from that category.

Lastly, it is history, the example I just showed you and you said "In the Old World, there are more"
MWonderWolf

Pro

Answers in order: from your thinking that wolf killings are from history. Open any history book. They will say, if they even mention wolves, that terrible, false stories were made from them. All wild animals can be dangerous if provoked. Wolves, like some others, are shy, and won't attack if your on a trail, unless your near the den site during spring. And wild animals don't like to raise young near human places. THANK YOU FOR CALLING ME A SHE! Everyone else whom I've debated with first calls me a he. Or did I tell you I was a she? No, I don't think I did. I also said that they eat deer/elk, and how much deer and elk are in a typical human's diet? Not much. Old World is a term for all of Europe, Asia, and Africa. The Americas are the New World. This round is also the last (obviously). No new arguments, only rebuttals and last remarks. Thanks for debating! I always like debating my favorite subject! (That was not sarcasm, BTW.)
SJM

Con

Yes, some absurd stories are made up about wolves, but that doesn't remove from the fact that they are dangerous animals. These animals weren't even provoked and they killed the man in the article. And even so, it is justified to be afraid of them because people are scared to provoke them. People are afraid of committing acts in which they will get killed by wolves. Also, when people or wolves are starving, they will fight for food meaning they are competitors because they have scarce resources, which is applied to life right now. And the old and new world are part of history, so the parts about this is a part of history was said because it had happened on the earth,

Also yes, I made sure to call people the right pronoun after an encounter with another woman who called me out on it, which I corrected after I realized I was doing it unconsciously. :)

And lastly thanks to my opponent for this debate, and also to the voter, and anyone who is just watching.
Posted by whiteflame 7 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: Ubermensch-Tsoa// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Con (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Wolves are in fact scary due to their unpredictable nature, possibility to cause harm, and mere presence. Being an investigator for injuries, most injuries occur because people do not respect the inherit danger with what they're dealing with and become complacent. Fearing something doesn't mean it's bad at pro tried to correlate. People fear spiders, but are they "bad"? Of course not.

[*Reason for removal*] The voter appears to use their RFD as a means to present their own views on the topic without actually assessing specific points made in the debate. There is some analysis of Pro's argument, but the voter is required to explain how Con's response was sufficient to negate it, not why their views of the topic have led them to disagree with Pro's argument.
************************************************************************
Posted by SJM 8 months ago
SJM
Just saying I don't have an opinion on this, I just argue whatever I can.
Posted by MWonderWolf 8 months ago
MWonderWolf
Oh, ok. Thank you for debating!
Posted by SJM 8 months ago
SJM
And my second paragraph means that I was debating another female, and I called her a he on accident, and she called me out on it, so I made sure I always said she.
Posted by SJM 8 months ago
SJM
Im talking about the guy, but he doesn't need one to be proven guilty.
Posted by MWonderWolf 8 months ago
MWonderWolf
I've never seen a wild wolf. But wolves obviously don't have Supreme Court or anything like that.
Posted by SJM 8 months ago
SJM
You are a wolf mind reader?
Posted by MWonderWolf 8 months ago
MWonderWolf
Duh
Posted by MWonderWolf 8 months ago
MWonderWolf
Wolves don't think that way.
Posted by SJM 8 months ago
SJM
The guy is innocent til proven guilty that he was provoking the wolves.