kaelanred1
Shrek_sDrecKid

Should you be able to travel anywhere for free?

Shrek_sDrecKid

kaelanred1

Pro

Shrek_sDrecKid

Con

I accept the challenge and will be debating why you should not travel anywhere for free.
kaelanred1

Pro

kaelanred1 forfeited this round.
Shrek_sDrecKid

Con

Shrek_sDrecKid forfeited this round.
kaelanred1

Pro

It's just that most people in the world don't have enough money to travel, so if they got to travel for free, they could experience happiness at least once in their life time! Shouldn't everyone experience traveling somewhere else at least once!
Shrek_sDrecKid

Con

Travelling for free should not be legalized as it creates many unintended negative side effects and consequences that both the government and the people must suffer to. Though it has worked in the ancient times, we are no longer in the past and in the modern (technically post-modern) age; therefore, any benefits that occurred from free travelling no longer applies. With many current problems that are already arising from paid travelling, one can only imagine the consequences that would emerge from free travelling.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most obvious negative effect that free travelling brings would be a surplus amount of people that would travel. Because travelling would become free, much more people than before would want to travel wherever they please. This would result in the government being forced to manufacture and monitor over more planes, ships, and other international methods of transportation than before. Again, such an effect would cause another negative effect to arise - increased delays, radio signal interference/confusion, and higher risk of vehicle collisions. Such an effect, again, would cause smaller effects such as deaths; I can continue to go on explaining the negative effects of surplus amount of people, so I will stop here as I think I have done enough.

Another negative effect would be increased costs in travelling related...costs. Since travelling becomes free, the government would be forced to increase the costs elsewhere to make up for the loss of profit from travelling. Examples would include air-plane of boat food, hotel luxuries (i.e., internet, water, anything that costs extra money at hotels), and any fees or fines resulting in travelling infractions. Why would the government do that? To make up what they lose from travelling tickets and related prices. Now, depending on the person travelling, this may or may not negatively affect them; some would like this approach, others like me would hate or dislike it.

Crime is an effect that would obviously come from free travelling - let me explain if you do not understand this. As travelling becomes free, this would allow more criminals to attempt to escape the country they are in. Most criminals would not have the money to to travel (except for organized crime, gangs/mafia, terrorists, and hackers) as they were poor to begin with or had all (or most) of their money confiscated by the government. By allowing it to be free, more criminals could easily get out of the country to commit more crimes or escape persecution of their current crimes. Criminals that can afford it would also participate and would be even easier for them. It would also let international or foreign criminals to enter the country as well (like ISIS). So these negative effects do not make travelling a good idea to be made free.
"It's just that most people in the world don't have enough money to travel, so if they got to travel for free, they could experience happiness at least once in their life time! Shouldn't everyone experience traveling somewhere else at least once!"

Allowing more people to experience happiness is a good thing, but allowing it to be free of charge would cause many criminals, alternative travelling costs, and amount of travelers to increase. Then, those that do travel for free would regret that it was originally free due to these negative effects. Experiencing happiness is not just limited to travelling - opponent is either assuming that happiness is only achieved through travelling, or that it is one of the main methods, which it is not. Alternatives that can make one happy include pursuing one's life goals and dreams, doing their favorite hobbies, or trying to find new ways to increase happiness - as well as trying to reduce or eliminate sources of unhappiness.

With my rebuttals, arguments, and thesis explained out, I hope that opponent can effectively refute all of my rebuttals as well as creating new arguments to strengthen what they are arguing in this debate. I also hope that they do not forfeit or use terrible excuses to not continue debating in the future rounds.
kaelanred1

Pro

kaelanred1 forfeited this round.
Shrek_sDrecKid

Con

I extend my arguments.
kaelanred1

Pro

kaelanred1 forfeited this round.
Shrek_sDrecKid

Con

I extend my arguments and I should be voted and win!
Posted by kaelanred1 2 years ago
kaelanred1
sorry i forfeited, i was a way
Posted by Shrek_sDrecKid 2 years ago
Shrek_sDrecKid
Pathetic how you forfeit - I will still debate regardless if you show up or not.
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 2 years ago
Paleophyte
kaelanred1Shrek_sDrecKidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit by Pro
Vote Placed by Valkrin 2 years ago
Valkrin
kaelanred1Shrek_sDrecKidTied