nicole52
Guidestone

Should women & men have equal rights in every country?

Guidestone

nicole52

Pro

This is my first time starting a debate so I would like to thank whoever accepts my challenge.

1. I would like to debate the fact of woman having the same rights as men in all countries. I think it is hurrendous, that in certain countries, woman cannot drive, wear pants, show their faces or hair except to their husband and in some places cannot vote. This is not a feminist debate, this is a debate of equality. If anyone disagree's with these view's please accept and explain your reasons why.

2. I would like to point out that some of these rules are government decided whilst some are religion based. So share both views.

Hoping to hear soon.
Guidestone

Con

I appreciate you proposing this topic. It should be interesting.

I would like to start by saying that Pro doesn't even believe her own position that women & men should have equal rights in every country. She has stated in the comments that "Men don't deserve maternity rights" (See comments). If women have maternity rights and men don't they obviously don't have equal rights. This isn't necessarily bad, people just need to realize that men and women are different and deserve different rights.
nicole52

Pro

Thanks, yeah this should be interesting.
I do believe my own comments, but how it is equal men deserving maternity rights for women being or getting pregnant. Men don't go through the pain or emotions that we do when pregnant. That's a different scenario to what I am debating anyway. But I do humour you on trying to turn my own comments against me. Maybe when a male pushes a 7lb 8oz baby out of his body, goes through a caesarian or gets a lot of stitches then yeah give him maternity rights. Until that day there is no male that will understand the degree off pain women go through to bring new males and females into this world.

I am trying to debate the reasons for these stupendous rules still existing. Such as the ones stated in the first arguement. I am talking about political rights, humanitarian rights and why you dont really see women in power in such countries. By accepting this debate you agreed to argue the stance of woman not having these rights. So instead of trying to mock my comments, explain your stance.

Back to you, con.
Guidestone

Con

My opponent still insists on giving different rights to men and women, which is opposite of her position. Another possible right would be a woman right to choose, unless you think the father should have equal say in case of abortion which many don't.

My opponent also states "I would like to debate the fact of a woman having the same rights as men in all countries." this is the debate I accepted not what she claims in the second round of "to debate the reasons for these stupendous rules still existing." she is changing the topic because she had a self defeating case for not believing her own stance.

She also states "By accepting this debate you agreed to argue the stance of woman not having these rights." I guess I could entertain this. You mention showing face or hair to only their husband. This is her choice to take part in this tradition, and not a violation of any right.

nicole52

Pro

nicole52 forfeited this round.
Guidestone

Con

It is unfortunate that my opponent forfeited this round. I was looking forward to an interesting debate.
Posted by DPL 3 years ago
DPL
I believe that Pro had a difficult time communicating her thoughts and was not treated in a manner that facilitated bringing her perspective to our attention. Con did not misbehave (con could have been more polite), used more than adequate sentence structure, and provided clarity in his arguments. Had the Pro side had assistance I believe the debate may have been better represented.
Posted by Guidestone 3 years ago
Guidestone
Here is how

Claim: Men & Women should have equal rights

Should Women have maternity rights?: Yes
Should Men have maternity rights?: No

Do Men and Women have equal rights then?: Obviously not

Conclusion: You don't think Men and Women should have equal rights.
Posted by nicole52 3 years ago
nicole52
Read the debate, how is it self defeating? It is not equal giving men maternity rights when they did not go through 40 weeks of pregnancy. In England men get paternity leave, what for? because it sure as hell was not them suffering braxton hicks or anxieties. It would be self defeat if I said they deserve it! I'm arguing that people should have equal rights there's nothing equal about giving a man time off work for something he did not go through. No ill think youll find it was completely necessary when people are being narrow minded and trying to use something I said against myself.
Posted by Guidestone 3 years ago
Guidestone
I noticed it, I just didn't know the fancy term for it.
Posted by OtakuJordan 3 years ago
OtakuJordan
Heh, I was wondering if someone would pick up on the cognitive dissonance that Pro displayed in the comments and try to argue from it.
Posted by OtakuJordan 3 years ago
OtakuJordan
I believe that what Installgentoo is trying to say is that there are approximately zero people on this site who are going to argue with you as to whether or not women should have equal rights to men. Calling him a halfwit was highly unnecessary. Unless Con exhibits worse behavior, that is going to cost you a conduct point at the end of the debate.
Posted by Guidestone 3 years ago
Guidestone
If you say men should not have maternity rights then why are you pro women & men have equal rights in every country? You are not giving equal rights to both, It is self defeating.
Posted by nicole52 3 years ago
nicole52
There are many countries in this world where woman's lives are significantly worse than men's, because men have many more options than woman. And there are people in the world who believe it should stay this way. So there are 2 sides to this debate. The post by Guidestone is the type of thing i'm talking about. Men don't deserve maternity rights I don't see them pregnant 40 weeks and then going through labor.
Posted by Guidestone 3 years ago
Guidestone
One could argue that women deserve maternity rights while men should not have similar rights.
Posted by ConformistDave 3 years ago
ConformistDave
have to agree with installgentoo, as I'm not sure how this can be a debate. the real question is whether with the recent revolutions in Syria, Egypt, and Libya if there are any viable alternatives to western liberalism as put forth by Francis Fukuyama.
Vote Placed by OtakuJordan 3 years ago
OtakuJordan
nicole52GuidestoneTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was crass in the debate and rude in the comments. Con pointed out her cognitive dissonance and she forfeited.
Vote Placed by ndedo 3 years ago
ndedo
nicole52GuidestoneTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff and seems to miss the point of Con's argument. Con displayed a contradiction in Pro's stance, so he gets arguments. Also he had better S&G.