Sniper1576
Bogcha

Should women be allowed in combat?

Sniper1576

Pro

Women should be allowed in combat. Women are criticized because they are women. Just because someone is a girl, doesn't mean that they can"t do what men can. Women can fight, shoot a gun, learn tactics and strategies. Women have been a valuable asset to the Military, in wars, throughout history! Women have been in combat throughout history, so women should be allowed in nowadays combat. Women have, throughout history, fought in war, helped in war. Women have been POWs, leaders, fired lethal weapons, and such. If women can do all those things and more, why aren't they allowed in combat? If women have fought in the Revolutionary War and aided soldiers in war, why aren't women allowed in combat?A retired air force personnel, Brig Gen. Wilma Vaught, agreed that women should be allowed in combat and gave many reasons. She said this:
"Women have always fought and died in American wars. They've lead men in battle, been POWs, fired lethal weapons, and operated our most sophisticated systems. They fly combat aircraft and serve on combat ships. Women meet the physical and mental standards, are technically proficient, and are highly trained war leaders! In today"s all-volunteer force, women have accepted the challenges, responsibilities, and dangers of military service, just as men have. With today"s battlefield and the war on terror, there are no front lines and every unit, regardless of size or mission, has the potential to engage the enemy. "
At the beginning of our country, during the Revolutionary War, women fought. Women disguised themselves as men to fight. Anna Maria Lane is one woman who shows this. Anna, after her husband was killed, fought and helped the men. Her and many other women fought.
Bogcha

Con

I believe that women should not be involved in wars/combats. Just starting off i would add that the more diversity there is in the military (both sexes) will affect the performance of the group/platoon as a whole. What would you think will happen if feelings will start to develop between 2 individuals of different genders where one will care more for the other and leave behind the group in order to protect the "mate". I will give you an example to summarize:

Wurst (the protagonist) an eager 22 yr old young man from germany enrolls into the army to serve during the WWII. An outstanding individual, performing above expectations, meeting every objectives on point slowly climbs himself to the rank of Colonel. During his battles and marches across Europe, he comes across a devastated German platoon formed of remaining 10 individuals. Among them a young soldier (girl) called Katze was injured. Wurst seeing her immediately took action and directed medics into containing her wounds and to be cared for. Months pass and she joins Wurst on his battles, the both of them getting closer and closer. One night however, the newly formed platoon was ambushed by a raid of Russians. In the event, Katze was kidnapped, this drove Wurst mad who organized his platoon to go and rescue her. In this attempt they were all eradicated, Wurst being the last one to fall, hand in hand with Katze.

If you have been reading along you can see what this drives to. I made it a story, but it does not mean it can be like that. In situations such as this where death is imminent and at every corner, having emotional feelings only create backlashes. Most of the wars were won due to the soldier not having anything to return home to (their families were slaughtered). If i have not proven my point yet i won't mind continuing in the next rounds.

:)
Sniper1576

Pro

You have a good point. But, sometimes, in situations, when the soldiers have something to come back to or fight for, they tend to fight more willingly and strongly. My uncle, for instance. He is in the National Guard and, a few years back, was sent to Afghanistan to keep peace at a border. He was in a place where he could get into combat. But... He had a wife, son, sisters, neices, and nephews to come back to. He is alive, but has PTSD.
Women can do things men can. I am only 13, but know how to shoot a rifle, and will learn to shoot a pistol... I am girl. My mom knows how to shoot a pistol, my aunt does, as well... So does my grandmother. I know some military tactics and stratigies, and can see what went wrong in a battle easily.
Women have helped the Military all through out history, as nurses, and sometimes in battle. I'm gonna go back to Anna Maria Lane. She was a woman whose husband was killed in the Revolutionary War. She took up arms. She helped the soldiers fight, by helping with the cannons. As well, many women dressed as men to fight. I will gice two senarios:

You are a male soldier, and no one in your platoon knows how to use medical equipment. Your shoulder was shot and your radio was damaged in the ambush. In this time, only females know how to use medical equipment, but, there is no female there and all your commrades are either dead or a POW. You lie there, bleeding. What do you think of? What's your last thought? You lie there, then die a few moments later.

Here is the alternative to having a female:

You are a male soldier, and no male in your platoon knows how to use medical equipment. Your shoulder was shot and your radio was damaged in the ambush. In this time, only females know how to use medical equipment. Lucky for you, there is a trained female in your platoon, one that escaped being injured or taken as a POW.
"Help! Medical!" You call out weakly, hoping she can hear you. She runs over, seeing you, bleeding out.
"Don't worry!" She yells quietly as she rips a peice of her uniform off, big enough to be a sling. She quickly ties it around your shoulder and puts pressure on it. She then pulls you to cover and uses her radio to call an evac.
Bogcha

Con

It's a good thing that you see the purpose of the my example.

Now i do not condone in any way the complete removal of women from the military, i am only stating that women being part of the battle (soldier) is not a very good position. I agree that there is something special about a woman's touch when she is there above your wounded body, as a nurse, caring and giving you nurture (something that i won't like from a man).

A woman being able to shoot and handle a gun is also a plus. It can be seen as a self-defense stand.
A woman being there shooting at other soldiers (kill or be killed) will not and should not be part of the mentality (brutal/testosterone driven will). Men are more prone to these types of violent behaviors due to their internal hormonal drive. I mean, most of today's peace and free will rally are driven by women. They are the peace keepers of this society. Involving them into this type of behavior (soldier mentality) will only eliminate potential anti war rallys that can save millions. (it takes one leader to start a rally, if that leader is in the military that rally won't be taking place)

Hope you see my point.
Sniper1576

Pro

I can see your point, and, I do agree that is a benifit to having the "woman's touch." But, also, there are woman (such as myself) who want to be a soldier. Some females are proned to danger and/or killing, or gory, stuff. Such as myself, I am able to handle blood. I am simply stating that only women who are proned to the dangers and responsibilities of Military and combat should be allowed in combat. I am a christian, just to put that out there, and... Well, God gave us guns for a reason. Maybe to protect ourselves from tyrany... But, He gave women that right, as well. Today, there is no peace. ISSIS took that away. But, there is always hope. Right now, we need more people to help support the Military and police forces. Women are included.

Now, I know that my argument is getting weaker each round, but, hopefully you can see my point of view of things, just as I see yours.

:)
Bogcha

Con

I do see your points also. I will just like to add that judging things and having a vision from a chair in a safe home is different than in a tent at 3 am. trying to sleep among wounded and moaning (in pain) men!

Thank you for the debate :)
Posted by Russia_The_almighty 1 year ago
Russia_The_almighty
RFD continued
Sources: neither used sources.
Russia_The_almighty
RFD:
Conduct: (tied) No forfeits and both sides were respectful.
S&G: (tied) Both had only a few S&G errors and both had about the same.
Arguments: I believe Pro won this for a number if reasons although both of them were very good. Initially pro's arguments showing that women could fire guns and such, but then con seemed to be winning by providing an example showing that a women can cause the devastation of soldiers. However once pro pointed out that without women in a platoon to aid the men after being ambushed they likely would be killed. Besides that pro also showed how women could also learn tactics and such.