juli.marie00
DNehlsen

Should women have to pay for feminine products?

DNehlsen

juli.marie00

Con

I believe that women shouldn't have to pay for feminine products. The companies are basically saying that they want to make money off of us because we have no choice but to buy them or get blood in clothes.
DNehlsen

Pro

Feminine products are just that - products. They require material to make and cost money to produce. I'm not to familiar with the minute details of the pricings, whether or not they're overpriced that is, but I do know that a price-tag is essential.

You are a consumer consuming an item. From where is that item going to come? Should it not come from the consumer by means of payment? Men have to purchase razors in order to maintain a basic standard of appearance, and in many circumstances to maintain a job. We do not request that a razor is free simply because it is a necessity.

Let's get more broad. We all need food in order to live, yet we are not here debating whether or not food should be free. We all need it, but it has to come from somewhere, and it's up to the consumer to ensure that it's paid for.
juli.marie00

Con

We are basically punished for being female. Guys? You can go to any Planned Parenthood place and get contraception. We don't get that option. We don't choose if we get a period. We don't control it. We have to change feminine products every hour, plus there's Midol/Pamprin if we start cramping. Tylenol doesn't help. Or ibuprofen. Men can get all the free condoms they want (not required) but women have to pay for friggin pads and tampons (required obviously). It's unfair...If I saved all the money I spent on Midol, pads, and jeans because of periods? I could buy a 42" flat screen tv!
DNehlsen

Pro

You can go to any Planned Parenthood place and get contraception...Men can get all the free condoms they want (not required) but women have to pay for friggin pads and tampons
Number one, you can only get free condoms at certain places. If you don't have access to an area which supplies them for free, you will need to travel to get them, and thus spend gas money, or pay for them.

Number two, condoms prevent the spread of many diseases, including and most notably pregancy. Condoms are just as much for women as they are for men.

Number three, much of the reason condoms are free, is because they wouldn't be used otherwise. The freeness of it increases it's use. I'd be willing to bet the consumtion of tampons wouldn't go up too much just cause they were made free. Women still use them. If men don't often pay for condoms then this is a win-win for everyone.

Number four, I am of the opinion that they shouldn't be free, and that if people don't care to use protection that's their own dilemma and choice. Therefore, this point is ultimantly irrelevant to this debate, ignoring the fact that it helps my point of view rather than yours.

If I saved all the money I spent on Midol, pads, and jeans because of periods? I could buy a 42" flat screen tv!
Yeah, and if I saved all the money I ever spent on anything in the world because I got it all for free, I'd have all the money I've spent in my life back! Crazy huh? Unfortunately the world has no obligation to any of us. We pay for what we use and do.

My point about Men's razors went unaddressed. My point about food also went unaddressed. These are both things that are required, either by nature or by society, and still cost money.

Isn't it unfair that I'm being charged for food when I need to re-eat every 6 hours?
Isn't it unfair that I'm being charged for buying clothes when it's society that demans I wear clothes in the first place?
Isn't it unfair that I'm being charged for my car's gas when I need my car to get to work?...Basically being punished for having a job!
Isn't life unfair?
juli.marie00

Con

Razors? You choose to shave. You don't have to drive. Yeah, you have to eat, but there are ways to not pay? Some communities have food pantries. It's your call. Women still don't choose to bleed for a week straight. Clothes? You don't have to buy. There are ways to get help getting clothes if money is tight. Feminine products aren't optional. They aren't a choice, or lifestyle. They're a necessity. People think it's gross if you don't use them. I'm not saying everything should be free. Condoms? They aren't a necessity. You don't have to have sex. You choose to.
DNehlsen

Pro

Razors? You choose to shave.
Incorrect. Many jobs require facial hair to be well kept. Some men grow facial hair much faster and radically than others. While need is an unfortunate term, you do in fact 'need' to shave for many occupational and social purposes.

Despite this, razors aren't free.

You don't have to drive.

