klutzy_dust
William.Burnham

Should women be allowed in the US special forces?

klutzy_dust

Pro

I know things like this can be very sensitive issues, but I wanted to see what anyone else thinks. I believe that anyone that is able to attain the high standards of the elite units should be allowed in.
I read on a debate on Fox News Insider (read here: http://insider.foxnews.com...) that a good majority of people believe that the pentagon will lower standards if women are allowed in. Although this is already the case for many fields in the military, let me remind you all that this is also the same logic that people tried to use to keep women out of the workforce altogether. I will admit that women have some obviously different physical problems than men (eg, menstruation), but that all goes back to my original statement: anyone who can meet the standards should be allowed in.
Moreover, as stated by Amber Smith in the video, "mission success should always go above gender success". She also said that the women in the military very quickly begin to feel just like "one of the guys"; that "women don't need or want special treatment".
What's your thoughts?
William.Burnham

Con

Hello, I would like to thank my opponent for posing this question, and our readers for taking the time to . It's a debate currently raging in military circles, and one that I, as a military woman, am deeply invested in. My personal views on the topic should be clear, still, I have no problem taking the Con side of this debate. At the very least it gives me some practice.

The simple fact of the matter is that women ARE held to a lower standard. The chart below will illustrate my point:

click="document.location='/William.Burnham/photos/album/2403/16821/'" src="../../../photos/albums/1/3/2403/56690-2403-ra8yr-a.jpg" alt="" />

As you can see, women are only expected to do 43.5% the pushups that men are required to do. And it’s even possible to WALK 2 miles in 20 minutes. Women just have different skeletal structures, and less muscle mass than men do (on average) due to differences in hormones. In addition, that female skeletal structure is less robust, and prone to injuries associated with stress fractures.

According to The Washington Post, the US Marines recently conducted a test with integrated units competing against all-male units. Following the evaluation, the gender-integrated unit’s assessment found that “40.5 percent of women participating suffered some form of musculoskeletal injury, while 18.8 percent of men did. Twenty-one women lost time in the unit due to injuries, 19 of whom suffered injuries to their lower extremities.

Of those, 16 women were injured while carrying heavy loads in an organized movement, like a march, the study found.” In addition to the Marine Corps evaluation, the US Army released data this year that showed that women in certain combat support MOS’s, nearest to Combat Arms troops, suffered more than double (113 percent) the injuries of men.

Constant injuries will not only stretch the already strained VA and DoD budgets but affect troop readiness. In an interview with The Washington Times, Center For Military Readiness head Elaine Donnelly stated that “Double risks of injury among women, combined with expected absences due to pregnancy and other gender-related issues, would be even more problematic in small combat units with four to 12 members, such as M1 tank crews, infantry rifle squads, or cannon artillery gun crews,” she said. “The absence of female team members would compromise missions and put everyone’s lives at greater risk.”

I believe these reasons alone are enough to demonstrate my point. It’s just not healthy for women to subject themselves to such a strenuous environment, nor is it safe for their male counterparts if women are not able to match their physical standards without getting seriously hurt in the process, thus slowing down the unit and depriving it of warfighting assets.

klutzy_dust

Pro

klutzy_dust forfeited this round.
William.Burnham

Con

I'll let Pro pick it up in the next round.
klutzy_dust

Pro

klutzy_dust forfeited this round.
William.Burnham

Con

Since Pro has forfeited the last two rounds, I'll just use this time to sum up my conclusions.

As you can see, women are held to lower physical standards. Soldiers aged 17-21 years are only expected to do 45% the total pushups of their male counterparts, while females aged 27-31 years are only required to do 43%. I will reiterate that multiple studies conducted by the military also confirm that female soldiers suffer from injuries at a much higher rate than males do, overburdening the military healthcare system and pulling critical manpower away from warfighting units.

I haven't even touched the issue of what would happen to female soldiers captured or killed on the battlefield. While I'm sure every soldier, regardless of gender, knows the risks involved with fighting in a war, is America really ready to see the corpses of American mothers hung from the bridges of Iraq or Afghanistan?

Due to Pro's foreitures and lack of argumemnts, I'll ask that you vote for Con on this debate.

Thankyou.
Posted by William.Burnham 1 year ago
William.Burnham
Why did the debate title change? It would have been nice for that to have been resolved BEFORE I started my first round.
Posted by William.Burnham 1 year ago
William.Burnham
It looks like Debate.org has a glitch with the photos or something. I'll link the picture I posted here:
http://bootcamp4me.com...