rraphael
jenkinsm

Should you check grades of youth club sport participants?

rraphael

rraphael

Pro

I am a coach of youth club sport. I feel that I can motivate players by checking grades even though this is not a school sanction sport. While sports can be an important part of a child"s development, school work has a priority over participating in practices or games.

Thoughts?
jenkinsm

Con

I do not believe that you have the right to do that. Grades can be a very personal thing to some people. Checking their grades will not motivate them if they are not good grades. It could actually make them want to quit that team or club. Out of school sports is the one place where kids can have fun with other kids on a team and not have to worry about everyone knowing what you get it or if you are good a school or not. By looking at their grades they know you know how bad they are doing and that can make them not want to be a part of something they are being judged in.
rraphael

Pro

I agree that grades are personal however, its important to note that playing sports is a privilege. I believe that parents agree with this logic, if not then we have another issue to address. If a player has a failing grade, my thought is to use fellow team mates to help them in the subject. (team bonding). While I haven't specifically stated that a player would not play if they receive a failing grade, its important to realize that just by checking the grades places emphasis on the credibility of the sports club organization. The bottom line is that I am trying to get players and parents to realize that academics are important part of life. Also you can tell in the personalities and attitude of players that have failing grades. These player cause problems at practices and games like not paying attention, bullying and not listening. These are thing that I do not want at practices or games.
jenkinsm

Con

Is exercise a privilege? If it is that would make eating and breathing a privilege too. If parents agree with you on the whole exercise is a privilege thing then they would be the ones to look at their grades. I don't think you are raising the children on the team. You should not do their parents jobs for them. I am also curious where you even get the grades from. Most schools would most likely not want some strange person to come in and say I need George's grades. Depending on the age groups you coach, grades may not even count towards their future at all. There are also extremely kind and good listeners that fail because grades are not where their heart is at. They could love the sport they play and not bully people and listen. When you were a kid, did a teacher ever pull you to the side to ask you something personal like grades? The class knows why you were pulled out. Knowing that they know is even worse. The same goes for a team.
rraphael

Pro

When I say privilege, its in the context of devoting time to a sport vs devoting time to school work. I think you would agree that parents would want their child to spend more time on school than on playing a sport. Any in that vein if the parent denies the student to play a sport because they don't have passing grades then it does in fact become a privilege. A parent telling the child that the coach is checking grades will resonate, as the child has a real passion for the sport and will in fact be motivated to do better in school.

I am not asking for the grades, I am asking the student to be responsible and obtain the grades from the teachers. By doing this, the student isn't surprised if they are performing poorly. It also gives the student and teacher a chance to talk about where the student can make improvement.

I am not trying to parent other peoples children, I am trying to make the grades a tool that the parents can use to help guide their children. I do believe that children with poor grades have a tendency to be more disruptive, disobedient etc. ( that is another debate)
jenkinsm

Con

jenkinsm forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by rstreeter13 1 year ago
rstreeter13
rraphaeljenkinsmTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree with pro because grades come before sports