Flynn1999
Slinky.thedog8

Should you be over 25 to rent a car?

Started: 5/2/2016 Category: Cars

Flynn1999

Con

I think you should be able to rent a car when you become old enough to drive without any restrictions on your license, which is 18. Now there alternatives to renting a car. Such as you might have to pass another driving test to see if you can drive a car safely. Maybe you would have to have a separate special addition to your license to drive a rental car. Either way, the way we rent cars now a days is broken and needs to be fixed. Your thoughts?
Slinky.thedog8

Pro

Youth can be a paradox: If you're age 18 or older you're considered mature enough to be able to vote, pay taxes, and even go to war. But, until recently, if you were under 25, many rental car companies wouldn't trust you to drive their vehicles.

Because drivers under 25 statistically get into more auto accidents than other age groups, car rental agencies have long penalized young drivers"even those with good driving records"by charging high daily underage fees, restricting the types of cars that can be rented, and even banning drivers (particularly those ages 18 to 21) from renting at all. So, what's an underage road tripper to do?
Flynn1999

Con

I might have heard your statement wrong, but it sounded like you where arguing my side. I am arguing that people should be under age 25 to rent a car. Just making things clear. I hear what you are saying and I agree with the whole " If you're age 18 or older you're considered mature enough to be able to vote, pay taxes, and even go to war." I think if you are old enough to do those things you can certainly be old enough to rent a car. I believe rental car services tend to be very safe when it comes to renting out cars that are very expensive. I believe instead of not letting a 19 year old go on vacation with his friends with a rental car, he should be tested to see if he can drive a rental car. I also believe that rental car services need to have a better form of insurance. Right now if you were to wreck a rental car, your insurance would cover it. You would loose your deposit with the rental company and your insurance would go up. That leaves the rental car company in the hole with no car because its totaled and the insurance only covers what the damage did to the car. They need to make a better insurance policy, not tell young drivers that they are more likely to get into a car accident then a forty year old man does. My point here is that it all boils down to the rental company being more prepared for car accidents, because that's the inevitable. Your thoughts?
Slinky.thedog8

Pro

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, thought I was the con sorry! (I feel dumb)
Flynn1999

Con

You are fine, go ahead and try to make your point in these last few rounds.
Slinky.thedog8

Pro

Slinky.thedog8 forfeited this round.