In4it
Toxifrost

Should women carry handguns?

Toxifrost

In4it

Pro

Women should stop the chances that they will become the victim of a violent crime, and start carrying handguns to protect themselves. Why should a woman have to endure a rape or worse die at the hands of the growing number of violent offenders, just waiting for her around nearly every corner. Another side to this is that one sane person could save countless lives, in the right situation.
Toxifrost

Con

I would like to thank Pro for opening this discussion and I am looking forward to a constructive debate.
I will be arguing the antithesis of this argument which is to say that all women should NOT start carrying handguns to protect themselves. I will be arguing this under the point that firearms in the wrong hands lead to uneccessary deaths.

I will be opening my arguments in the next round. Good luck to pro.
In4it

Pro

Women can be trusted to make the right decision when it comes to owning and carrying a firearm, but I would agree that they should seek training prior to carrying their weapons. The world can be a very scary place, especially at night, coming from a night club or something. Recently a guy from Philly disappeared coming out of a club, and he was found in the river. A couple shopping for a car, are murdered for their money? The stories go on and on, literally. It really isn't a gender thing either, like the other comment said, we all need to protect ourselves. Our little "Melting Pot" is gettin' a little more polluted.
Toxifrost

Con

Toxifrost forfeited this round.
In4it

Pro

Hmmmm? Your way or the highway huh? I'll still take the win ty!!!
Toxifrost

Con

Alright, while I apologize for forfeiting the last round as I got caught up with work and had completely forgotten about this debate I will be presenting my arguments now.

Now while women and men for that matter should be able to protect themselves in these urban settings that pro has presented this does not constitute the opinion that they should start carrying handguns. Now in the way that pro has worded her argument it's clear that the people she suggests would be carrying these guns are people who are nervous and under quite a bit of momentary stress. Putting a gun in the hands of a person such as this is simply a recipe for disaster.

The effects of stress on the body are too numerous to properly list and vary from person to person however the American Institute of Stress lists some of the most common and widespread which include fidgeting, trouble making decisions, increased edginess, overreaction to petty annoyances, and an increase in minor accidents. Throw all these symptoms into someone who is in fear of getting raped and losing their life, toss a gun in their hands and you have some innocent people who are probably going to get shot. Now while in an extreme state of stress the body will perceive anything outside what normally happens as an immediate threat. With the fidgeting and blurred decision making skills mentioned earlier a person is extremely likely to respond aggressively to nonaggression related stimuli. With a gun with them they will not only respond aggressively but also fatally.

Really there's not much else to say as pro has only set this discussion up for 3 rounds and hasn't actually presented any arguments other than "Sometimes people commit crimes against other people" which we already knew. Handguns are not the solution to the possibility of rape and murder in areas where they may occur. A more rational solution would be a non lethal type of defense, which is already widely popular in the form of mace. Handguns would simply cause more uneccessary deaths than they would actually save.

Sources: http://www.stress.org...
http://www.stress.org...
Posted by Toxifrost 2 years ago
Toxifrost
In4it I'd ask you to keep the petty insults out of the comments, besides I spelled one word wrong in that sentence and it was late. Also as you only have this one debate in your history for a discussion like this next time open in up for more rounds and perhaps actually set out some sort of format and structure for the debate.
Posted by In4it 2 years ago
In4it
" I will be arguing this under the point that firearms in the wrong hands lead to uneccessary deaths."
Hmmm... Spelling too? Tsk Tsk
Posted by In4it 2 years ago
In4it
Uh, you asked me for mine!
Posted by Toxifrost 2 years ago
Toxifrost
In4it I havent actually made any arguments or anything. On this site the first round is traditionally set aside for opening statements, definitions, and the acceptance of the debate terms. Ill be posting my arguments later.
Posted by In4it 2 years ago
In4it
I appreciate the chance to debate with you ToxiFrost, but do you have proof of your theory? Have the murder rates gone up in places where the right to carry has been enacted? Or does it do the exact opposite, and actually lower the crime rates in those areas? Are woman more or less likely to make the right choice, in these situations? Please cite your sources as well, Ty, ~Kelly~
Posted by In4it 2 years ago
In4it
http://www.cnn.com...
Wow I just learned that Shane Montgomery's death was ruled an accident, the missing student found in the river. But in my defense, I could find you thousands of stories, and it (crime) CAN happen anywhere, anytime! My father was a cop when I was growing up in St. Johns, Missouri. My most memorable memory of that kind was a mass murder at a local cafeteria, and how that situation could have gone differently if one sane person had a weapon? The grief that could have been spared the victims of Mr. Byrd, and many like him?http://archive.ksdk.com...
http://notinmyname.livejournal.com...
Posted by Toxifrost 2 years ago
Toxifrost
Pro please cite the examples you use.
Posted by Toxifrost 2 years ago
Toxifrost
You can probably expect my first arguments in the morning. I wanted to snag up this topic but Im too tired to debate.
Posted by basils 2 years ago
basils
Well yeah... unless you mean just women.
Vote Placed by RomanCatholic 2 years ago
RomanCatholic
In4itToxifrostTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro has better conduct, did not forfeit a round, con is only one who posted sources