Balacafa
ImTimmyEh

Should you compare the mass farming of animals and their treatment to the holocaust

Balacafa

Balacafa

Con

As con, I will be arguing that the farming of animals cannot be compared to the holocaust. Here is the debate format:

Round 1 : Acceptance (optional introduction to your argument)
Round 2 : Main points and justifications
Round 3: Contradictions
Round 4: Conclusion

Thank you to whoever accepts this debate.
ImTimmyEh

Pro

History tells us that during the holocaust people we're subjected to science and medical experiments. During this time millions of people we're captive and before their horrible death's, they passed through hard labor.
Now, comparing this to mass farming of animals, it's general knowledge that these farms keep thousands of animals trapped in little small cages in which they feed them synthetic hormones. By now, we can find already a relation between both subjects. Giving that these animals are born to just die and cannot live a free life, a life that nature would want them to to live, we can say the same about the holocaust. Adolf Hitler did not give the people he killed a choice, the Nazi's captured the millions of people and kept them in concentration camps till they died. They didn't have a choice. Just like the animals that are victims to these mass farms of animals. When you add the part that they are drugged to later on die, I think that we can compare mass farming with the holocaust.
Balacafa

Con

Your argument is very anthropomorphic.

anthropomorphic -- ascribing human form or attributes to a being or thing not human.

In your argument you assume that just because the animals have been subjected to similar treatment to the millions of victims during the holocaust that it is the same. Well it is not. People can fell emotions that animals cannot - at least not to the same extent as us. Yes I do believe in animal rights but I believe more in human rights than animals rights. Very rarely will animals ever escape these cages. In the Holocaust there were many more survivors who have suffered from serious depression and mental illnesses because of it.

In your argument you have explained the comparison between the two subjects however you have not explained the why it is right to do it. You must remember to include whether it is morally right.

The Holocaust was a horrible event in which six million Jews were slaughtered simply because of their religion, and many additional people were also killed. It is far better to present the basic facts about why animal farming is wrong. It is wrong to make comparisons between the holocaust and the farming of animals because not only because of the previous reasons mentioned but because making comparisons like that is likely to upset holocaust survivors, Jews and people who have relatives who died because of the holocaust. The deaths of individual animals are not recognized today by humans or any species. People who have died during the holocaust who still have relatives are most likely to be missed and remembered today.

http://www.jewishveg.com...

http://dictionary.reference.com...

http://www.hamhigh.co.uk...

http://www.breitbart.com...
ImTimmyEh

Pro

I do agree with the fact that humans feel emotions that animals cannot, though our primitive instincts are to survive and reproduce which is something that they also can relate to us. You mentioned that very rarely animals escape their cage, but the truth is they can't escape becase they neither have the strength, the inteligence nor the proper genetic tools as we have hands, flexibilty and we can use our body in many ways to aid such escapes.
What happens is that they keep animals trapped for whatever time necessary and slaughther them once they are "ready". I don't think this is morally correct, as mentioned above, they don't feel as many but they do feel some emotions. With a quick research I can say that pigs share their hapiness and sandness and feel empathy towards each other. Just like pigs, I am sure there are plenty more and I think it is very selfish of us not being able to compare the holocaust with this mass slaughther. We feel sadness towards other humans becuase we know how to express our emotions and we understand each other and that is why we feel sad when we see holocaust's, mass murders or anything else. I do understand though that this is the way of life but not being able to compare both is just looking the other way, it's bad but we have learned to live through it and just say it's ok.
Balacafa

Con

We can see the relation between us and animals but the animals cannot. I know that animals cannot escape their cages. I said very rarely to avoid a completely separate debate. I am sure that at least one animal has escaped there cage before - but we are getting off topic. I agree that this isn't morally correct. This does not mean that we can compare it to the discriminating and merciless killings of the Jews and other specific groups of people. I am not saying that animals can feel no emotions at all but with a little research I can also tell that although pigs can share basic emotions such as happiness and sadness there memory spans are very short and they cannot pass this through generations. If one pig was killed and another pig shared sadness with it. Then it is most likely that this pig will also be killed. I am not saying that the mass farming of animals is okay but it is inhumane and wrong but comparing to the holocaust is completely different. This topic isn't just about animals. The holocaust was unique to the human condition. What made the holocaust unique was:

"The extermination of the Jews had no political or economic justification."

"The people who carried out the "Final Solution" were primarily average citizens."

"It was the only time in recorded history that a state tried to destroy an entire people, regardless of an individual's age, sex, location, profession, or belief.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...

http://motlc.wiesenthal.com...

http://www.aish.com...
ImTimmyEh

Pro

ImTimmyEh forfeited this round.
Balacafa

Con

My opponent has forfeited I will still conclude my argument ....

CONCLUSION

To conclude this debate I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate and responding to most my arguments. Comparing the mass farming of animals to the holocaust is wrong because not only did the people who were killed/injured suffer, but even today relatives of these people mourn their deaths and are affected by it. It is true that some animals can feel empathy, happiness and sadness but they cannot pass down there sadness for generations to come.

Thank you for this debate. VOTE CON!
ImTimmyEh

Pro

ImTimmyEh forfeited this round.
Posted by Balacafa 2 years ago
Balacafa
Due to my opponent's forfeiture I think that I have won this debate
Posted by Balacafa 2 years ago
Balacafa
Oh! I see what you mean now. Thanks again.
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
If i had accepted i would have argued that you can compare it. Its something I can do, nothing stops me from doing it. I'm not physically unable to compare them. Thats why you change it to should, its then a moral debate of is it correct to compare them.
Posted by ImTimmyEh 2 years ago
ImTimmyEh
I've never done this, trying to get in to debating so sorry if my writing was messy,
Posted by Balacafa 2 years ago
Balacafa
Thanks, I changed it because I am new to this site. I don't get why this debate would get sniped for that though.
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
Change 'can' to 'should' before this debate gets sniped
Vote Placed by tejretics 2 years ago
tejretics
BalacafaImTimmyEhTied
Reasons for voting decision: Multiple forfeits by Pro.