jodiea01
Italkalot

Should written tests be done over practical tests?

jodiea01

Con

I am a student myself and feel that we should be tested on the work we do in class and also the amount we contribute to lessons. I can guarantee that children work and perform better this way.

I, myself, contribute quite a lot in class and generally do well in work and course work. This should be what we get graded on. Written tests only show a small proportion of the work we do well. If the examiners came in for a week to see our classes then we would probably be able to achieve much more.
Italkalot

Pro

Good Afternoon, I would first like to applaud you for your courage to bring this opinion to an open space, and I look forward to having a civil discussion over the next couple of days. With that said, I will begin.

Standardize testing has been a common place principle in American schools for "Over 50 years" according to Time magazine. I'm not aware of your area of residence, but I shall give you the opinion of an American Highschooler prepping for his Jr. year.

Now Standardize testing is defined as "A test that is administered and scored in a constant, or standard manner" the definition shows the benefit of standardize testing. A constant standard manner. These tests help colleges pick the hard workers from the slackers born with natural talent. If two kids with the same IQ are told that they're taking the ACT in a week, and one of them studies until they simply cannot stay awake whereas the other does nothing. It is expected that the student who studied receives a higher score.
jodiea01

Con

I agree that it seperates that workers from slackers those with natural born talent. However, the point that still stands yet I failed to mention (sorry on my part) is that sometimes people - teens escpecially - perform worse under pressure. They feel pressured into saying certain things. This forces a grade that they don't deserve.

I know that the work I do is better when it is homework or in class. Coursework, for example, is better than a test. I always get a better grade for course work. At the end of the day, people feel less pressured in a class situation or at home. It is more relaxed and no one feels as tense so the atmosphere, automatically, is better. BTEC Drama is mostly practical with coursework to support and it's got high grades. It is also enjoyable for the students.

I live in England and this is always and has always been the case.
Italkalot

Pro

Italkalot forfeited this round.
jodiea01

Con

jodiea01 forfeited this round.
Italkalot

Pro

Italkalot forfeited this round.
Posted by Tong 2 years ago
Tong
People will eventually meet some situation that he needs to work under pressure other than standardized test. It's better to have some experience on handling those situation in the early stage of his life than break that tension rope during his work.
Posted by Alpha3141 2 years ago
Alpha3141
What do you mean by "practical tests"? I think you mean being graded on entire course work performance over mainly being graded on the big final tests in school? Also, you seem to already presuppose that it is better, because in the question you use the term "practical tests". You might want to clarify and rewrite the question, because the question seems to benefit you and hinder your opponent.