Actually I do in order to keep my job. If I walked it would take me an hour and a half to reach my job. That means I must walk outside for three hours a day to get to and from work. That's nearly half the time I spend at the job itself.

Some people have to commute long distances to make it to work or school. (university) Because of this driving is practically essential.

Many jobs have their workers wear uniforms or suits. If you were to walk for three hours a day these items would be damaged by rain, snow, slips and falls, as well as various other enviormental attritions. This goes against the policy of a well-kept uniform that many establishments carry. Walking for an hour and a half, especially during the summer, is sure to bring up a sweat as well which makes your clothes wet, smell and overall gross. The same goes for the individuals in the clothes.

Also, what of the people who drive for a living, such as delivery drivers? Are they not required to drive?

Despite all of this, gas still isn't free.

Yeah, you have to eat, but there are ways to not pay? Some communities have food pantries. It's your call...Clothes? You don't have to buy. There are ways to get help getting clothes if money is tight.
I'm sure there are societies somewhere that attempt to hand out tampons. If there aren't, it must not be too pressing of a matter.

And yes, you do need to buy clothes. Even if you can get cheap regular clothes you won't be able to find properly fitting and appropriate dress material such as suits and ties. These items are required by many jobs, student/club activites, funerals and weddings.

You'd get just as many glaring looks showing up to a funeral in your Goodwill ripped jeans and hoodie as you would if you showed up somewhere with a red crotch.

I'm not saying everything should be free. Condoms? They aren't a necessity. You don't have to have sex. You choose to.
You're the one who brought up condoms, not me. Fact of the matter is people have sex. That's not changing. Some people deem it fit to provide free protection since this is going to happen regardless of whether or not it is provided. If it costs money it will not be used.

I've already agreed I don't think they should be free, so your point is still irrelevant.

They aren't a choice, or lifestyle. They're a necessity. People think it's gross if you don't use them.
Everything I've listed isn't a choice. They're still not free. Let's look at some more examples of necessities that just aren't free.

Lights & Electricity - Pretty much everything in modern civilization is dependant upon this. Still not free.
College Tuition - College is just expected for most people, and it's one of the most expensive things anyone is gonna do.
Hygene Products - Toothpaste, Toothburshes etc. Everyone expects you to maintain hygene, including employers. Still not free.
Homes - Everyone needs a place to live, yet houses still aren't free.
Weddings - Marriage and thus weddings are expected by society today. Weddings are one of the most expensive events ever.
Health Insurance - No comment needed.
All other Toiletries - Why aren't you protesting it all?

Among countless others, there are just things we all have to do or are at the very least expected to do that cost money. If we made Tampons free where does it end? What is the next free thing? Who's paying for it? Tax-payers? So everyone else is paying for your toiletries? That sounds pretty stupid to me.

Nothing is really free anyways. If tax-payers are paying for your tampons, and you're a tax-paying citizen, (which if you're not paying taxes why are you getting things for free from our nation?) then you're still paying for tampons still. Nice plan!

Since my opponent is so keen on sugguesting outlandish workarounds for free food and sugguesting we don't need cars, allow me to do the same. If your period is so bad, you could just stay home and bleed in your bath tub - no tampon needed! If you really must leave the home, I'm sure you could make your own toilet-paper or paper-towel substitute using free McDonalds material. Based on the same standards you've sugguested I don't need to pay for my car and food I can conclude you don't need tampons either.
Posted by A341 4 months ago
A341
For some reason I can't vote but for one if someone writes 5 times as much as you, you've probably lost. Also there are plenty of essentials people have to pay for. I pay for food, housing, dental care, some medical stuff ect. All of these are essential but because they aren't associated with gender no one thinks that they have to be paid for by the government.
Posted by DNehlsen 4 months ago
DNehlsen
@Bitch_Goddess
Gender neutral or not, they are all needed by people. Therefore they are necessities. These things are still not free. The fact that periods only effects women makes it no more or less relevant. To say gender-neutral examples don't apply is pretty sexist don't you think?

