Darkluma1020
1Credo

Should women have a right to do abortion surgery?

1Credo

Darkluma1020

Pro

Women have a right to not have a child if they want. But when she gets pregnant and she doesn't want the baby? She can get an abortion surgery if she wants. It's ultimately her decision.
As a feminist, I believe in women's right to choose. So they she be allowed to not start a family if they want!
1Credo

Con

Acceptance

I accept. I'd like to thank my opponent for creating this debate. I will be defending the view that abortion is wrong. I will begin by presenting a deductive logical argument against abortion before addressing my opponent's argument(s). I look forward to a good discussion!

Argument Against Abortion

Premise 1: Murder is wrong
Premise 2: The killing of an innocent human is murder
Premise 3: A fetus is an innocent human
Conclusion: The killing of a fetus is wrong

In order to reject the conclusion that "the killing of a fetus is wrong", my opponent must falsify at least one of the argument's premises. Until my opponent is able to accomplish this, the conclusion that "the killing of a fetus is wrong" stands.

As the first two premises are fairly self-explanatory and uncontroversial, I will dedicate the majority of my time to defending the third premise, which states that "a fetus is an innocent human". The word fetus is a description of a particular human developmental stage. Such words commonly used to describe various stages of human life: fetus, infant, toddler, child, adolescent, adult, etc. It would be absurd to say something along the lines of, "that's not a human being, that's a toddler!" It's evident that toddlers are of the species homo sapien. In the very same way, it is evident that fetuses inside of a homo sapien womb are homo sapien fetuses. It'd be very strange indeed if a homo sapien male and a homo sapien female mated to produce offspring of some other species. So, I think it's as clear as night and day that a fetus is a human, regardless of developmental stage, geographic location, etc. But if it's true that a fetus is a human (an innocent one), then it follows from the deductive argument that the killing of a fetus (abortion) is wrong.

Rebuttal

"Women have a right to not have a child if they want."

Women do have this right. No one can (legally) force a women to conceive a child. If a woman does not want a child, then the woman should not make decisions that result in pregnancy.

"But when she gets pregnant and she doesn't want the baby?"

Adoption seems to be a very reasonable option to me, especially given the alternative option is murder.

"She can get an abortion surgery if she wants. It's ultimately her decision."

We aren't debating whether or not she "can", we're debating whether or not she "should".

"As a feminist, I believe in women's right to choose."

As someone who affirms human rights, I believe men and women should not have the right to "choose" murder.

"So they she be allowed to not start a family if they want!"

Again, women have the legal option to not start a family. Women can avoid making decisions that could potentially result in pregnancies or, if a pregnancy occurs, women can choose adoption for their child. Both of these perfectly good options allow women to not start families if they do not want to.

Summary

Through a deductive logical argument, I have shown that abortion is wrong. I await my opponent's response to this argument. As it stands, it seems to me that abortion is the killing of an innocent human and as such is wrong.

http://www.tandfonline.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://www.plannedparenthood.org...
Darkluma1020

Pro

Darkluma1020 forfeited this round.
1Credo

Con

Extend arguments
Darkluma1020

Pro

Sorry for forfeiting last round.

You make a persuasive argument, but think about this: who is in control of a woman's body: the same woman or the government? The answer is of course, the woman. It is her body, on her two legs, with her two hands. And since she is the one who controls her body, she is ultimately the one who decides over whether she wants a baby or not. Besides, what if she was raped? It's highly unlikely, but what if she got pregnant from that? Would she want the baby she got from a rapist?

Don't get me wrong, I know that abortion is kind of murderer, but I still think it's the woman who controls her own body.
1Credo

Con

Thanks, Pro.

Rebuttal

"You make a persuasive argument, but think about this: who is in control of a woman's body: the same woman or the government?"

Remember that it is not just the woman's body that ought to be considered here; the body of the fetus must also be considered. While the woman ought to have rights over her body, those rights should not enable her to bring harm upon the bodies of others (like the fetus).

"And since she is the one who controls her body, she is ultimately the one who decides over whether she wants a baby or not. Besides, what if she was raped?"

I'm not in any way advocating for the position that forced pregnancies are morally justified. What I would say is that one crime does not justify another. If a woman is a victim of rape, that does not give her the right to murder. If a woman is raped, she has the option of adopting the child to a family if she decides that she is unable (or unwilling) to raise the child herself. I'd hope that we could both agree that this option is preferable to murdering the child.

"Don't get me wrong, I know that abortion is kind of murder"

Concession noted.

Argument Against Abortion

Premise 1: Murder is wrong
Premise 3: A fetus is an innocent human

My opponent has not attempted to argue against any of the premises of the argument against abortion. In fact, she has conceded that abortion is murder: "Don't get me wrong, I know that abortion is kind of murder". As such, the conclusion of the argument against abortion ("The killing of a fetus is wrong") is sound.

Summary

My opponent has failed to justify her position that women should have the right to abortion. Moreover, she has accepted that abortion is murder and has not attempted to refute the argument against abortion that I presented. We can then reasonably conclude that women ought not have the right to abortion.

http://www.tandfonline.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://www.plannedparenthood.org...
Posted by Darkluma1020 2 years ago
Darkluma1020
Looks like i'm going to lose the debate. oh, well, i'm starting to think i'm wrong about the argument myself. Thank you, 1Credo for the debate, and i'd like to do this again sometime.
Posted by cwt002 2 years ago
cwt002
Wow Pro's argument, I know it is murder but do not care.
Posted by GainWisdom 2 years ago
GainWisdom
Women who have an abortion have a better chance of getting breast cancer.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Darkluma10201CredoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by cwt002 2 years ago
cwt002
Darkluma10201CredoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con better arguments, sources.....Pro ff, and did not refute anything