kengibson2001
Ayal.Templer

Should women be allowed to have long hair in the military?

Con Tied Pro

kengibson2001

Con

My view is that women should not be allowed to have long hair in the military.

Argument one: Men are already not allowed to have long hair in the military for various discipline and hygiene issues. Therefore women should not be allowed either

Argument two: All soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines should be treated equally regardless of gender. The military should set the same standards on women as it does on men.

Argument 3: Since world war II the military has ended a lot of practices that were deemed in earlier times as justified. Like segegrated units, allowing women into the military not just as nurses.
Ayal.Templer

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent to for starting this interesting debate and look forward to this.

Seeing as your opening sentence states " my view"-- I am guessing that this debate is about our opinion.

Since you have not stated any nation in particular, I see that this debate will be about women not being allowed to have long hair in the armed forces around the world, in general.

"Argument one: Men are already not allowed to have long hair in the military for various discipline and hygiene issues. Therefore women should not be allowed either" My opponent is right in the fact that men are not allowed to have long hair in the Armed Forces, However, when it comes to the matter of women. My opponents argument saying that since men should have short hair,so should women is no the case. Proof of this is the Israeli Armed Forces. As you might be aware,when Israeli's turn 18, both men and women are called in to do the Military training. I spoke with an EX Israeli Air Force Female soldier and she states " Well, first of all as a former officer in the Israeli Air Force, there is no such demand to cut the hair, the demand is to keep it in a ponytail. There r some women that coose to cut their hair. For example, I did that while being at officer's academy, due to rough field conditions in which it was hard to maintain personal hygine, Here, women are first of all women and their faminine identity is taken into account. There is a certain code for military looks but it doesn't impose woman to cut the hair ".

"Argument two: All soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines should be treated equally regardless of gender. The military should set the same standards on women as it does on men."-- Unfortunately thats not the case, we can not treat women the same as men for in the Armed Forces. This is not a sexist comment. I strongly believe in Equal rights for women but not in roles. Women can have the same accommodations and training, but when it comes to duty men and women should not be treated the same as emotions and physically speaking, it will challenge women.. ( remember, i believe in Equal rights, what i right in my argument is after speaking with a couple of ex female soldiers, i have reached my opinion. ) This debate how ever is about Hair, the reason i have gone on about this is due to the fact my opponent speak of treating men and women the same in the military

"
Argument 3: Since world war II the military has ended a lot of practices that were deemed in earlier times as justified. Like segegrated units, allowing women into the military not just as nurses." I would like to ask my opponent to specify what the relevance between his/her argument to the debate topic that women should have short hair?

I myself have been a RAF cadet ( Royal Air Force). the requirments for a cadet in terms of appearance are the same as professional soldiers. Women had the choice to either cut the hair to have it up to the ears. or have it as a pony tail.

After speaking with an ex American female soldier which has done tours in Afghanistan, she states that they had the right to choose between a pony tail or cutting your hair.

Unfortunately the military doesn't care in what we think, they care in what they do, therefore I believe that this debate is a matter of what you thinkand what you wish to see changed.

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate and looking forward to your response
kengibson2001

Con

kengibson2001 forfeited this round.
Ayal.Templer

Pro

I stick with my previous arguments.

Although women should have equal rights as men, Women in the armed forces are offerend a choice to either excercise that right or to stay with a pony tail.

Seeing as my opponent hasnt replied, I stick with my opening argument.
kengibson2001

Con

kengibson2001 forfeited this round.
Ayal.Templer

Pro

My opponent has forfeited both rounds, showing a lack of compassion for his own debate

I strognly urge all to vpro
Vote Placed by jm_notguilty 5 years ago
jm_notguilty
kengibson2001Ayal.TemplerTied