Men with beards lose their jobs. I have no damn clue what you're even talking about in regard to facial hair damaging clothes.

Driving is required by many people for many purposes. It is a privilege, but it has become a way of life for most and a source of income for many. Driving is no less important than someone having a red crotch.

Everything that is not needed for survival (Anything not food, water or shelter) is a privilege. That includes your privilege of not having a red crotch. Get over it.
Posted by Bitch_Goddess 4 months ago
Bitch_Goddess
The comparisons that Pro makes are all gender-neutral items. Therefore, cannot be related to this. I honestly wonder if Pro were to bleed from his penis, have horrible cramps, and be nauseous for an entire week straight every single month, if his views would change.
Shaving, is indeed, optional. Having hair on your face that causes no damage to your clothing, repetitively might I add, because it is "unpredictable" is not the same as having blood stain through your white pants in front of people due to having a sudden on-set menstrual cycle.

Driving is a privilege. Therefore, we pay to have that privilege. Having the required necessities to keep from having your clothing bloodied because of being a woman should not be something we have to pay for. Because requiring necessities, and needing these products to process throughout our day without permanent staining and horrible issues, should not be considered a privilege BECAUSE of her being a woman.
Having a beard causes no physical issues for men (especially out in public). Having blood-stained underwear and pants, however, does.
It should not be a privilege for women to acquire pads and tampons when these very things help them get through the day over something they cannot control.
Posted by juli.marie00 4 months ago
juli.marie00
Until you have a period and know what it's like? How about just...not. The cramping, the bloating, the nausea, the crying, the mood swings, the cravings, the BLOOD. You can't understand because you don't deal with it.
Posted by What50 4 months ago
What50
If you have a problem with buying tampons either 1. Find a store that will sell tampons at a cheaper price. 2. Make your own tampons. 3. Don't use tampons at all or find an alternative.
Posted by juli.marie00 4 months ago
juli.marie00
Actually...You choose to shave and to be with said crazy girl...Just saying. We don't choose periods.
Posted by What50 4 months ago
What50
Wait where do men get free condoms?
Posted by Masterful 4 months ago
Masterful
Just make your own tampons, get some toilet roll and craft it into a tampon shape.
You're not being punished for being a woman, it's us guys who have to deal with you when you're on your period, we're the ones being punished here.

How about the government starts paying for our razors, we have to shave everyday.
How about the government starts paying for our rehabilitation after being in a relationship with a crazy bi*ch.
Posted by newstein 4 months ago
newstein
Delusion at its best here folks.

We all have to pay for something
Vote Placed by QueenDaisy 4 months ago
QueenDaisy
juli.marie00DNehlsenTied
Reasons for voting decision: This comes down to an idealism vs realism debate- in an ideal world, no one would have to pay for anything and I'd technically agree with Con. However, practicality dictates this cannot happen, as things have to be paid for. Con proposed a very radical idea- that menstruation products should be free- and simply didn't back this up other than with a bunch of irrelevant rambling. All Pro needed to do to win the argument was to point out that things need to be paid for, since Con hasn't specified who would pay for their idea, and Pro did this and hence won arguments. Neither had any conduct issues, any SP&G that hindered the flow of their argument, or provided any sources. Feedback for Con: if you provide a radical motion like this, you must make it very clear how it would be implemented and by whom. If there's any doubt as to what you mean, you will lose.
Vote Placed by levi_smiles 4 months ago
levi_smiles
juli.marie00DNehlsenTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con has the best burden of proof here & must support a fairly extraordinary claim. Con never bothers to supply a subject for a policy argument: who supplies the products based on what justification? The govt? Parents? Manufacturers? Con's exclusive argument is based on involuntary need but never supplies a framework for us to discover how involuntary functions authorize special policy (much less why one gender's involuntary functions require exclusive funding). Pro has it easy but covers the bases with reasonable counters & correctly highlights Con's lack of engagement.