Jason759
Kenmrry

Should women be grunts?

Jason759

Con

Women should be allowed to do what ever they are physically capable of so long as it does not hurt the mission. Women in combat fields is actually dangerous to mission success. Out of the 4 females to attempt the male combat officer course in the Marines have failed due to mental or physical means. If they lowered the standards, they in essence lower our military capabilities. Also, if we manage to create one unit of females, we can expect to see sexual misconduct increase. When people are subjected to the conditions grunts are during deployment, they become more aggressive. Now to stick females in the same conditions actually increases the chance of sexual misconduct. Also there is the likely hood that an injured female military member will actually drive a male to act on hormones rather than thinking something through. An example is if a Soldier is pinned down by enemy fire, you suppress the fire before getting the wounded soldier. If the soldier is female, there is an increased likely hood of some one trying to get her before fire is suppressed. This is being quoted from a grunt that has been in a similar situation.
Kenmrry

Pro

I will accept this debate as my first debate on this site. My Military experience and knowledge is limited. I will approach this debate from the opinion that women can and should do anything they set out to do. It is up to each person to achieve the highest accomplishment possible set out before them. When the challenge is new, or presents new challenges and dilemmas, each individual is responsible to overcome these in a new way. Men and Women alike face new challenges each day. These challenges may be new to the individual, to the sex, or new to mankind as a whole. We as humans will adapt and overcome.

You mentioned the "male combat officer course", and that a female has yet to pass. I am not one to lower standards of our military testing or training. I would whole heartedly agree that lowering our standards would in essence lower our military capabilities.
It is up to each female, (or male) to overcome the challenge before them. In this case it appears to me that women must find a new way.
Increased aggression was another argument against the female grunt. I agree that this is probably not a good thing. I do not believe that it is good for women or men. However since it seems to be a necessity today, as humans, we need to find new ways of treating, cooping, and overcoming the influence of our surroundings. With proper training, and possible therapy, agression can be controlled.
I would like to know more about an increased chance of sexual misconduct. How does this increase in women vs men? Are women more likely to act out when faced with the same challenge? Please support your answers. If a male solder is currently more likely to disregard safety when a female is injured, this could be a dilemma that needs to be addressed. I am confident that as humans, Americans, men, and women we can incorporate the training that is required to teach men and women how to safely interact with each other in the "workplace".
Jason759

Con

Jason759 forfeited this round.
Kenmrry

Pro

Kenmrry forfeited this round.
Jason759

Con

Even with training, instincts and hormones are very hard to over come. As it is we are constantly blasted not to date within the same chain of command, yet it happens. Now you happen to get a little romantic with another person, and rounds coming down range on them. Genetically you will want to act and save them. Which is the case in situations like that, but the romance between the two can actually trigger something in the brain that will ignore their training. I once read that affectionate hormones in the brain actually inhibit your ability to reason for a short period of time. Add in the hormonal mess of being in a country that hates you, people firing at you, and now your girlfriend/boyfriend is being shot at. It is hazardous to the unit in general. One soldier goes down, hurts. Now two go down, potentially more. It is going to hinder military effectiveness.
Kenmrry

Pro

Kenmrry forfeited this round.